Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 07:57 PM

34,049 posts, read 17,064,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Not all ancestors came here legally. You might be surprised. Most of my family did not know our grandfather was an illegal. Many had the same opinion as you but they have since changed their tune. There are various reason people are here illegally. Most are law biding people that have built good lives here. To stay in this country legally they would have to give up everything they have here, leave the country and wait years to return, if at all. There needs to be a way for these people to be able to stay. Jay
I disagree. They need to leave, and asap start the legal process to return. We must remain a nation of laws, not selectively, but 100%.

I am a quarter German, and IMO the 19,500 attending the MSG Bund rally 70 years ago should have been deported immediately. Their goal was setting up a Reich in America. If a long unknown relative had been there, I'd want him deported. W/O laws, we are a banana republic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 08:05 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Thank you for your opinion but I know that to not be the case. I know a number of people who came here legally and did NOT cut into line. They tend to resent the cheats.
As I already said, MY HUSBAND came here LEGALLY. We RESENT the CHEATS.

What I have TRIED to say is that there are not many ways of getting in. It's mainly marriage, conversion of a student visa, professionals at jobs that are impossible to fill (the employer has to submit proof that he couldn't find anyone to hire), or people who are very, very wealthy and can pay some huge sum to get in.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:51 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,312,539 times
I find it interesting how illegal aliens and politicians use their children as a political pawn so they can have an excuse to stay. These are all questions these kids should be asking their parents, not the system. Then you have situations where one is the parents is legal while the other isn't. Then once they get caught, all of a sudden they want sympathy. The thing is that you KNEW your significant other was illegal, and you KNEW they could be potentially deported, so don't come crying to our doors once they show you the law. You have nothing but yourself to blame. We need immigration reform, and fast. It's too hard to tackle so Congress and the House are taking baby steps.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:16 AM

8,892 posts, read 5,369,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

They need to open it up to ordinary people. They need to let ordinary decent people come here. People don't realize that it is nearly impossible to get into this country. The current administration is going to make it even harder.
We have enough ordinary citizens who are having trouble getting jobs ..... why do we need to bring in more?

Old 08-14-2017, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
. We need immigration reform, and fast. It's too hard to tackle so Congress and the House are taking baby steps.
I am no longer convinced we need "immigration reform." We need our immigration laws enforced. These people didn't have much respect for these laws.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
There are various reason people are here illegally.
They didn't feel like obeying our immigration laws is probably a big one.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:24 AM

"Franklin Ramos works as a sheet metal mechanic and Gioconda Ramos works a warehouse job at Fosdick Fulfillment."

How are they working here legally if they are not even in the country legally?

Old 08-14-2017, 02:29 AM

1,195 posts, read 1,626,095 times
People talk about immigration laws as if they are some sort of religious scripture. They're no different than any other laws that have been changed and had various levels of enforcement over the decades. The thing that makes a law work is that people see it as just and fair, not just that it's 'the law'. Prohibition didn't last. You could have people get bent out of shape about how speeding is 'the law' and should be dealt with far more harshly than it is. The reality is many people think our current immigration system and laws are broken and it's no coincidence they are poorly enforced, because they are not widely respected (and I'm talking about the feelings of AMERICAN citizens here).

I don't buy the arguments about 'well Australia...' or 'well Canada...' because they are different countries with different histories and different priorities. Immigration has been the biggest strength of America throughout its history and if you think its incidental to the success and standing of the nation, I don't know what to tell you, because we must be coming from very different worldviews.

It's also laughable for people to say they would be OK with everything if the entire situation was identical to what it is now, except that all the immigrants here now had come here came legally. We all know that's not what the wider argument is about.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:59 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,865,400 times
I think it's more important things to be worried about then deporting someone that are doing things the right way. What about all the undocumented people that's not working or selling drugs act. The system let's them stay and go after someone that's trying to make a difference.

If you say they can't find all the undocumented people that's doing bad things then that should tell you the system needs to shift their focus and sharping there tools to find them. Not go after the easy

Old 08-14-2017, 03:30 AM

34,049 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
People talk about immigration laws as if they are some sort of religious scripture. They're no different than any other laws that have been changed and had various levels of enforcement over the decades. .
1924-1965 We allowed next to no legal immigration. You're right. Laws change.

What matters is what the law was at the time a criminal broke it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut