Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 12:01 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,420,832 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately suppressors are very limited and difficult to get it CT. Our politicians watch too many movies--must explain what they were doing in college since it doesn't appear rational , pragmatic or even scholarly thought was an end product.

Though I think we MAY still have access to suppressors for 22 rifles only. I tried buying a walther p22 handgun for my wife (before I got her 3 other larger, infinitely more lethal caliber guns instead) and they didn't sell them in CT since comes with a threaded barrel. Yup, walther p22 is considered an assault weapon in CT (face palm). Anyway I digress...

Plus I don't think Hunting with a silencer is legal in CT even if u did end up among the few who have one. CT would rather you scare the crap out of hikers and send its officers on goose chase calls.

OP, if eradication via hunting is viable option u are considering, do NOT use the info in this thread. Read info on DEEP website which will no doubt confuse you and then call deep with any questions. Their opinion is also just that. They are officers who enforce law and do not interpret it. This means you could get 2 different answers from 2 different people. Go with the "advise" of the one who patrols area u will hunt as that is person whose enforcing your area. That being said DEEP officers are highly specialized and their knowdlge on related laws and regs is A+. Most of them are avid hunters themselves so they are quite passionate and encouraging about safe legal hunting.

Last edited by Sigequinox; 09-07-2017 at 12:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 06:42 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,167,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Don't fool yourself, parent. A pack of hungry coyotes will take down anything.

About the dead rabbits. No, coyotes don't leave their prey laying around. They consume it.
You do realize Coyotes are generally solitary (or with pups). Wolves on the other hand...

"Coyotes normally hunt alone or in pairs and rarely as a pack."
Coyotes 101 – CoyoteSmart

Old 09-07-2017, 12:01 PM

6,586 posts, read 4,970,443 times
I'm so sorry about your Leland! We rescued a street cat over the winter AND relocated him to my house, and while he loves indoors he also goes a little crazy when he sees birds on the deck so I'm constantly closing the back door closed and hope by next spring he's a little more passive about it.

You said coyotes, and then you said pack of wild dogs. Which is it? Dogs gone wild is much different and they do kill for sport.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:52 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
It's coyotes. I hear them howling and i believe there were pups. I'm not sure when the puppies separate. I've always heard multiple voices howling. I've never believed the are solitary.

Thanks for all the condolences. we always had him in at night but got distracted during my guy's heart attack episode.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:45 PM

115 posts, read 205,055 times
I forgot to mention in my post that early June of this year, a two year old boy was mauled right in his yard with his mother right next to him. This was in a larger rural/urban town about two hundred miles east of us. He was mauled very badly, and had to endure the rabies vaccinations as the coyote was confirmed rabid.
This is what will happen if they are allowed to migrate into urban areas and not controlled. A child is just dinner.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:44 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Thanks, denim. My point.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:18 PM

9,877 posts, read 7,207,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
It's coyotes. I hear them howling and i believe there were pups. I'm not sure when the puppies separate. I've always heard multiple voices howling. I've never believed the are solitary.

Thanks for all the condolences. we always had him in at night but got distracted during my guy's heart attack episode.
At about 9 months, a coyote pup may go out on their own but not all do. Some remain with the pack.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:37 PM

837 posts, read 1,225,439 times
Differences between coyotes and coywolves

We have them all over the place up here in MA. My neighborhood is surrounded by protected wetlands and a golf course, both of which are prime coyote/coywolf habitats. Here you can only hunt them in October, IIIRC, and there's a huge list of do's and don'ts, especially in populated areas. They must sense this, so they stick to those areas knowing full and well that nobody will be able to go after them.

We occasionally see one or two in the course of a year. We hear them late at night. Every year we have flyers up all over the neighborhood about missing cats and toy dogs. I'd like to think that most people would be clued in enough by now to not leave their pets unattended and to not willingly let their cats out. My neighbor, like the OP, lost her dear kitty to a coyote a couple of summers ago.

All said, I find them fascinating. There's a reason why Wile E. is called Wile E.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:17 AM

9,755 posts, read 7,466,855 times
There's been a coyote(s) in our yard in Trumbull a couple times in the past week or 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut