Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 07:18 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times

Advertisements

New Haven to Stratford is easy compared to what you're used to. The only days that it will be a bummer are summer Friday afternoons, where it could take 45 minutes or possibly more. For the most part, it's not a bad commute at all.

From Milford, there's pretty much zero traffic unless there's an accident or construction, so that's worth considering. There's usually a small backup on the Milford connector and the exit to Sikorsky. No big deal. Milford does have lots of great parks and outdoor activities. Some beaches you can take dogs, and Eisenhower Park has dog trails and a dog park. Downtown has a great coffee shop (Cafe Atlantique) and a fantastic brunch place (Corner Restaurant).

New Haven offers a lot more than Milford (dozens of coffee shops and brunch places) as far as culture/dining/shopping/bars, but being in Milford gives you pretty easy access to all that stuff, as well as easy access to Fairfield/Black Rock.

For a Sikorsky commute, Westville could be an option. It's a small neighborhood in New Haven that's a bit separated, and not very walkable to downtown, but has cute shops and eateries, and nearby West Rock Park for outdoors activities. It would be a better commute than downtown.

Google Maps' historic traffic data is really handy for checking commutes.

For instance, if you put in Monday AM leaving at 8AM, it says Downtown New Haven to Sikorsky takes an average of 18 - 28 min, whereas leaving Friday at 5PM (the worst traffic of the week) says 24 - 45 min. I'm not sure the distance to South Norwalk would be worth it. I like that area, but even against traffic, it's as least as long of a commute as to New Haven, if not more. And it's generally more expensive.

Last edited by Stylo; 12-21-2017 at 07:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 08:44 PM

752 posts, read 553,737 times
I live in Milford, work in New Haven. I take the train on a daily basis to and from work...

I think if you're going to consider Westville, you should strongly consider Milford. The difference between Westville to downtown New Haven and Milford to downtown New Haven is about 5 minutes. Additionally, Milford is very convenient to Sikorski-- Lots of Sikorski employees live in Milford.

You can find a nice place within your budget-- or for even less.

I think Milford gives the best of both worlds--A good choice of rentals, nice beaches (4 or 5 of them), good restaurants, good access to Stratford and New Haven. I go in to New Haven, not just for work, but frequently for entertainment or just for a good coffeeshop. (Try Koffee and Coffee Paddler)

Good luck with your move and please let us know where you end up!

Old 12-22-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrashears View Post
why on earth move to the frozen NE corridor in the first place? unless you were forced to make a transfer? life's too short - and taxes are stupid high!
Not everyone hates winter, and as for taxes, they’re coming from LA.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:32 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Not everyone hates winter, and as for taxes, they’re coming from LA.
...LA, where income tax is a little higher, but property taxes are half and vehicle property tax doesn’t exist, so he does have a point.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
...LA, where income tax is a little higher, but property taxes are half and vehicle property tax doesn’t exist, so he does have a point.
AFAIK income tax is quite a bit higher, and they’re renting. COL is way lower here.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
AFAIK income tax is quite a bit higher, and they’re renting. COL is way lower here.
It’s 2% higher there. COL will be less than LA in New Haven, same as LA in Fairfield, but we’re talking about taxes - not overall cost of living. CA, believe it or not, has quite a bit of a lower tax burden. Fact.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:57 AM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrashears View Post
why on earth move to the frozen NE corridor in the first place? unless you were forced to make a transfer? life's too short - and taxes are stupid high!
Connecticut has a great quality of life. It is among the highest in the country. The area has wonderful cultural and historical amenities and is near so much (big cities, rural, mountains, beaches, etc.). The charm and character of New England appeals to many. While it is cold and can be snowy during the winter, it is mostly beautiful the remainder of the year. We don't have major earthquakes and massive wildfires like LA does. And not everyone is concerned about a few pennies it may or may not cost to live here. No where is perfect and it is a matter of opinion what part of the country is best to live. To me I would rather live in Connecticut than any other part of this country and I have looked closely at a number of areas. Jay

Old 12-22-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Connecticut has a great quality of life. It is among the highest in the country. The area has wonderful cultural and historical amenities and is near so much (big cities, rural, mountains, beaches, etc.). The charm and character of New England appeals to many. While it is cold and can be snowy during the winter, it is mostly beautiful the remainder of the year. We don't have major earthquakes and massive wildfires like LA does. And not everyone is concerned about a few pennies it may or may not cost to live here. No where is perfect and it is a matter of opinion what part of the country is best to live. To me I would rather live in Connecticut than any other part of this country and I have looked closely at a number of areas. Jay
I agree that CT has a great quality of life. That said, there are places that offer just as good a quality of life as CT, for less pennies. Overall, it depends on the person.

A move to New Haven, for a renter, will be cheaper than LA. Will it make their quality of life better? Again, depends on the person.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:04 AM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It’s 2% higher there. COL will be less than LA in New Haven, same as LA in Fairfield, but we’re talking about taxes - not overall cost of living. CA, believe it or not, has quite a bit of a lower tax burden. Fact.
According to the CNN Money Cost of Living Calculator, a person making $100,000 in LA would need to make $86,000 in New Haven for a comparable standard of living. That is a lot more than 2%. While I realize this is just a general comparison, it does give the OP an idea of the differences in overall COL. Jay

Old 12-22-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
According to the CNN Money Cost of Living Calculator, a person making $100,000 in LA would need to make $86,000 in New Haven for a comparable standard of living. That is a lot more than 2%. While I realize this is just a general comparison, it does give the OP an idea of the differences in overall COL. Jay
If you go back and re-read, you will see my 2% was referring to income tax rate. Yes, New Haven has a lower cost of living, but the area has a higher tax burden for the average resident than CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut