Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 06:53 PM

610 posts, read 533,177 times

Advertisements

This article will be of interest to those who have chosen alternative electric suppliers. It confirms my observation that, recently, the alternative suppliers are charging more than Eversource. That was not the case a few years ago when I switched. Looking at the rates, the suppliers charge low "teaser" rates for the first 3 to 6 months, and then revert to significantly higher rates (higher than the standard Eversource rate afterwards. So unless you're on top of it, you'll end up paying more, and let's face it, with all of life's complications, who has the time or interest to follow up on your rates every few months? I switched to Eversource earlier this year and plan to stay with it, although I suppose I should check every year or so to be sure things haven't changed.

Here is the article:

OCC: Electric supplier customers' price spread climbed in May | HartfordBusiness.com

You can check rates available from the other suppliers here:

https://www.energizect.com/compare-e...t-of-suppliers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 07:22 AM

504 posts, read 384,917 times
My parents switched back to Eversource from an alternative supplier. They weren't really seeing any savings, plus I think Eversource is now actually giving them a better rate. I think Eversource is doing that on purpose to gain back customers.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:16 AM

845 posts, read 680,304 times
It's too much of a hassle to use anyone but CL&P. They are normally the cheapest long term and you don't need to lurch around from supplier to supplier every three months.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:51 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,496,538 times
or just move to Wallingford

Residential
$18.95 service fee
$0.1120 per kWh

It's nice to get a small bill without seeing line charges, transformer fees, distribution, etc. I say it all the time and now with two kids and almost 3k sqft. of home centrally cooled with a pool my monthly bill has not gone over $190 in the worst part of summer. I average about $80-100 most of the year except for July/August.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:05 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,510,896 times
There were big changes last year I believe as so many people were getting scammed. You can now instantly change back to Eversource or UI online. The new bills also show your rate compared to the standard rate in a big box on the bill. The rates are now not even worth it to save around $5-10 a month and have to deal with the hassle.

There business model is to sign up someone like an elderly person who will have no clue that the rate doubles in 6 months or how to switch back.

I was so sick of these high rates I installed solar panels. Eversource is losing thousands of my money every year. All they can charge me is the $19 connection charge.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:10 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,510,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
or just move to Wallingford

Residential
$18.95 service fee
$0.1120 per kWh

It's nice to get a small bill without seeing line charges, transformer fees, distribution, etc. I say it all the time and now with two kids and almost 3k sqft. of home centrally cooled with a pool my monthly bill has not gone over $190 in the worst part of summer. I average about $80-100 most of the year except for July/August.
I lived in Wallingford for a long time. Makes you wonder how much money Eversource is making when it was like half the price if not more when I lived there and compared bills when I moved.

One downside with Wallingford is I believe you cant install solar panels there. My electric bill is now just the Eversource $19 monthly service fee.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:52 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
I lived in Wallingford for a long time. Makes you wonder how much money Eversource is making when it was like half the price if not more when I lived there and compared bills when I moved.

One downside with Wallingford is I believe you cant install solar panels there. My electric bill is now just the Eversource $19 monthly service fee.
Wallingford is one of the few communities in the state that has its own municipal electric service. Back when electricity was new, many towns started their own electric system for the town. Over the years since, utility companies gobbled up these municipal systems. Wallingford held onto its system so power costs there are a lot lower than other towns on Eversource or UI. Jay

Old 07-18-2017, 12:08 PM

610 posts, read 533,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
There were big changes last year I believe as so many people were getting scammed. You can now instantly change back to Eversource or UI online. The new bills also show your rate compared to the standard rate in a big box on the bill. The rates are now not even worth it to save around $5-10 a month and have to deal with the hassle.

There business model is to sign up someone like an elderly person who will have no clue that the rate doubles in 6 months or how to switch back.

I was so sick of these high rates I installed solar panels. Eversource is losing thousands of my money every year. All they can charge me is the $19 connection charge.
It is something new. When I first went to an alternative supplier 4 or 5 years ago, they would renew at a charge still a bit less than Eversource. I think I kept the first supplier over 18 months. Now the renewal is higher, not worth the hassle.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:34 AM

504 posts, read 384,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ads94 View Post
It's too much of a hassle to use anyone but CL&P. They are normally the cheapest long term and you don't need to lurch around from supplier to supplier every three months.
Well you'll have to go back in time if want to use CL&P.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:59 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
It doesn't seem worth the hassle anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut