Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 09:15 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,926,968 times

Advertisements

Fairfield Metro

https://en.parkopedia.com/parking/lo...g=201710082230
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 05:48 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Depends how far you want to drive, and whether or not you want to pay for parking. New Haven would be closest, but parking isn't free. Milford or West Haven are also good and parking is free. If you'd prefer a shorter train ride, look into Darien (also free weekend parking).

After you pay for gas + Metro North ticket, and considering convenience, you're probably better off hopping Amtrak from Hartford. That's what I'd do.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:18 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EShee View Post
FYI - the Hartford Line (rail connecting Hartford to New Haven and thus, Metro North) is schedule to start operation May 2018.
I can't wait for this to happen. With the Springfield-New Haven rail line connecting to Metro North, this will mean no more driving down to Milford or someplace in NH or Fairfield County to leave the car. Granted, it would be a longer train ride, but still, it's exciting to see this project is finally becoming a reality. It's nice to see this type of public transit expanding to this part of the state, and I plan on taking advantage of it whenever possible. Hopefully others will do the same.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:08 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,179,326 times
Doesn't make any sense to backtrack to Branford/Guilford.
Lock the car doors, don't leave any diamonds or ipads on the seats in clear view, and you should be ok safety wise with the advent of parking garages, security cameras, lack of train station break ins reported on varios town papers, etc and so on

Old 10-09-2017, 08:43 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I can't wait for this to happen. With the Springfield-New Haven rail line connecting to Metro North, this will mean no more driving down to Milford or someplace in NH or Fairfield County to leave the car. Granted, it would be a longer train ride, but still, it's exciting to see this project is finally becoming a reality. It's nice to see this type of public transit expanding to this part of the state, and I plan on taking advantage of it whenever possible. Hopefully others will do the same.
I'm optimistic, but if the fares are too high no one is going to use it. Fares have not been determined yet, but I found this quote; "Fare prices have yet to be determined, but are expected to be the same as Amtrak"

Commuter train service to start in May 2018 in New Haven – Springfield, Mass. line | FOX 61

Current Amtrak fare from Hartford to New Haven is $8-$11 one way. No ones going to pay that, especially since traffic between New Haven and Springfield is tolerable (unlike I-95). At those fares people will chose to use their cars instead. Those fares need to be cut in half to have any chance of success.

For comparison, CT Transit has a Middletown - New Haven express bus that costs $4.50 one way and you can park for free in the commuter lot in Middletown. This lot is just off I-91 next to the Public Safety complex and the bus picks up from that lot too.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I'm optimistic, but if the fares are too high no one is going to use it. Fares have not been determined yet, but I found this quote; "Fare prices have yet to be determined, but are expected to be the same as Amtrak"

Commuter train service to start in May 2018 in New Haven – Springfield, Mass. line | FOX 61

Current Amtrak fare from Hartford to New Haven is $8-$11 one way. No ones going to pay that, especially since traffic between New Haven and Springfield is tolerable (unlike I-95). At those fares people will chose to use their cars instead.

I'm not sure I'd call I-91 tolerable. If you compare it to the I-95 corridor between New Haven and the NY state line, that may be, but 91 can still be brutal. If push comes to shove and people would rather not put up with the gridlock, they may just opt for the commuter rail instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers
Those fares need to be cut in half to have any chance of success.
Well, it might come to that if ridership is low enough. We'll have to wait and see. In any event, that does seem a little expensive and I agree it shouldn't be that high. Not saying it should be free (or even cheap, per se), but that does seem to be a little much.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:27 PM

712 posts, read 542,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Fairfield Metro is actually much bigger

Fairfield Metro 1,500 parking space
Milford train station 676 they adding up to 400 still not on par with Fairfield Metro
West Haven 660 parking space

Milford to add up to 400 parking spaces at train station - New Haven Register
Fairfield Metro should be back up station. The preferred station for OP is West Haven.

I use West Haven station daily Monday through Friday, sometimes returned very late from NYC in the past year close to mid night, never had safety concerns.

I don't know anything about Milford station parking lot. Tried couple of times in the weekend at Fairfield Metro and found the parking lot is huge, much bigger than West Haven. Fairfield Metro is bit of more driving for OP from Hartford though.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:53 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,065,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxzz View Post
Fairfield Metro should be back up station. The preferred station for OP is West Haven.

I use West Haven station daily Monday through Friday, sometimes returned very late from NYC in the past year close to mid night, never had safety concerns.

I don't know anything about Milford station parking lot. Tried couple of times in the weekend at Fairfield Metro and found the parking lot is huge, much bigger than West Haven. Fairfield Metro is bit of more driving for OP from Hartford though.
I would choose Milford over West Haven simply because 95 from New Haven to West Haven is always congested. With Milford you can take 15 down, which is a more pleasant drive.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I would choose Milford over West Haven simply because 95 from New Haven to West Haven is always congested. With Milford you can take 15 down, which is a more pleasant drive.
That's exactly what I've been doing for years now. Once I discovered the Milford station, I stopped using Union Station and Milford has proven to be way more convenient: less traffic, a more scenic route, free parking (on weekends at least, when I go).

Old 10-10-2017, 09:26 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,095 times
I've used the Milford station too and I think "free parking" starts at 5pm Fridays until 12 midnight Sundays. There's a sign in the lot noting the "free parking" times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut