Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2018, 10:37 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
It's almost upon us. I think I hear the sound of warmist heads exploding. "B-b-but, that's what happens when there's global warming. It gets really cold!"
No, it's a change in the climate, sometimes warmer, sometimes cooler, and usually different from what it used to be. Like today. Like this past summer when it was unusually hot and unusually humid. Also, the seasons start to get switched around so that there's hardly any spring anymore. In fact, there was barely a fall this year, was there.

And taking into account, other parts of the world, my husband can remember as a child in England, snow tunnels being dug so kids could get to school. Now it hardly snows over there and they get all excited over an inch or two. This past summer was "hot" over there, whereas it's usually in the 60s and 70s.

Maybe it's global warming, all in all, I don't know. But to our close up perception, it's a lot of changes in the overall climate.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:42 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
4" in Clinton, so I'm told. Nothing here in the Mojave Desert. Chilly at night!

Old 11-15-2018, 11:16 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
1am and check out the road situation. Crawling & gridlock still in PA, NY, NJ, CT, RI. MA. So many tweets showing the disaster roads out there.

Snow rates were 3"/hr and plows had no chance when millions of people leave work at the same time. Bad timing. People were sliding, getting stuck, accidents, and snow was just piling up by the minute. Then they closed down the parkway so they can plow sections at a time which created more chaos downstream. Disaster.

Bummed I missed out on the entire event and didn't see pics from other areas.

At least my timelapse camera worked but I guess I should of used taller objects.

Snowpack, Cold, and Windy out there right now. Fire is lit and I'm pumped up.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Hey, if only NYC had listened to Cambium about Hurricane Sandy in 2012. He was predicting it over a week in advance, if I remember right, saying that it was going to be horrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon3290 View Post
For sure! To be honest that storm is why people think I'm a weather wizard. I saw Cambium talking about it and I told them what he said (giving him the credit) for years and years after that, my younger sibling would ask me "What does cambium say" about all the snow storms.. she's in college now and has other things on her mind, but swear to god we have a dog named Sandy and she's just as crazy as the "Superstorm Sandy" ever was. got her just as the storm was hitting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
I just tried to find the old weather thread to see how early he was predicting Sandy, couldn't find it, gave up. But honestly, I seem to recall Cambium predicting how bad Sandy was going to be about ten days beforehand, saying that there were ridiculously low barometric pressures being predicted. Cambium has long been referred to as "The Oracle" in my house. As in - Kid: "Have you consulted The Oracle yet about such and such anticipated weather event?" In Cambium we trust.
lol. Thanks for the kind words. I didn't predict this though. This over performed big time. In fact I had said roads would be ok I think. lolol. Only today I saw the potential of this being chaotic due to timing and increased totals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Cam, I think you had called this storm way back (in your classic way..."interesting") at the beginning of November? I'm too lazy to go back and pull out the original post, but I'm almost positive.
Found it.. All other storms I knew would be rain but this one had an interesting setup!

From 10 days ago. GFS was off by 2 days but not bad that far out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Skipping over this Fridays storm for a second....which will be rain for most of us and probably 30mph gusts..... The next storm on Tuesday the 13th might be more interesting.

All different solutions out there still

Old 11-15-2018, 11:28 PM

Don't worry guys....Spring is in 2 months! ...

Oh wait... It's not even winter yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstodur View Post
Big storm signal for Nov. 24-27ish on the BSR.
Yup... strong signal of a possible East coast Winter storm end of November and again Dec 6-7.

Light snow this Monday maybe too.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:38 PM

https://forecast.weather.gov/product...&highlight=off

Hartford 7.6" is the 3rd largest daily snow total for November. Records back 113 yrs.

LaGuardia 4.5" is the 2nd largest Daily total for November
JFK 4.8" is the largest November snowstorm on record
Newark 6.4" is the largest November snowstorm
Philly 3.6" is the 6th largest

Someone lazy at Sikorsky?

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/nws...#20181115/snow

*MAP ONLY MIDNIGHT TO MIDNIGHT

Old 11-16-2018, 12:25 AM

10pm-2am Loop. Amazing amount of snow still on the map heading into Canada now and Northern New England.

Note the mix and sleet now up Western MA and Albany. Coastal Low closer.

Note the push of cold air over PA. We might get scattered rain and snow showers tonight and in the morning. I see some dry air working into the mix now.

A look at some snowfall totals. I see 10-12" in Hudson Valley. Pink icons indicate heavy snow for that hour. 9-11" in Litchfield County

Old 11-16-2018, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
A little preview of the grand solar minimum.
Seen this coming when record cold and early snows were happening in Western Canada -Edmonton. Cold air from the arctic was spilling down earlier then normal. Then in the plains and Texas...And here we are again.... after late cold and snow in March & April.

El Nino (moist jet from pacific) + Polar Vortex split (super cold air) makes this happen. Wish others learned to read maps, not headlines. Also, that Atlantic ridge which brought our summer heat & humidity is still out there so it put a squeeze on the atmosphere over us.

Many studies I read mentioned these events happened more when sun output was low. It mentions Northest US, Eastern Canada and Europe sees a cooling trend.

Past decade has been special. Its the max of cycle 24 Im looking at mostly. Low

Problem is, we wont know its a trend or something big until it happens which may be decades from now. We'll look back and say... "Remember those crazy cold and snow events?"

Old 11-16-2018, 04:17 AM

Temps in the 40s on Long Island this morning as the coastal storm is right over us. Above freezing for CT.

Expect rain this morning but why am I seeing so much snow pushing East in PA and NJ right now. Will it changeover later?

Old 11-16-2018, 04:19 AM

2,941 posts, read 1,785,035 times
Snow day over here!!! Woohoo!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut