Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 01:54 PM

34,048 posts, read 17,064,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottamemnon View Post
I work in IT for Insurance... what you would think is a core Hartford, and I am finding more money elsewhere... of course Hartford is loaded with H1B visa workers in IT which might be part of the issue.

Of course if you are in FFC it might be different, although to me living close to NYC is hell on earth, you couldn't pay me enough to be near that place. Also anywhere that requires a $1M house to live with a reasonable commute is silly in my opinion. All it took was one period of time where my wife and I both were laid off in the economic downturn, to tell us never to take on that much financial risk. To each their own though.

In general, FFC pays more than the rest of Ct for certain sectors, and , pays comparable to the rest of the nation in some.

If one is tied to Wall St style industries, they will out pay other sectors. If one is not, they may cover the COL gap between ultra expensive FFC and other regions.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:02 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBritainCT_native89 View Post
My experience is different when I moved to Florida, took me 8 month to find work vs moving back to CT getting work within a month.
That's because Florida isn't Kentucky.

I know Kentucky has some stereotypes about it, but it's not as backwards as Florida which is a giant magnet for all types of lowlifes (sorry to any decent people who might be in Florida, as small a percentage as you are).

Kentucky still has a lot of the rural/semi-rural community values which foster accountability and responsibility if you want to be accepted by your neighbors, community and town and it's a shame that those values have largely been lost in the coastal states.

Wages are also abysmal in Florida compared to comparable jobs elsewhere. Call it "the sun penalty". And those low wages are a double whammy when you factor in that cost of living is high due to wealthy New England elderly transplants moving to FL who don't care about the price of anything.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:06 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
Kentucky still has a lot of the rural/semi-rural community values which foster accountability and responsibility if you want to be accepted by your neighbors, community and town and it's a shame that those values have largely been lost in the coastal states.
What’s this accountability and responsibility you speak of? I haven’t experienced such a thing in Connecticut.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:29 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
Quote:
Kentucky still has a lot of the rural/semi-rural community values** which foster accountability and responsibility if you want to be accepted by your neighbors, community and town and it's a shame that those values have largely been lost in the coastal states.
I'd like to know what you mean too. I assume you mean CT is one of the states that has lost it's values. Can you expand on your answer, thanks.

**Do you mean the kind of values like Kentucky's senators Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul would like to throw millions of people off the ACA and leave them without healthcare?

Old 01-13-2018, 03:34 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,833,833 times
Quote:
That's because Florida isn't Kentucky.

How does this create jobs ?

Old 01-13-2018, 04:54 PM

34,048 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I'd like to know what you mean too. I assume you mean CT is one of the states that has lost it's values. Can you expand on your answer, thanks.
Tithing (giving 10% Gross to charity and churches) is common in Southeast, not Ct.

My last Tn employer sponsors 3 families (employee contribs, company match) each Christmas, where we anonymously bought them items from a list they needed, plus gifts for kids under a tree we bought, plus paid towards past due utility bills. The total averaged around $1k per family per year. Matched up via a United Way subsidiary. We also averaged over $100 per employee annually towards the United Way annually, matched 2x by the company.

I have yet to see a NY or Ct corp match the above, on a per employee basis.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:15 PM

319 posts, read 278,926 times
I didn't like Kentucky at all of course I was doing my BCT at Fort Knox and had drill sergeants in my face all day. 😂

Old 01-13-2018, 06:18 PM

319 posts, read 278,926 times
If you aspire to live in Kentucky then you need to be a master wood worker, get a gig at Louisville Slugger, and make the bat that wins the World Series.

And let's not forget the Wildcats, SEC Bowl Game eligible on the field, skilled on the basketball court, and Lexington with beautiful horse farms.

People are leaving the northeast because taxes are too high and any quality of life that does exist is just take by corrupt politicians.

You also need to have transitional skills, I can make 26.50 an hour wether I work in the city or the country because I a have a skilled trade.

Every state has it's Westchester or Greenwich, here in Virginia Mclean, Charlottesville, Fairfax County in general has it's posh, in my neck of the woods we're agricultural, rural, we have farms, vineyards, corn and soy bean fields, horses.

Northern Virginia is very hustle, very expensive, MS13 gang problems, and folks were starting to move out of there as well due to government downsizing and budget cuts some jobs in that region are not as easy to get anymore.

I'm born and raised 15 minutes from Danbury on the Putnam County New York side, I've spent many weekends and summers in Connecticut, the Danbury Fair, Marcus Dairy, Sherwood Island, Saturday night stock car races, shopping what is now the Danbury Fair Mall, even had some dinners at the Windwill.

I've lived as far west as Longview Washington and in my Army career as far away as Babenhausen Germany, I can tell ya there is no perfect place.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:12 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeytangofoxtrotalpha View Post
Northern Virginia is very hustle, very expensive, MS13 gang problems, and folks were starting to move out of there as well due to government downsizing and budget cuts some jobs in that region are not as easy to get anymore.
NoVa is not that fast paced once you get outside the beltway. Many of the suburbs are quiet, relaxed and still have a bit of southern charm. It also doesn’t take much traveling outside of DC to find affordable housing. You can drive less than 30-40 minutes into NoVa and buy a 3,000 square foot home for the 400s. Also the area is booming and not at all seeing a population decline.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:53 AM

752 posts, read 553,517 times
Quote:

I think I'd rather live by my values and my neighbor accepts it. I don't want my neighbor or community to have input on personal decisions like where I and whether I attend church, who I spend time with, and what race my friends and neighbors are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut