Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2018, 11:12 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That’s not for anyone to say definitively. Everyone has different financial situations. Debt, personal/car loans, student loans, trusts, investments, etc.
No kidding....people have different financial situations ALL OVER THE COUNTRY and not just here lol.

I was a mortgage banker......please go to my post #136 where I explain the formula for the affordability of a house.

First Threshold to qualify for a mortgage is 28% for mortgage and taxes.
Second Threshold for to qualify for a mortgage is 33% for mortgage, taxes, insurance, utilities and other debt.

So....with Fairfield County's median income $86,670* someone is buying these median $413,000* houses.......and having babies to boot lol.

This is why I hate Fairfield County...."the Joneses" think everyone makes their incomes and if you don't you should not have children.

* https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...t,ct/PST045217
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 11:31 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,711 times
CTA - I don't see where I inferred that you need $150K plus to live in northern FF/NHC? I have recommended towns in the area to people making less than that before and in my comment here, I was simply pointing out that 150-200K is much easier to live on in CT than Westchester. I'm going to put this conversation to the side after this last statement, but I think statistics obscure the fact that we should be realistic about what it costs to raise a young family in any part of this state, particularly when both parents work.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:09 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
CTA - I don't see where I inferred that you need $150K plus to live in northern FF/NHC? I have recommended towns in the area to people making less than that before and in my comment here, I was simply pointing out that 150-200K is much easier to live on in CT than Westchester. I'm going to put this conversation to the side after this last statement, but I think statistics obscure the fact that we should be realistic about what it costs to raise a young family in any part of this state, particularly when both parents work.
You didn’t. That poster is not comprehending your original post correctly.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
This is your exact quote......

"The vast majority of families I know are probably making 150-200K and living in towns like Southbury, Oxford, New Milford, and Bethel"

Listen, you are a nice lady but this is something I have seen you do many times on this forum. I don't want the people (especially young families) who are looking to move to Fairfield County (outside of the Gold Coast) and Southbury with the more modest incomes of under $125,000 to think there is no place for them here. THERE IS.

In bold is what you wrote.....and that is what people will read.

That is just not true and I want people who are thinking about moving to CT and that area you quoted of Southbury, Oxford, New Milford and Bethel to be turned off it they think they will need that large amount of income....they simply don't up there.

One more time to hammer this home to all the people contemplating areas of CT outside of the Gold Coast of Fairfield County.

Fairfield County Median House.............$413,400
Fairfield County Median HH Income........$86,670
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...icut/PST045217

Lots of babies being born to average families making less than $125,000 in Fairfield County and Soutbury (which is just outside but bordering Fairfield County).

Not everyone has to live in a town or neighborhood with "the Joneses" you know.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:28 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
This is your exact quote......

"The vast majority of families I know are probably making 150-200K and living in towns like Southbury, Oxford, New Milford, and Bethel"

Listen, you are a nice lady but this is something I have seen you do many times on this forum. I don't want the people (especially young families) who are looking to move to Fairfield County (outside of the Gold Coast) and Southbury with the more modest incomes of under $125,000 to think there is no place for them here. THERE IS.

In bold is what you wrote.....and that is what people will read.

That is just not true and I want people who are thinking about moving to CT and that area you quoted of Southbury, Oxford, New Milford and Bethel to be turned off it they think they will need that large amount of income....they simply don't up there.

One more time to hammer this home to all the people contemplating areas of CT outside of the Gold Coast of Fairfield County.

Fairfield County Median House.............$413,400
Fairfield County Median HH Income........$86,670
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...icut/PST045217

Lots of babies being born to average families making less than $125,000 in Fairfield County and Soutbury (which is just outside but bordering Fairfield County).

Not everyone has to live in a town or neighborhood with "the Joneses" you know.
You don’t need a large amount of income to live “down there” in Trumbull, Monroe or Stratford either.

Anyway, I’m not sure how much clearer the meaning of the original quote could be explained to you.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:35 PM

I found the family income info on this site (as opposed to the household income). It is very hard to find.

Median Family Income 2016
Southbury .......$114,305
Bethel..............$98,636
New Milford.......$73,043
Oxford..............$116,897

So come one.......come all to CT......don't be afraid. It's not as bad and expensive as some make it seem.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You don’t need a large amount of income to live “down there” in Trumbull, Monroe or Stratford either.
That's right and it's awesome. And we get to live near all the rich people too.

So come one.......come all to CT......don't be afraid. It's not as bad and expensive as some make it seem.

Median Family Income (all towns in Fairfield County)
Trumbull.........$135,235
Monroe...........$133,311
Stratford........$90,965

Last edited by CTartist; 07-13-2018 at 12:57 PM..

Old 07-13-2018, 05:52 PM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
I’m not sure what this debate is proving and it has run its course.

Please return to the topic of the thread.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:01 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,555 times
I will delete everything I said Stylo. If stuff is too old for me to delete, I would ask that you remove all my comments if you don’t mind. Thanks.

Edit: I was only able to delete my most recent one. Please feel free to take down my others. I’m done. Thanks.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:14 PM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
I will delete everything I said Stylo. If stuff is too old for me to delete, I would ask that you remove all my comments if you don’t mind. Thanks.

Edit: I was only able to delete my most recent one. Please feel free to take down my others. I’m done. Thanks.
No worries. You don’t have to delete your posts. Just trying to get the thread back on track
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut