Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 06:39 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Uh seriously Jay? A simple search shows a 250k house and 450k house in Charlotte and Hartford both buy about the same house...

... here are some listings in Matthews and Concord, NC, both which are large suburbs of Charlotte (I know Concord very well, decent area, probably comparable to a Rocky Hill/Newington type town)

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...25_rect/11_zm/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...02_rect/9_zm/?

Now below, see what you can get in Newington and Rocky Hill for over 400k

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...7_rect/11_zm/?

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...9_rect/11_zm/?

So pretty much the exact type house.

The difference is taxes. In NC, these taxes are less than 2k. In Connecticut, these taxes are close to 8k...

Holy cow the bias on this forum is staggering..
Try comparing home prices in comparable communities. Check homes that cost $240,000 in Davidson NC, Fort Mill SC or Cornelius NC (desirable suburbs of Charlotte) to homes costing $429,000 in Glastonbury, Farmington or Simsbury (desirable suburbs of Hartford). That is more fair comparison than a couple of random listings from just any place. Yes, talk about bias. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 06:57 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Try comparing home prices in comparable communities. Check homes that cost $240,000 in Davidson NC, Fort Mill SC or Cornelius NC (desirable suburbs of Charlotte) to homes costing $429,000 in Glastonbury, Farmington or Simsbury (desirable suburbs of Hartford). That is more fair comparison than a couple of random listings from just any place. Yes, talk about bias. Jay
Aren't we talking about average or median? Why in the world would you compare affluent suburb to affluent suburb? Chances are, homes in both will be higher than the median. But, we can play your game...

In Fort Mill, SC, you can build a 4,000 square foot home, with 5 beds and 4.5 baths for 440k. Taxes are $4k a year.

In Glastonbury, a home with similar specs - also new construction - is going for $900k. Taxes are $18k a year.
In Avon, a home with similar specs - also new construction - is going for the high $700s. Taxes are $14k a year.

Davidson, I'll give you, but you need to keep in mind it is a small lakeside community with a population of about 10k, with many, many second homes that are vacant during the week. Cornelius also, where the majority of homes have direct lake frontage, making the prices of homes skyrocket.

You have to put things into perspective, which you are not. To your credit, you likely can't, since you haven't lived and clearly rarely visit Charlotte. But there is a significant difference in home price and the property tax difference can buy someone in CLT a second mortgage if their income allowed. Period.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 07-07-2017 at 07:06 PM..

Old 07-07-2017, 07:02 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,087,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Aren't we talking about average or median? Why in the world would you compare affluent suburb to affluent suburb? Chances are, homes in both will be higher than the median. But, we can play your game...

In Fort Mill, SC, you can build a 4,000 square foot home, with 5 beds and 4.5 baths for 440k. Taxes are $4k a year.

In Glastonbury, a home with similar specs - also new construction - is going for $900k. Taxes are $18k a year.
In Avon, a home with similar specs - also new construction - is going for the high $700s. Taxes are $14k a year.

Davidson, I'll give you, but you need to keep in mind it is a small lakeside community with a population of about 10k, with many, many second homes that are vacant during the week. Cornelius also, where the majority of homes have direct lake frontage, making the prices of homes skyrocket.

You have to put things into perspective, which you are not. To your credit, you likely can't, since you haven't lived and clearly rarely visit Charlotte. But there is a significant difference in home price and the property tax difference can buy someone in CLT a second mortgage if their income allowed. Period.

Now please, enough with the "CT is cheap, yet affluent and perfect" stuff. It's getting tiresome.

A-freaking-men!!!!

Old 07-08-2017, 06:55 AM

4,451 posts, read 3,344,634 times
Retirement cost won't be much different in Branford than it would be in Trumbull.--kidyankee

Average house Trumbull
401,170.....assesment 280,810
280,810 with mill of 33.39 = $9376 yearly taxes

Average house Branford
287,233....assesment 201,063
201,063 with mill of 28.47 = $5724 yearly taxes

Now can you see how it will be easier for me in retirement in Branford? And there is an anomaly that you can't see in all these figures. I want a condo and Trumbull has very little condo stock and they are more on the expensive side. In Branford there are lots of condos. I have never seen so many condos in a small town outside of Southbury. I have way more choices in the $250,000 range (near the average house price so it gets you a decent condo) which is what I am looking to spend.

There is something else I am kind of keeping track of but I would need a realtor to tell me if I am correct on this. It seems like over the past 4-5 years the houses in Trumbull are going up slightly more than in Branford. If that trend continues (FFC getting more expensive and other areas of CT staying flat or going up less) it will also give me even more buying power in that area when I finally move.

I bolded the above because I would like a realtor or anyone who knows to tell me if my hunch if correct.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Retirement cost won't be much different in Branford than it would be in Trumbull.--kidyankee

Average house Trumbull
401,170.....assesment 280,810
280,810 with mill of 33.39 = $9376 yearly taxes

Average house Branford
287,233....assesment 201,063
201,063 with mill of 28.47 = $5724 yearly taxes

Now can you see how it will be easier for me in retirement in Branford? And there is an anomaly that you can't see in all these figures. I want a condo and Trumbull has very little condo stock and they are more on the expensive side. In Branford there are lots of condos. I have never seen so many condos in a small town outside of Southbury. I have way more choices in the $250,000 range (near the average house price so it gets you a decent condo) which is what I am looking to spend.

There is something else I am kind of keeping track of but I would need a realtor to tell me if I am correct on this. It seems like over the past 4-5 years the houses in Trumbull are going up slightly more than in Branford. If that trend continues (FFC getting more expensive and other areas of CT staying flat or going up less) it will also give me even more buying power in that area when I finally move.

I bolded the above because I would like a realtor or anyone who knows to tell me if my hunch if correct.
I'm not sure why you're so fixated on proving Trumbull to be part of wealth culture of Fairfield County. Quite amusing. Cost of living doesn't immediately drop to half when you cross over from Shelton or Trumbull, to Orange and Woodbridge, or from Monroe and Newtown to Oxford. It gradually declines as you move up from New York City. Trumbull is far cheaper and less affluent than Westport, Wilton or Weston.

The point was the difference in cost between Branford/Orange/Woodbridge vs Trumbull wouldn't be nearly as drastic as a Trumbull to Westport comparison. Trumbull far more similar to Orange than it is to Westport. Period.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:05 AM

14,051 posts, read 13,926,968 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why you're so fixated on proving Trumbull to be part of wealth culture of Fairfield County. Quite amusing. Cost of living doesn't immediately drop to half when you cross over from Shelton or Trumbull, to Orange and Woodbridge, or from Monroe and Newtown to Oxford. It gradually declines as you move up from New York City. Trumbull is far cheaper and less affluent than Westport, Wilton or Weston.

The point was the difference in cost between Branford/Orange/Woodbridge vs Trumbull wouldn't be nearly as drastic as a Trumbull to Westport comparison. Trumbull far more similar to Orange than it is to Westport. Period.
Why Easton cost more than Trumbull and what about Fairfield. Monroe is nice town

Old 07-08-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:

The point was the difference in cost between Branford/Orange/Woodbridge vs Trumbull
Average tax in Trumbull = $9376
Average tax in Branford = $5724

Average Branford taxes are 39% less than Trumbull.

I don't know how much simpler I can make it for you.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Average tax in Trumbull = $9376
Average tax in Branford = $5724

Average Branford taxes are 39% less than Trumbull.

I don't know how much simpler I can make it for you.
Let me repost, since you conveniently cut out the most important point I was trying to make.

"The point was the difference in cost between Branford/Orange/Woodbridge vs Trumbull wouldn't be nearly as drastic as a Trumbull to Westport comparison. Trumbull far more similar to Orange than it is to Westport."

I don't know how much simpler I can make it for you

Edit to add: Now do the same for Woodbridge.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Let me repost, since you conveniently cut out the most important point I was trying to make.

"The point was the difference in cost between Branford/Orange/Woodbridge vs Trumbull wouldn't be nearly as drastic as a Trumbull to Westport comparison. Trumbull far more similar to Orange than it is to Westport."

I don't know how much simpler I can make it for you

Edit to add: Now do the same for Woodbridge.
You are cherry picking 2 of the most expensive towns (Orange & Woodbridge) near New Haven. I can't afford to live in Westport and Darien so why would I move to the Westport and Darien of New Haven.

Trumbull is a middle class town of FFC as is Branford to New Haven area. Anyway there are lots of towns in CT outside FFC that are much more affordable than my area and that is the point.

This says it all. I had seen Wilton2Park mention it and now I know it is a fact.

"Fairfield County residents made up about 26% of Connecticut’s total population that year, but paid 43% of the state’s personal income tax."
Trumbull residents paid 11th most income tax in Fairfield County | Trumbull Times

The above is staggering statement and proves how much more expensive FFC is.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:19 AM

14,051 posts, read 13,926,968 times
Quote:
You are cherry picking 2 of the most expensive towns (Orange & Woodbridge) near New Haven. I can't afford to live in Westport and Darien so why would I move to the Westport and Darien of New Haven.

Trumbull is a middle class town of FFC as is Branford to New Haven area. Anyway there are lots of towns in CT outside FFC that are much more affordable than my area and that is the point.

This says it all. I had seen Wilton2Park mention it and now I know it is a fact.

"Fairfield County residents made up about 26% of Connecticut’s total population that year, but paid 43% of the state’s personal income tax."
Trumbull residents paid 11th most income tax in Fairfield County | Trumbull Times

The above is staggering statement and proves how much more expensive FFC is.
Madison, Guilford, Oxford
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut