Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2017, 05:49 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
No, they actually have no business doing that. The same way they have no business getting a job digging ditches. Hire someone to do it or move into a community where it's provided or buy a snowblower and have someone else do the steps. Any death from a senior citizen snow shoveling/heart attack is completely preventable. Sell the house and move into senior housing or rent an apartment if you can't afford to hire someone and you're elderly
Seniors on a fixed income (which is a significant portion of senior citizens) can’t just “hire” someone. When I lived in Short Beach, all the seniors around me would have to shovel their own walks/driveways. I often did it for the oldest ones. None of them were affluent enough to afford to pay someone.

Old 12-27-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Its snow..its not an earthquake or a tornado or a hurricane. And YES it is a waste of cold air regarding any snow or storms. It is a valid statement ..no need to read it the way you did. Nobody wants to see anyone negatively affected.... but ....weather guys are gonna want snowstorms...its the way it goes. It is winter.
I guess next time it’s humid and 90, I’ll claim it’s a waste of H/H/H weather because I want huge thunderstorms.

Anyway - it’s an opinion, people. Agree to disagree and move along.

Old 12-27-2017, 05:53 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I guess next time it’s humid and 90, I’ll claim it’s a waste of H/H/H weather because I want huge thunderstorms.
Yep..and you can bet weather guys root for that too.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:15 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Yep..and you can bet weather guys root for that too.
Kinda twisted lol

Old 12-27-2017, 06:20 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Kinda twisted lol
Its nutty but lets face it ...a weather fan wants weather...not blue skies.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:28 PM

712 posts, read 530,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Seniors on a fixed income (which is a significant portion of senior citizens) can’t just “hire” someone. When I lived in Short Beach, all the seniors around me would have to shovel their own walks/driveways. I often did it for the oldest ones. None of them were affluent enough to afford to pay someone.
If they can't hire someone, then move into an apartment or senior housing complex where you don't have to take care of snow removal. COMMON SENSE. It's like saying a 90 year old should go on their roof to fix their leaking roof since they're on a fixed income. At a certain point, you can't take care of a house and you need to move into a condo/apartment/senior subsidized housing. Snow removal is part of new england. You can also MOVE SOUTH. The poorest of the poor can live in maintenance free housing. It's called an apartment Being stubborn enough to not admit you can't handle snow removal/house repairs/taking care of a lawn anymore doesn't help anything. If you're a senior and you can't afford snow removal, move into an apartment/condo. They're cheaper than houses anyway. When your health goes downhill even more where you can't dress yourself then you move into assisted living if you don't have family to assist you. Many of these old people you see shoveling snow are simply stubborn and cheap.

You hate snow and are simply trying to justify why you hate it. You don't need to justify it to me, just don't judge us snow lovers.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
If they can't hire someone, then move into an apartment or senior housing complex where you don't have to take care of snow removal. COMMON SENSE. It's like saying a 90 year old should go on their roof to fix their leaking roof since they're on a fixed income. At a certain point, you can't take care of a house and you need to move into a condo/apartment/senior subsidized housing. Snow removal is part of new england. You can also MOVE SOUTH. The poorest of the poor can live in maintenance free housing. It's called an apartment Being stubborn enough to not admit you can't handle snow removal/house repairs/taking care of a lawn anymore doesn't help anything. If you're a senior and you can't afford snow removal, move into an apartment/condo. They're cheaper than houses anyway. When your health goes downhill even more where you can't dress yourself then you move into assisted living if you don't have family to assist you. Many of these old people you see shoveling snow are simply stubborn and cheap.

You hate snow and are simply trying to justify why you hate it. You don't need to justify it to me, just don't judge us snow lovers.
I hate snow? I’m a hockey player and snowboarder. Snow is exciting and I enjoy it - but I do recognize how snow can be a burden on certain individuals as well as communities ($$$). So when it’s 0*, I’m not going to wish for more ‘weather’, as it’s a double whammy to the neediest in our society.

What you’re suggesting is far easier said than done, especially for seniors who are on a fixed income and don’t have the means to pick up and “move”.

As I said, agree to disagree with my opinion, and move along now.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:39 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Don't know what to post... 2 things...

Forecast Max temps tomorrow and Friday..

Source:

Todays Low and Max temps but we might get to those lows before midnight. I'm at 15 already at 8:30pm. Wicked.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:39 PM

5,956 posts, read 2,877,447 times
Cold today didn't make it above -3 f., with the Davis Vantage pro 2.A couple of inches of fresh snow yesterday raising the months total. minus 14 F. here at the camp at the moment .

Old 12-27-2017, 06:56 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Cold today didn't make it above -3 f., with the Davis Vantage pro 2.A couple of inches of fresh snow yesterday raising the months total. minus 14 F. here at the camp at the moment .
Yowzer! Where are you? I'm not looking this cold at all. The coal stove is doing a great job but the Isuzu takes halfway to Groton to warm up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut