Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2008, 09:13 AM

7 posts, read 22,953 times

Advertisements

Question,

I recently took a job in Stratford. My wife is looking for a job, and for what she does found a couple of positions in Stamford and Norwalk that fit the bill. I'm moving from Long Island with the idea of getting away from the cost of living. I was hoping to settle in New Haven County and have been eyeballing Milford. Does anyone know how the commute is from Milford to Norwalk?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 09:38 AM

5 posts, read 15,873 times
It is a very long ride. I-95 and the Merritt are stop and go during rush hour traffic. You may want to look further down the line, maybe Trumbull. This would offer your wife the alternative of taking back roads down (at least to Westport) Traffic can be beat but I believe you have to be out of the house by 6:00 AM. Other option is Metro North. Alot of corporations have shuttles from the station to the office. I know you said you want New Haven County but the commute is not fun.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:29 AM

7 posts, read 22,953 times
Default how about back over across new haven

how is the traffic going back through new haven. i am working in stratford and really am just looking all over for a job for my wife. we've heard good things about living in guilford. how would that drive be coming from guilford to stratford if say i were to be at work everyday by 7 and leave by 3:30?

Old 04-24-2008, 12:20 PM

201 posts, read 727,346 times
Lot's of people take the metro north into stamford. milford to stamford shortest am train is 36 minutes. see schedule below. good luck!

mta.info | Metro-North Railroad

Old 04-24-2008, 08:58 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingCT View Post
how is the traffic going back through new haven. i am working in stratford and really am just looking all over for a job for my wife. we've heard good things about living in guilford. how would that drive be coming from guilford to stratford if say i were to be at work everyday by 7 and leave by 3:30?
At those times, it would be kind of a hit and miss deal. Some days not too bad, sometimes not great, sometimes horrible. A.M. would probably be the slower go.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:26 AM

246 posts, read 873,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingCT View Post
From Guilford to Stratford, you're likely to hit traffic in East Haven, over the Q Bridge in New Haven, and from New Haven to Stratford, as the previous poster said, it's hit or miss.

For a less stressful commute, you can take Shoreline East from Guilford to New Haven, then switch to Metro-North at Union Station in New Haven to Stratford. Of course, this would only be ideal if your place of employment is close to the train station in Stratford.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:15 PM

49 posts, read 200,106 times
If you have to be to work at 7 that means you'd be leaving guilford around 6:15-6:30 (I'd say closer to 6:15 to play it safe). At that time you should generally have very little problem going through New Haven. I'm one that says that the commute through New Haven is, for the most part, overexaggerated. I commute all the way down to Stamford from Branford leaving around 7am and almost never have a problem going through New Haven. If I do it's going through Long Wharf, not over the Q Bridge. Almost all the traffic I hit on my commute is from around the Bridgeport/Fairfield line (when it's really bad it could be back to the Arena in Bridgeport) down to Darien (exit 11). Leaving around 7 gets me to work anywhere between 8 and 8:30 depending on just how bad traffic is that day. The only other place I may hit traffic is East Haven (Frontage Rd section). It's usually heavy, but moves ok.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:01 PM

66 posts, read 217,121 times
Not too bad in terms of commute.

Last edited by JayCT; 05-05-2008 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: No advertising
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut