U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2018, 05:27 AM

9,157 posts, read 15,157,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Just look at this flow. Crazy. 7.5 feet of snow on Mansfield, VT at 4400'. Glacier forming? Lol

Record snow depth in Toronto too. What a spring pattern.

4-8pm loop
I remember in 2009 going for a job interview in Burlington, VT in mid April (I got it but didn't take it and didn't move there, long story) and seeing the snow covered top of Mansfield in the distance. Other than a Feb. trip to L.A. in 2001 it is the only time in my life I saw a snow-covered mountain in the distance when no snow was on the ground anywhere near where I stood.

Is your sister complaining about/got the April snow? My Buffalo area sister sure is!

Based on what you showed for this and Whiteface Mountain I was hoping it was a somewhat rare time the Northeast had the coldest temp in the lower 48 on an April date, but apparently those places in Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, etc. that got all the snow are even colder. Coldest for yesterday is 6 degrees somewhere in Michigan. I looked at the Whiteface site you mentioned, it shows they are 14 degrees right now so maybe today.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Worst since 1970s i'll have some stats soon.

Why? Simple answer is that the Jet stream keeps dipping in the east and sending down Canadian air. Air that is travelling over frozen lakes and snow covered landscapes.

The complex answer... The sun has been very quiet. The Clouds. The Polar Vortex. The mid levels. The NAO. The Nina. The law of averages.
I actually do somewhat buy into the solar theory but the only problem I have with it is how does it explain February? On the other hand, the cold months right before and after it would similarly make "you know what" not as automatic either.

I would be curious to see how the globe is averaging as a whole the last two months. Just like I use that to show that "you know what" is happening despite a cold area or two there, similarly I would think for a quiet sun the globe as a whole would have to average out cooler than recent past March and April (just like what happens after a major volcanic eruption.....Mt. Pinatubo made the whole world colder for all of 1992).

Do you know if 2000 had a quiet sun? I think it by far had the most below normal months of any year since the mid-80s, although again I am only thinking locally.

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 04-20-2018 at 05:36 AM..

Old 04-20-2018, 06:11 AM

71,420 posts, read 53,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I would be curious to see how the globe is averaging as a whole the last two months.

Don't worry because just 2 well above normal months this year will put us at near record warm, so all these cold or normal months don't matter. lol

Quote:
Do you know if 2000 had a quiet sun?.

Because there's a lag time for an affect I like to look back a few yrs before. And apparently we had hit bottom in that cycle between 1992-1997.

But if we just look for sun temp relationship we'll never see a correlation.. If you look at the overall picture, I believe the big active peak yrs was one reason for the warming on earth.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:13 AM

I will grab Bridgeport and Hartford stats later on. Pressed for time now.

Whoa!! NYC has only hit 52° or warmer 13 times this spring. That's the least since 1940!

NYC Only 9 times above normal with the max temp this spring so far.

So far this Spring, Islip, Long Island, NY has hit 48° or warmer only 18 times. That's the least on record for the period of March 1 - April 19th.

We've had these abrupt drops with certain criterias now and then since 2015. Kinda fascinating .

Old 04-20-2018, 06:35 AM

Last post for now, gotta run.

7:15amEST temps. I dropped to 32° so assume danbury, Litchfield and other areas are below freezing

Old 04-20-2018, 09:13 AM

4,108 posts, read 2,424,220 times
Quote:
I remember in 2009 going for a job interview in Burlington, VT in mid April (I got it but didn't take it and didn't move there, long story) and seeing the snow covered top of Mansfield in the distance. Other than a Feb. trip to L.A. in 2001 it is the only time in my life I saw a snow-covered mountain in the distance when no snow was on the ground anywhere near where I stood.
I am pretty sure Mt. Washington typically has snow into June. I used to go up the end of June for years - it would be gone by then but there would often be articles not long before of snow still remaining. I also took a drive up in 2012... will have to check my pix for that. It was before the mountain opened, I'm thinking April or May.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I am pretty sure Mt. Washington typically has snow into June. I used to go up the end of June for years - it would be gone by then but there would often be articles not long before of snow still remaining. I also took a drive up in 2012... will have to check my pix for that. It was before the mountain opened, I'm thinking April or May.
It does but I've never been there. I'm quite fascinated with Mt. Washington and not being too far away, I hope to experience it someday.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Quote:
You would think, right? Mt Washington's normal snowfall in June is 1" so while "it snows" some yrs in June, having a lasting snowpack in June is rare. Only 4 years with 2"+ snowpack AT THE TOP in June and didn't last.

Last year had 1 day with 2" of snow depth in June. Melts fast up there believe it or not. Air masses at 6000 feet really warm up plus you got the sun beaming down.

(Click on Archives for data)
https://www.mountwashington.org/expe...n-weather.aspx

Last yr had 20 inches on the ground in May and all melted in 3 days. So The snow cap mountains in May have to be with good timing.

April a totally different story. Definitely snow capped there.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:22 AM

2 Maps..

If you watch the 850mb level each day you'll get a sense why it's hard for even Mt Washington to get snow in May and June.

First... Current Temps and Satellite.. Full Sun and 40s for us midday....and with winds from the NorthWest

Reason why its not warming up even with sun is this................ Air mass at 5000' is below freezing. In fact its in the low 20s over us!! Normal for this time of yr is 41°F! But this airmass is moving out. Come next week a warmer airmass moves in (but not crazy warm) and that means for mountains as well.

It's not common to have "this much" air below freezing at 5000' after mid April.

Check out the temp departures for this hour.. Below normal almost everywhere

Old 04-20-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Ironicallly, so far the low temp for the lower 48 today is 10 degrees at Mt. Washington.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:19 PM

288 posts, read 99,956 times
There are many factors to our weather, but an undeniable fact is that humans are releasing CO2 (along with other gasses) into the air.

These gasses hold in heat.

Any change in climate will not be uniform at all. In fact, certain areas may get colder (New England might be one of them). But, looking globally, things are heating up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or