Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 07:06 PM

6,479 posts, read 4,879,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
When I was there a few weeks ago, it was open sort of late on Thursday 5:30, I think. I SHOULD only need to be there for about an hour. One good thing about the place is that cafeteria downstairs--it has good food, cheap. Something to look forward to after the ordeal.
Yep, it's 5:30 Thursday and 4 or 4:30 the other nights. I want to say 4 because I remember I wouldn't make it and I get out of work at 4, which is pretty early.

And from what I understand, they actually close at 5:30 now. No more "as long as you're in the door, you're good". They monitor the line downstairs and shut the door in there are too many people.

Good luck! My simple registration took THREE trips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 04:14 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,606,942 times
The DMV is a dinosaur... A real opportunity to save state money, modernize and improve customer service. The whole thing could be gutted and rebuilt on a model of minimal physical facilities, to run at probably 5% the cost with a vastly improved experience for state residents.

Another thing -- I can't speak specifically to the current state of CT DMV capabilities, but in MA for instance, there seems to be little information-sharing across state lines and with law enforcement agencies.

Old 11-10-2017, 04:43 AM

26,645 posts, read 28,492,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Yep, it's 5:30 Thursday and 4 or 4:30 the other nights. I want to say 4 because I remember I wouldn't make it and I get out of work at 4, which is pretty early.

And from what I understand, they actually close at 5:30 now. No more "as long as you're in the door, you're good". They monitor the line downstairs and shut the door in there are too many people.

Good luck! My simple registration took THREE trips.
Spent FOUR hours there today, mostly sitting. They said anyone who already has a number will be served. When I left at 5:30 they said they'd probably be there another hour. There was still a line.

This is my fourth trip and I'll be going back because I stupidly forgot my birth certificate. But my husband was finally able to transfer his license from MA to CT. $120 more to our state coffers!

The car was already registered (took a few tries. They actually sent us to Hartford to get a physical paper social security card when we already had letters from SS that had the numbers.)

It's not that great in MA either but at least in MA they have modernized most of the places and streamlined the process a bit. It used to be worse but quite some time ago we had a rebellion and some politician actually listened.

The building itself needs to be knocked down and they could start over with something more inviting and up to date, something with a decent ventilation system...the list goes on.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:14 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,412,936 times
I just moved out of Ct.; went to DMV on Monday just to see what I need to get a license here and I took a number, was called to a desk in about 10 minutes. Was told I need a certified copy of my birth certificate. The DMV employee actually printed out the info sheet from vital statistics in Ct and the form I have to fill out to order my birth certificate. When I get my license, it will cost $40 and be good for 8 years.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:19 PM

13,993 posts, read 13,782,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
I just moved out of Ct.; went to DMV on Monday just to see what I need to get a license here and I took a number, was called to a desk in about 10 minutes. Was told I need a certified copy of my birth certificate. The DMV employee actually printed out the info sheet from vital statistics in Ct and the form I have to fill out to order my birth certificate. When I get my license, it will cost $40 and be good for 8 years.
Florida or North Carolina

Old 11-11-2017, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Florida or North Carolina
Actually, Delaware. I tried to edit my profile, but coukdn't. I love it here - they make everything so easy. I cancelled my plates in Ct., but was told if I want a refund on my registration I had to go to a DMV office - not worth the aggravation.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:39 AM

6,479 posts, read 4,879,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Spent FOUR hours there today, mostly sitting. They said anyone who already has a number will be served. When I left at 5:30 they said they'd probably be there another hour. There was still a line.

This is my fourth trip and I'll be going back because I stupidly forgot my birth certificate. But my husband was finally able to transfer his license from MA to CT. $120 more to our state coffers!
You had to spend 4 hours to get to the first desk to find out you forgot your birth certificate? Ouch!!

We did 2 Thursday nights and I finally got the plate one morning, getting there 15 minutes before they opened. It was surprisingly empty at that time.

What I really hate is that you get different answers from every single person in there. I tried to use a plate I still had from an older car and she told me that it wouldn't work unless it the plate was only a few years old which makes no sense. She had checked the back of mine when she said that. Then she scanned the new one. I think the real reason was because I didn't have a barcode on the old one to scan.

So I tried to save the state money by reusing a plate but their employee was too dumb or lazy to input the number.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:02 AM

34,727 posts, read 56,531,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
Actually, Delaware. I tried to edit my profile, but coukdn't. I love it here - they make everything so easy. I cancelled my plates in Ct., but was told if I want a refund on my registration I had to go to a DMV office - not worth the aggravation.
What was the day and time you went there? People who go mid day on a weekday do not normally have excessive problems either. It is mostly peak times like first thing in the morning, the end of the day or Saturdays that there are long waits. Likely the same there too. Jay

Old 11-11-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
What was the day and time you went there? People who go mid day on a weekday do not normally have excessive problems either. It is mostly peak times like first thing in the morning, the end of the day or Saturdays that there are long waits. Likely the same there too. Jay
It was this past Tuesday, about 11am. The first desk you go to asks what you need and I said license and got a ticket with letter A followed by 235; they were helping 228 at that time. Other people had B tickets, which might be registration or plate matters. They have 20+ desks that visitors get called to when their number is reached. This was a large DMV office (by Delaware standards) since it is in the state Capitol. I was mostly impressed by the employee printing out the info I needed to get my birth certificate, and his greeting "Welcome to Delaware".

Old 11-11-2017, 04:50 PM

26,645 posts, read 28,492,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
You had to spend 4 hours to get to the first desk to find out you forgot your birth certificate? Ouch!!

We did 2 Thursday nights and I finally got the plate one morning, getting there 15 minutes before they opened. It was surprisingly empty at that time.

What I really hate is that you get different answers from every single person in there. I tried to use a plate I still had from an older car and she told me that it wouldn't work unless it the plate was only a few years old which makes no sense. She had checked the back of mine when she said that. Then she scanned the new one. I think the real reason was because I didn't have a barcode on the old one to scan.

So I tried to save the state money by reusing a plate but their employee was too dumb or lazy to input the number.
No, actually it was my husband who had to wait four hours to get his license. We realized at the first window that we didn't have birth certificates with us. Fortunately for him, he's from England and is required to carry his green card at all times. They used his green card instead of a birth certificate. (I'm American so I don't have a green card.)

So we're going back on Tuesday--we usually get there about noon or 1 pm. I'll have my passport or birth certificate and I'll have to be ready to write out a check for $120 and I hope it doesn't take another four hours.

The people who welcome you and give you a number when you enter are very pleasant--the trouble starts after that.

Last edited by in_newengland; 11-11-2017 at 10:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut