Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2017, 08:26 AM

86 posts, read 106,793 times

Advertisements

Morning all,

I am about to do some excavation work on my property and was wondering if it's legal to bury stumps? Does it hurt the well water? Can it be dangerous over time cause of the decay?

I had two contractors so far give me quotes...one says to bury them and the other says it's illegal and can only bury 10 percent of stumps in the ground...

Need some help.....Also is there a place to dispose of the stumps in lebanon ct?

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 09:32 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Illegal to leave a tree stump in under ground??? Never heard of that. Illegal to burn, YES. Not to bury or leave it alone. Curious if that's for real.

Aside from attracting Carpenter Ants, termites, and other creatures its actually a good thing for the soil. But heads up.. as it decays (SLOWLY) the ground will sink down and you'll have soft spots.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:11 PM

86 posts, read 106,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Illegal to leave a tree stump in under ground??? Never heard of that. Illegal to burn, YES. Not to bury or leave it alone. Curious if that's for real.

Aside from attracting Carpenter Ants, termites, and other creatures its actually a good thing for the soil. But heads up.. as it decays (SLOWLY) the ground will sink down and you'll have soft spots.

Just had another contractor here today and he said to bury them wouldn't be an issue

Old 07-29-2017, 04:21 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,156,686 times
Cambium is correct in that 15-20 years after you bury them, you will have a big indentation whenever you buried them. If it's in the middle of your lawn, it's a lot of work to fix. We know this from experience.
Choose where you bury them with this in mind.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:17 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,830,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msp079 View Post
Morning all,

I am about to do some excavation work on my property and was wondering if it's legal to bury stumps? Does it hurt the well water? Can it be dangerous over time cause of the decay?

I had two contractors so far give me quotes...one says to bury them and the other says it's illegal and can only bury 10 percent of stumps in the ground...

Need some help.....Also is there a place to dispose of the stumps in lebanon ct?

Thanks all.

I too have never heard of this, but i do know its illegal to burn them. My guess is that contractor really didn't want the job so gave you a ridiculous answer and assumed you would believe him.

Old 07-30-2017, 05:50 AM

504 posts, read 384,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

Yep I'm getting that myself.... The old owner of my house buried a stump, and I'm noticing the ground sinking slightly. I've added a few bags of top soil to compensate, and I'm sure I will need more in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: