Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 07:51 PM

34,925 posts, read 56,924,455 times

Advertisements

The others here have pretty much summed it up. Southbury is a bit more rural and away from urban areas while a Orange is more suburban and closer to major cities so it depends on you and your family's preference. Orange is a little more upscale and affluent, is closer to the coast and has schools that are among the top performing in the state. That is not to say the schools are not good in Southbury though.

Another thing to consider is that Southbury is home to the state's largest retirement community, Heritage Village. It has over 2,500 units, so you should expect to run into more elderly people there. I am not sure if you plan to use military retirement services but Orange would give you better access to the US submarine base in Groton where some services are available. Finally Orange is right next to West Haven where there is a large veterans hospital which may also be of interest. Hope this helps. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 04:40 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
I say Southbury if you want a quieter life and Orange if you want to be close to places. Southbury is building a movie theater, but lacks the big box stores like Orange. School systems are great in both. Both towns are very community oriented. Orange can have more traffic per se than Southbury.

As for as Healthcare you have access to Yale, Griffin, and Milford in Orange. In Southbury Western CT Health Network reigns supreme. Think there is a Yale partner urgent care center in Southbury. Few private health offices. Think about 3 assisted/skill living facilities. There also may be a VNA service in Southbury.

Also as mentioned above the VA hospital is in West Haven. Not sure if WH or Newington is of the bigger facilities, but do believe WH is.

Last edited by RunD1987; 07-20-2017 at 04:50 AM..

Old 07-20-2017, 05:28 AM

1,557 posts, read 1,157,490 times
OP, of your original two towns, IMHO, Orange would be hands down the best for raising kids. Pretty sure Orange is part of the Amity (along with Bethany and Woodbridge) school system. (each of these three towns may have their own grammar school but come together for the Amity high school)

Orange is more in the middle of things, less isolated geographically. You would have very easy access to NH for culture and world class health care, the shoreline and NYC via train. I think others here will agree with me that the worst traffic (I think you mentioned that as a concern) is rush hours on highways to and from areas closer to NYC.

Good luck.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:49 AM

1,557 posts, read 1,157,490 times
Forgot to add - West Haven VA is the only in-patient VA facility in CT. Newington is out-patient only. West Haven VA is not only a possible source of health care for your husband, but a potential employer. GL

Old 07-20-2017, 06:15 AM

21,742 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
OP, of your original two towns, IMHO, Orange would be hands down the best for raising kids. Pretty sure Orange is part of the Amity (along with Bethany and Woodbridge) school system. (each of these three towns may have their own grammar school but come together for the Amity high school)

Orange is more in the middle of things, less isolated geographically. You would have very easy access to NH for culture and world class health care, the shoreline and NYC via train. I think others here will agree with me that the worst traffic (I think you mentioned that as a concern) is rush hours on highways to and from areas closer to NYC.

Good luck.
Traffic in Orange itself is minor. Side streets are lightly trafficked and even the Orange section of 1 isn't that bad.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:56 AM

3 posts, read 2,011 times
Thank you all so much for your insights! We've always been stationed in small towns and don't mind quiet areas. It seems like all three towns are nearby bodies of water and that's a plus for us. Great to know about mill rates, VA/military base, school systems, and what's around. I guess, my next step is to apply in those different facilities and see where I get accepted ��

Old 07-20-2017, 07:15 AM

They are both pretty quiet with a small town feel, Southbury a bit moreso. The biggest difference is proximity to things.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:58 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Traffic in Orange itself is minor. Side streets are lightly trafficked and even the Orange section of 1 isn't that bad.
While Orange doesn't have heavy traffic in town, a significant amount of side roads are cut-throughs for people trying to avoid busier routes. I've heard this from numerous people who live in town. It's my only hang-up with Orange. Well, that and the tasteless way many 50s ranch owners added onto their homes. Small home + monstrous addition = ugly. Orange has a lot of that.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:36 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,179,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
While Orange doesn't have heavy traffic in town, a significant amount of side roads are cut-throughs for people trying to avoid busier routes. I've heard this from numerous people who live in town. It's my only hang-up with Orange. Well, that and the tasteless way many 50s ranch owners added onto their homes. Small home + monstrous addition = ugly. Orange has a lot of that.
Yeah, there's some strange looking homes there and Woodbridge as well. There's this one wide A-frame ranch on the corner of Milan rd, where one side of the house comes so low toward the ground, you can literally step on and start walking on the roof. Easy gutter cleaning I guess.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I drive through Orange quite often and have not experienced that. That includes Indian River, Peck, Orange Center, Racebrook, Lambert, and others. Never seen a lick of traffic on those roads in my 7 years in the area. Route 1 closer to the Milford border can get busy, but it's tolerable. Traffic hasn't even been an issue for me in Milford, because if I'm going to Costco, I'm cutting through to the quickest way in and maybe in a 1/4 mile slowdown.

The one place in Orange that can get a little jammed is 34 at rush hour, but it's by far not the worst part of 34.

Southbury, of course, has very little traffic.

I don't disagree on the weird additions. There's a lot of that in north Milford too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut