Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 07:02 PM

440 posts, read 452,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I would not live in Torrington personally but there are some REALLY nice towns nearby. New Hartford and Litchfield.

If you do decide on Torrington, I would just avoid the center.
I have lived in the area and grown up here. There is nothing wrong with the center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I am honestly not familiar enough with the town to suggest a cutoff, but perhaps others here will.
South Main is rough, but it's not Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It's biggest problem is nothing other than its location. Off the beaten path, not near a cultural center, and because of this, there are very little high paying jobs in the area. The effect of this is poor schools, drugs and other social problems. Very similar to Willimantic IMO.
Off the beaten path on its own is not bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'd live in Derby or Ansonia any day over Torrington. Both have very nice working class sections and they are geographically closer to things to do.
Depends on your definition of 'things to do.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 07:06 PM

440 posts, read 452,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
...It is not near major highways...
It might not be near major HIGHWAYS, but Rt. 8 Runs right through it, connecting it to much of the State.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:14 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,793,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
It might not be near major HIGHWAYS, but Rt. 8 Runs right through it, connecting it to much of the State.

That's true, but Torrington does not have an interstate route to Hartford. RT 44 is busy during rush hour and I would imagine quite frustrating to drive on, especially at night.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:58 AM

21,565 posts, read 30,996,964 times
Quote:
It is in 2017, when people are drawn to population centers.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:21 AM

34,727 posts, read 56,531,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
That's true, but Torrington does not have an interstate route to Hartford. RT 44 is busy during rush hour and I would imagine quite frustrating to drive on, especially at night.
Route 44 does not go through Torrington but Route 4 and Route 202 which connects to 44 do and they are basically just 2 lane local type roads with lots of traffic. Jay

Old 07-13-2017, 11:00 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,793,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Route 44 does not go through Torrington but Route 4 and Route 202 which connects to 44 do and they are basically just 2 lane local type roads with lots of traffic. Jay
I'm aware of that, but if the destination is Torrington and someone is coming from the east during rush hour, I would never recommend RT 4 because of the RT4/RT10 interchange. You will lose 20 mins there every day during rush hour (so that's 40 mins round trip) best to drive around it when possible.

RT 44 to RT 202 is a good alt route.

I think this conversation is moot now, since the OP is really looking for something in between Hartford & Bridgeport. Probably best to look in Naugy-tuck.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:55 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,387,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
I know of a cop in Torrington. Apparently there is a lot of halfway houses there now for ex cons and ex drug addicts, unfortunately the "ex" part doesn't apply to all. Good for business I guess (cops that is)
I have to chime in because this is just spreading rumors. I believe there is exactly one halfway house in all of Torrington. Even Uncasville, CT has more than that.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:33 PM

1,546 posts, read 1,142,031 times
Quote:
I have lived in the area and grown up here. There is nothing wrong with the center.
South Main is rough, but it's not Chicago.
Depends on your definition of 'things to do.'
Having actually spent some time this spring and summer in downtown Torrington, I can concur with this, heartily.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:45 PM

17 posts, read 29,301 times
After having to work in Amsterdam, NY the last two days, the city very comparable to Torrington it seems, I can now say that Torrington is definitely out.

On a brighter note, something may have popped up in Southington. Going to visit several properties next week.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:28 PM

9,855 posts, read 7,606,664 times
Did you hear Bon Jovi and Vin Diesel are moving to Torrington. Heard VD in the paper is not a permanent resident and saw BJ yesterday can't find the article again though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut