Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2018, 10:54 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
March 20th, 2018 Storm:

ALL models still have this storm. They just don't know what the upper levels will do and track of it yet. 6 days away now.

Latest GFS on left would be a huge rain and wind storm for us. Similar to NorEaster #1. heavy snow for higher elevations and northern New England.

Latest Canadian on right says the main storm goes to Ohio and then transfers energy to a new coastal storm which is far enough off the coast to give us snow in CT.

I'd like to see the Jet stream dive south a little more. Notice the track from the west is almost flat. There's enough cold air around where if the storm is off the coast enough, it will bring snow ...AGAIN.
This is not ok..

Old 03-14-2018, 11:11 AM

712 posts, read 530,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Its not right at all, says we got 6" in Orange... we got maybe one inch on grassy surfaces.
They are measuring on elevated boards and then wiping it clean after one to every few inches or so falls. What's happening is that the ground is so warm and air temps are marginal as well as a march sun that even on the grass much of it is melting. Whereas a board doesn't have much mass so quickly cools when snow hits it. So that's the discrepancy. Just because it falls on the board, doesn't mean that's what's actually on the ground

So yes you are correct in that there's not anywhere near 6 inches on the ground even immediately following the storm. Other areas were colder and therefore the snow accumulated on the ground better.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:37 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Loop last 4 hours. So there's been snow showers and squalls all day in response to this Large Polar Low over the region. (orange lines)

See it rotating around it? Not really from the NorEaster. Some spots its dropping another quick inch.

This vortex above is creating instability from Ohio Valley to Northeast. Huge!

Snow squalls in the TN and NC mountains. Mt Holly in NJ reporting some now.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:47 PM

Here it is.....

Bridgeport, CT: 9th snowiest March so far. 4 of the last 6 years in Top 10!

Look at these other locations that are having a Top 10 snowiest March..

Old 03-14-2018, 02:05 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
They are measuring on elevated boards and then wiping it clean after one to every few inches or so falls. What's happening is that the ground is so warm and air temps are marginal as well as a march sun that even on the grass much of it is melting. Whereas a board doesn't have much mass so quickly cools when snow hits it. So that's the discrepancy. Just because it falls on the board, doesn't mean that's what's actually on the ground

So yes you are correct in that there's not anywhere near 6 inches on the ground even immediately following the storm. Other areas were colder and therefore the snow accumulated on the ground better.
Thank you, that's what I was trying to explain. This is especially true in March as the higher sun angle lets it melt more easily. I read (and remember) a March storm in the early 1980s (I want to say 1981) that had 8-10" everywhere but no accumulation on roads and very little otherwise.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:33 PM

5,956 posts, read 2,877,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post

Its cheating, trying to claim heavy snowfall . Ski Resorts do this quite a bit.
I believe you can only clean the snowboard once every six hours and no more than four times in twenty four.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:05 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
I believe you can only clean the snowboard once every six hours and no more than four times in twenty four.
Ya know..I agree...what good is measuring snow if it won't be around 5 minutes after it falls. One measure every couple / few hours..if it compacts or melts? it may as well have been rain.

FYI ..heavy snow squall in Danbury..too warm to stick though.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:24 PM

Just drove through a squall.

Snow squalls everywhere in response to the Polar Vortex above us.

It's 17°F at 5000' and the surface is in the 30s so there's a lot of instability.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:37 PM

13 posts, read 10,410 times
Hello,

With a new storm on the horizon (March 20th), I wish to ask a question.

I will be driving home to central New Jersey from Chicago starting Sunday and planning on arriving home Monday evening. I'll be traveling along Interstate 80 and the PA Turnpike. Can someone give me a timeline regarding this storm. I believe it will be moving west to east. Will I be in a situation where I have to plan to keep ahead of the storm (leave the Chicago area a day earlier) rather than be overtaken by it. I assume that it will be in the Chicago area first then it moves eastward.

Hence my question regarding the timeline. I hate to have to drive the whole distance in the storm. I guess the best case scenario would be for the storm to move east well
south of my planned route.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Old 03-14-2018, 03:39 PM

712 posts, read 530,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
=
I agree.
I think some ski resorts do way worse than that. I think a lot of them just find the biggest drift they can find and stick a ruler in it. It becomes very difficult to measure snow when it's very windy and high elevation resorts in New england are like a non stop wind tunnel once you get above 2500 feet especially during storms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut