Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 03:46 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,454,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
To be 15 minutes from Pratt & Whitney pretty much limits you to towns adjacent to East Hartford. Glastonbury is a great town. The schools are wonderful , it has nice parks and family activities and there is a nice selection of shops and restaurants. Despite its reputation of being for wealthy people, it is surprisingly diverse and affordable IMHO but well located and priced homes in your range will get sold quickly. Just looking at current listings shows few if any decent homes in your price range.

Wethersfield is also a wonderful town but your husband will have to cross the Connecticut River which while not horrible can be difficult at times. Rocky Hill and Newington are also nice and affordable but I think having a 15 minute commute from either of them will be difficult.

Another town you might consider is South Windsor. IT is beautiful and has a number of nice homes in your price range. The schools are very good and there is a lot of great shopping there and nearby. Getting from South Windsor to Pratt in 15 minutes though may be difficult.

As to you want to be under $500 per month on taxes, it is likely that you will have to be toward the lower end of your price range to do so. Many of the homes in these towns have taxes higher than $6,000 but not by much. I would suggest you look at home listings that interest you and consider the taxes they have. I think you might have to budget $10 to $70 more per month. Good luck, Jay
Pratt to the southern Half of South Windsor in 15 minutes is about right. Northern half is longer. Short mileage wise just alot of lights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 09:14 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtohartfordct View Post
Dh and I are in our early 30s, have two toddlers with special needs and looking for a safe area with good special needs programs. Commute should be no longer than 15 minutes. Housing budget depends on property taxes, but based on what I've read ($500 a month?), I am hoping to find something 250-320k range.

Any suggestions or specific areas? I like Rocky Hill and Newington, anything else comparable?
If those are your two parameters Rocky Hill is the best choice. Newington may work tax wise, but is more than a 15 minute drive. South Windsor may work too, but there will be a lot of traffic driving south in i-91 towards Hartford every day. You can also use RT 5 into East Hartford, but that has lots of traffic lights. Either way commute will be more than 15 minutes.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:42 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtohartfordct View Post
Thanks, currently signed a lease in Rocky Hill and it takes about 15 minutes, plus dh is working nights. Our rent is $1800 for a two bedroom and we pay our own utilities. We are buying in a year, since that's how long our lease is. I am expanding our commute time based on what I am seeing. Dh thinks 25-30 minutes is reasonable if located in a good school district. We may have to raise the budget. But higher priced house means higher tax. Thanks again. I will check South Windsor out.
Rocky Hill is a great town but unless you live right off the highway and commute during off peak hours, it will likely be a longer commute than 15 minutes. I have a friend that lives in Glastonbury 5 miles from Pratt and it takes him 15 minutes to get to work there. That is driveway to parking spot. This is why I had suggested Glastonbury immediately. Much further would mean going over the 15 minute commute time.

Anyway, expanding on the commute time would open up a lot more options. A lot of good suggestions have been made here. Good luck with your home search. Jay

Old 09-15-2017, 10:48 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Rocky Hill is a great town but unless you live right off the highway and commute during off peak hours, it will likely be a longer commute than 15 minutes. I have a friend that lives in Glastonbury 5 miles from Pratt and it takes him 15 minutes to get to work there. That is driveway to parking spot. This is why I had suggested Glastonbury immediately. Much further would mean going over the 15 minute commute time.

Anyway, expanding on the commute time would open up a lot more options. A lot of good suggestions have been made here. Good luck with your home search. Jay
If someone lives on the east side of Rocky Hill its possible to commute to Pratt in 15-20 mins. The east side is roughly defined as being within a half mile of Silas Deane Hwy/Main St - Old Main St - Dividend Rd

One can drive down Old Main St into Wethersfield and turn right onto Rt 3 to the Putnam Bride into Glastonbury / Rt 2 west. Pratt has multiple entrances so that could add more time if they have to enter on Silver Ln East Hartford vs Main St East Hartford.

Housing budget is more of an issue than commute time though. Not much in Rocky Hill under 300k unless you want something really small and or needing work. OP's budget would go farther in Newington.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:56 AM

504 posts, read 384,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
You can also use RT 5 into East Hartford, but that has lots of traffic lights. Either way commute will be more than 15 minutes.
Still a lot better than taking I91 during rush hour. The lights are pain, but it's mostly downtown East Hartford where it's gets congested.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:34 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
If someone lives on the east side of Rocky Hill its possible to commute to Pratt in 15-20 mins. The east side is roughly defined as being within a half mile of Silas Deane Hwy/Main St - Old Main St - Dividend Rd

One can drive down Old Main St into Wethersfield and turn right onto Rt 3 to the Putnam Bride into Glastonbury / Rt 2 west. Pratt has multiple entrances so that could add more time if they have to enter on Silver Ln East Hartford vs Main St East Hartford.

Housing budget is more of an issue than commute time though. Not much in Rocky Hill under 300k unless you want something really small and or needing work. OP's budget would go farther in Newington.
Traffic on Route 2 and Main Street by Pratt pushes a non-rush hour drive over the 15 minute commute time. Like I said if it takes someone living 5 miles from Pratt 15 minutes to get there, it is obvious that someone living 10 miles away will be longer. I drive by Pratt all the time during rush hour so I know the backups that occur there. They just add time to the commute. Jay

Old 09-16-2017, 07:07 PM

331 posts, read 207,709 times
Quote:

Surprisingly, we have found quite a few in our budget.Not looking for anything too big. We are a former active duty military family and have no family or friends around here. dh's work schedule has him missing most of the day traffic. I am more concerned about the winter storms that hit this area.

Property taxes are a primary concern, because certain leaders in congress want to do away with property and interest deductions. Not sure how it will work out, but don't want to buy and then take a hit on property value, in addition to the tax issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut