Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2017, 03:46 PM

1,572 posts, read 1,559,456 times

Advertisements

October 29th was both the freak snowstorm of 2011 and Hurricane Sandy of 2012.

I looked at the UNL Drought Monitor map, but it's deceptive. Since data was cut off at 8 AM Tuesday, the new map won't reflect everything we've had this week.

Old 10-26-2017, 03:54 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Kinda funny though..

Oct 29, 2011: Snowstorm
Oct 29, 2012: Hurricane Sandy which produced big snows in Maryland & Virginias
Oct 29, 2017: Coastal storm maybe snow for Poconos or mountains?

And funny how Oct 27-29 in 2015 and 2016 had a storm around as well which gave us rains but the storm didn't directly hit us. Can't always hit the same spot.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:55 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
I thought we had an October snowstorm in 2013 too?

I remember I had to fly out of the area and when I woke up to leave for JFK I had the scare of my life! My flight was delayed, but my goodness was I not expecting all that white stuff!!!

LOL

I laugh, but at that time it was not funny. lol!

Old 10-26-2017, 07:05 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Major Fall Storm Bears Down on Connecticut

Old 10-27-2017, 03:52 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Kinda funny though..

Oct 29, 2011: Snowstorm
Oct 29, 2017: Coastal storm maybe snow for Poconos or mountains?

And funny how Oct 27-29 in 2015 and 2016 had a storm around as well which gave us rains but the storm didn't directly hit us. Can't always hit the same spot.
Of course, since it's the birthday of this fellow "weather geek" . A lot of people won't remember but if you check the records it actually snowed in our area on "my day" in 2000 and 2002 as well but other than being noteworthy for the time of year they were minor events (the 2002 one was basically flurries to a dusting, 2000 was a dusting to an inch).

Actually, I was kind of excited about the other two, but I was actually hoping for beautiful weather this time as it's one of those "milestones" (I'll leave it at that )

Old 10-27-2017, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Of course, since it's the birthday of this fellow "weather geek" . A lot of people won't remember but if you check the records it actually snowed in our area on "my day" in 2000 and 2002 as well but other than being noteworthy for the time of year they were minor events (the 2002 one was basically flurries to a dusting, 2000 was a dusting to an inch).
)
Happy B-Day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I thought we had an October snowstorm in 2013 too?
I had to check my journal and I came across this for last year! What is it with this date?!

October 27, 2016: Clipper. Lots of Virga around 6-8am. Sleet started 8:30am for couple minutes. Snow/Sleet in Wilton and Ridgefield 9:30am. 1.21" liquid for the day. Staying in the cold 30s all day. 1-3" snow for northern CT. 2-4" snow in MA

Nothing for 2013 though.

UPDATED:

Oct 29, 2011: Big Snowstorm
Oct 28, 2015: Lake Cutter storm some snow for MN & WI
Oct 27, 2016: Clipper snows for NY, CT, MA, VT
Oct 29, 2017: Big Coastal storm maybe snow for Poconos or mountains?

Old 10-27-2017, 05:18 AM

Time restricted this morning...

Storm Update: Status quo for us... ENJOY TODAY AND TOMORROWS SUN! Rain moves in Sunday morning but heaviest with wind Sunday night.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/49945533-post2417.html

Old 10-27-2017, 05:33 AM

223 posts, read 172,239 times
Excited for Sunday's storm, although according to Hanrahan on NBC there's a sizeable bust potential. We'll see.

Also, just interesting/of note, per southern ct wx discussion (...MAJOR STORM SYSTEM ON THE WAY FOR SUNDAY, DETAILS STILL TO BE IRONED OUT... - Southern Connecticut Weather

Per storm:
Impacts: Light overrunning rain will overspread the state late Saturday night and early Sunday morning and become more showery and maybe even stop for a time Sunday morning. Steadier and much heavier rain will arrive by midday Sunday west and mid afternoon east. Rain will then fall heavy or very heavy at times the rest of the day Sunday and begin tapering off around midnight Sunday night west and in the predawn hours East. Showers will linger for about 6 to 9 hours after that.

Rainfall totals of at least 2 to 4 inches with locally higher amounts are possible. At this point, it is still impossible to pinpoint who will get the heaviest totals and if they will fall in our state. But it will rain, and a lot.

Wind gusts to 40-50 MPH are likely, just using the most conservative solutions. For now, I'll go with this, because winds are not the easiest thing to predict and it is a lot more prudent to start low and go higher with time than to hype, send everyone into a panic, and then lower expectations. Needless to say, even the winds I am forecasting could produce some damage... higher than that and we'd be talking power outages and possible destruction.

Long Term:

The long range looks to continue to see its ups and downs with regards to temperature. Something that is not too atypical for this time of year, we should see a battle of two ridges: one near Alaska and one over the Southeastern United States. The former typically brings cold air our way, while the latter would bring warm air. As time progresses, if the Alaskan Ridge stays intact, it generally tends to win that battle as we head into winter. Some model guidance wants to bring the first accumulating snow to the state November 5 to 6, but this is too far out to do anything but just look at for now

Old 10-27-2017, 09:47 AM

Hasn't past mid 50s in 2 days now... Fall is here finally. lol

Check out the snowpack in Minnesota today and the wind chills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetnewspaper View Post
Excited for Sunday's storm, although according to Hanrahan on NBC there's a sizeable bust potential. We'll see.

Also, just interesting/of note, per southern ct wx discussion (...MAJOR STORM SYSTEM ON THE WAY FOR SUNDAY, DETAILS STILL TO BE IRONED OUT... - Southern Connecticut Weather

Per storm:
Impacts: Light overrunning rain will overspread the state late Saturday night and early Sunday morning and become more showery and maybe even stop for a time Sunday morning. Steadier and much heavier rain will arrive by midday Sunday west and mid afternoon east. Rain will then fall heavy or very heavy at times the rest of the day Sunday and begin tapering off around midnight Sunday night west and in the predawn hours East. Showers will linger for about 6 to 9 hours after that.

Rainfall totals of at least 2 to 4 inches with locally higher amounts are possible. At this point, it is still impossible to pinpoint who will get the heaviest totals and if they will fall in our state. But it will rain, and a lot.

Wind gusts to 40-50 MPH are likely, just using the most conservative solutions. For now, I'll go with this, because winds are not the easiest thing to predict and it is a lot more prudent to start low and go higher with time than to hype, send everyone into a panic, and then lower expectations. Needless to say, even the winds I am forecasting could produce some damage... higher than that and we'd be talking power outages and possible destruction.

Long Term:

The long range looks to continue to see its ups and downs with regards to temperature. Something that is not too atypical for this time of year, we should see a battle of two ridges: one near Alaska and one over the Southeastern United States. The former typically brings cold air our way, while the latter would bring warm air. As time progresses, if the Alaskan Ridge stays intact, it generally tends to win that battle as we head into winter. Some model guidance wants to bring the first accumulating snow to the state November 5 to 6, but this is too far out to do anything but just look at for now

Did you write all that? Impressive if so. You need to get over to the accuweather forums with the UnderGrads and meteorologists. They have storm threads and seasonal threads.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:36 AM

223 posts, read 172,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Hasn't past mid 50s in 2 days now... Fall is here finally. lol

Check out the snowpack in Minnesota today and the wind chills.

Did you write all that? Impressive if so. You need to get over to the accuweather forums with the UnderGrads and meteorologists. They have storm threads and seasonal threads.
I wish I wrote it! Its from southern ct wx. They're great. Check them out at Southern Connecticut Weather - Forecasters Discussion

I pretty much rely on Cambium, Southern CT wx, Hanrahan, NWS, and Fred Campagna for CT weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut