Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 10:50 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,955,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Cove is rough around the edges. But I see it getting better.
Agreed, I definitely see that potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 11:34 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Cove is rough around the edges. But I see it getting better.
I agree. It is too well located to stay rough. Seems prime for investment. Jay

Old 12-26-2017, 05:13 PM

328 posts, read 425,881 times
An investment in a condo in Stamford would be more for income and tax benefits than appreciation. The town is not really a condo city ... Trump took 5 years to sell all condos, HighGrove started out as condo and became leasing as did the older Classic, which tried changing back to condo and now is leasing again. I hunch your due diligence will show resale on condos to be flat if not negative for the past decade. Most condo developers thought they would appeal to downsizers, but slow sales of single family throughout the city thwarted that strategy.

That said, the city is a hot lease town -- especially for the younger crowd who now prefer discretionary rental to fixed ownership -- so anything located near downtown restaurant, train, entertainment, and bar scene should lease out quickly. The Ridgeway area lies just a bit beyond that hot spot, but still well located.

Last edited by lginlg; 12-26-2017 at 05:23 PM..

Old 12-26-2017, 06:30 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lginlg View Post
An investment in a condo in Stamford would be more for income and tax benefits than appreciation. The town is not really a condo city ... Trump took 5 years to sell all condos, HighGrove started out as condo and became leasing as did the older Classic, which tried changing back to condo and now is leasing again. I hunch your due diligence will show resale on condos to be flat if not negative for the past decade. Most condo developers thought they would appeal to downsizers, but slow sales of single family throughout the city thwarted that strategy.

That said, the city is a hot lease town -- especially for the younger crowd who now prefer discretionary rental to fixed ownership -- so anything located near downtown restaurant, train, entertainment, and bar scene should lease out quickly. The Ridgeway area lies just a bit beyond that hot spot, but still well located.
Most of the problems with those projects had to do with timing. They came on the market during a recession. And the OP seems to want to rent the place out, not flip it. If Stamford is a lease city as you say it could be a good investment. Jay

Old 12-27-2017, 01:59 PM

328 posts, read 425,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Most of the problems with those projects had to do with timing. They came on the market during a recession. And the OP seems to want to rent the place out, not flip it. If Stamford is a lease city as you say it could be a good investment. Jay
Absolutely. if the intention is rental not resale, then a smart investment. And yes the examples I offered came to market during 2007-2010. However, Jay, there's more recent evidence that the market in Stamford totally prefers lease to purchase.

Consider the Beacon high rise in Harbor point that opened in the past couple of years. Originally designed as a two tower condo and hotel, BLT changed course and brought it to the market exclusively as rental apartments. Of the 2400 units that make up the residential building boom of Harbor Point, none is condo. Moreover, all the new residential downtown construction (including such stalwarts as Summer House, Vela, 66 Summer, BLVD, Element 1, Bedford Hall, the Hole in in the Ground complex, and the about to open Atlalntic Station) none are conceived or marketed as condo. Now that I think about it, I can't point to any new condos in Stamford that have been built in the past 10 years.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:38 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,955,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lginlg View Post
Absolutely. if the intention is rental not resale, then a smart investment. And yes the examples I offered came to market during 2007-2010. However, Jay, there's more recent evidence that the market in Stamford totally prefers lease to purchase.

Consider the Beacon high rise in Harbor point that opened in the past couple of years. Originally designed as a two tower condo and hotel, BLT changed course and brought it to the market exclusively as rental apartments. Of the 2400 units that make up the residential building boom of Harbor Point, none is condo. Moreover, all the new residential downtown construction (including such stalwarts as Summer House, Vela, 66 Summer, BLVD, Element 1, Bedford Hall, the Hole in in the Ground complex, and the about to open Atlalntic Station) none are conceived or marketed as condo. Now that I think about it, I can't point to any new condos in Stamford that have been built in the past 10 years.
Thanks for the response. Jay is absolutely right, I would be holding not flipping the condo.

I'll check out Beacon high rise as well as the other buildings downtown to see if there are any good deals available.

Very informative!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut