Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How important are NYC/Boston for you?
I'm obsessed! I'm there like every weekend! 6 11.11%
I go often, maybe once a month or every few months 20 37.04%
Once in a while I'll go, but don't really care much for them 9 16.67%
Practically never. I could care less about them. 19 35.19%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 03:02 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,179,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I'm with you. They're about the same distance but I much prefer Boston.

That said, I indicated in the poll that I could care less. I can't remember the last time I was in NYC. I do want to check out some Salem tours, maybe this winter. I'd love to check out Ellis Island but the traffic and crowds make it a no-go for me. Other than that, there is no appeal and if I never make Salem I won't be crushed.
Outside of weekday rush hours, NYC is a breeze to get to by car.
In the past couple of weeks took me 55-60 mins/each way to and from JFK.
To and from northern Manhattan/Yankee stadium 50 mins each way.
Consistently like that everytime for the 3 or 4 annual visits. Getting through the Stamford/Greenwich (in CT) is the scariest hold your breath part.
Follow Waze to avoid any construction/accidents along the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 04:14 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,455,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Consistently like that everytime for the 3 or 4 annual visits. Getting through the Stamford/Greenwich (in CT) is the scariest hold your breath part.
For me here in Manchester it's 2-2.5 hours minimum. I used to go in to the city for work several times a year and drive thru it quite a lot. I have hit heavy traffic every day of the week. I will admit sometimes I blow right in , but less then half the time more like 25% have I not hit traffic. Last time I drove in on a Saturday morning I ended up as a stand still in New Rochelle for 45 minutes. Not saying Boston is great I just have had less issues. I was stuck on 95 for quite a while back in February on a Friday before rush hour (around 2) but somehow I find it less annoying.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:19 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,455,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
BDL is really expensive and you have to connect to get anywhere useful.

I take the BOS-LHR morning BA flight to get to Europe so I don't have to take an overnight flight. From CT, you can park in Framingham for $7.00/day and take Logan Express in. I do that all the time from their Braintree lot. On shorter trips, I do the prepaid rate at PreFlight in Chelsea.
I have considered it most of the time travel is for work so price isn't a big issue. That said in the past I haven't found it to be hugely more expensive. I also rarely fly international most of mine are up and down the East Coast.

My issue is Framingham is an hour and half or so from my house, vs 20 minutes to BDL, plus at BDL I can show up fairly late and get thru security for BOS I have to leave extra time for the bus from Framingham.
For me I'd rather just park the car and be done.

But yeah I almost always have a connecting flight, but rarely does it equal more time then driving to JFK or BOS.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:59 PM

6,585 posts, read 4,968,631 times
Quote:
Maybe from where you live. It's over 2 hours from the Glastonbury line at this time of night. And holds no appeal to me. I've been there. School trips, business meetings. Hate sports so no need to go to a stadium. Don't fly.

Parking? Just the thought of it is stressful. And I get carsick so I can't do public transportation. (yes I have tried every remedy known to mankind and the one that works the best is me behind the wheel)

Last time I went to NY (state) as a destination was to explore an abandoned hotel in the Catskills. No traffic, absolutely no people. Now THAT was fun!

Old 09-18-2017, 08:17 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,204,738 times
Quote:
Depends when, where and which way. But, yes, at certain times traffic thru Stamford and Norwalk is worse than into Manhattan.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:18 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,166,978 times
Tough to ignore NYC - we wouldnt be one of the wealthiest states without our proximity to the city named twice. I'm there every week day and 20 or so weekends annually. The arts, sports and restaurants of Connecticut barely register. I also fly regularly and CT has no major airport. For those of you that are CT introverts, you really are missing out. For me personally, my income would be 1/4 of where I am if I gave in to the convenience of working close by.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:05 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
But yeah I almost always have a connecting flight, but rarely does it equal more time then driving to JFK or BOS.
Until you get stranded at some hub due to a missed connection.

BDL is pretty good as a regional airport. Like Providence and Manchester, NH, you can get to all the east coast hubs and the Floriduh touron market is pretty competitive. It's a bit better than the other regional airports because it has more long haul east/west service. In Providence, the only flight west of the Mississippi is a new Frontier DEN flight. MHT doesn't have anything. Those long haul routes out of BDL aren't competitive so they're very expensive. No big deal if you're on expense report.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Tough to ignore NYC - we wouldnt be one of the wealthiest states without our proximity to the city named twice. I'm there every week day and 20 or so weekends annually. The arts, sports and restaurants of Connecticut barely register. I also fly regularly and CT has no major airport. For those of you that are CT introverts, you really are missing out. For me personally, my income would be 1/4 of where I am if I gave in to the convenience of working close by.
Introverts commute, too.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:13 AM

14,053 posts, read 13,926,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
So without NYC CT is wasteland

Old 09-19-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
So without NYC CT is wasteland
Wasteland? No. Fairfield County would certainly be a heck of a lot less affluent and all that tax revenue to the state would be lost. No different than anywhere else. Western Mass would be like West Virginia if it weren't propped up by all the metro Boston tax revenue. Vermont would keel over without Chittenden County. Just the former IBM plant (now GlobalFoundries) is 5,000+ tech jobs. In a state of 600,000 people, losing those jobs would cripple the state budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut