U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 10:16 AM

6 posts, read 4,673 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone that has responded. The answers have been beyond helpful. We are going to open up search to include Greenwich- it sounds like it ticks a lot of our boxes even if our dollar won’t go quite as far there. The main reason we previously had not been considering was some feedback we heard about the schools but sounds like those comments were misinformed. Thank you again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 10:22 AM
Sri

199 posts, read 315,715 times
I would consider Westport as well. Your money goes a bit farther, walkable "downtown", equally good schools/sports, more liberal than surrounding suburbs, and similar commute times into midtown as NC.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:18 PM

1,193 posts, read 944,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle1983 View Post
Thank you everyone that has responded. The answers have been beyond helpful. We are going to open up search to include Greenwich- it sounds like it ticks a lot of our boxes even if our dollar won’t go quite as far there. The main reason we previously had not been considering was some feedback we heard about the schools but sounds like those comments were misinformed. Thank you again!

A couple things to know ... real estate taxes is Greenwich are quite a bit lower than the other towns youre considering ..in part due to the number of corporate headquarters in town... and the fact that well over 3000 ( about 35 % of available students) residing there go to the private schools hence the towns school budgets are lower due to that factor as well .. That alone can translate to lower carrying costs for a home you might purchase..... or conversely allow you to consider the private system for your childs education. The private schools are highly rated and a few are amongst the best day schools in the state... and highly rated in the country. One issue all of them have tho .. is diversity ... and all are trying to remedy that problem ... so that although almost all those schools have waiting lists at this point youre situation might well be of help for matriculation and assistance.

You wont go wrong either system.... but you should be aware of your choices.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:59 PM

14,473 posts, read 17,547,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic1 View Post
A couple things to know ... real estate taxes is Greenwich are quite a bit lower than the other towns youre considering ..in part due to the number of corporate headquarters in town... and the fact that well over 3000 ( about 35 % of available students) residing there go to the private schools hence the towns school budgets are lower due to that factor as well .. That alone can translate to lower carrying costs for a home you might purchase..... or conversely allow you to consider the private system for your childs education. The private schools are highly rated and a few are amongst the best day schools in the state... and highly rated in the country. One issue all of them have tho .. is diversity ... and all are trying to remedy that problem ... so that although almost all those schools have waiting lists at this point youre situation might well be of help for matriculation and assistance.

You wont go wrong either system.... but you should be aware of your choices.
Their taxes are also low due to the sheer staggering total value of residential real estate. Very few towns in the country compare.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:27 PM

8,774 posts, read 14,044,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri View Post
I would consider Westport as well. Your money goes a bit farther, walkable "downtown", equally good schools/sports, more liberal than surrounding suburbs, and similar commute times into midtown as NC.
And I want to note if you consider Westport, don't let the ABC sitcom "American Housewife" (which is set in Westport) cloud your view on it. It is fictional and it is a lot more like the quote above describes than how the show portrays it.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:04 PM

900 posts, read 820,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
My great friend is a realtor in Darien, and I just screenshot your post and sent it to her. Her reply: “omg are you kidding me?!” followed by an ‘angry’ emoji.

So basically, that’s BS.
That means nothing to me. "omg are you kidding me?!" and "" aren't denials of prejudicial and bias-based practices in the Darien area. For all I know she could be mad that she was called out.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:39 PM

253 posts, read 73,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
And I want to note if you consider Westport, don't let the ABC sitcom "American Housewife" (which is set in Westport) cloud your view on it. It is fictional and it is a lot more like the quote above describes than how the show portrays it.
So is HBO's Billions!

Old 01-20-2018, 09:52 PM

24,086 posts, read 39,449,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
That means nothing to me. "omg are you kidding me?!" and "" aren't denials of prejudicial and bias-based practices in the Darien area. For all I know she could be mad that she was called out.

Come on now. You know what they mean. It is highly unlikely that real estate agents are doing what you claim. Besides being illegal, no agent is going to risk their license and commission to steer minorities away from a town. For this to be going on, it would have to be done by literally hundreds of agents that serve these towns. I would suspect your family member had a limited budget and wanted more than they could afford so the agent showed them homes in more affordable towns. Sorry but in Southwest Connecticut money trumps just about everything. Jay

Old 01-21-2018, 12:59 AM

15,570 posts, read 21,645,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post

Or, there’s the possibility that you have no idea what you’re talking about, solely based off of second hand gossip. Move along, now.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:56 PM

900 posts, read 820,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Come on now. You know what they mean. It is highly unlikely that real estate agents are doing what you claim. Besides being illegal, no agent is going to risk their license and commission to steer minorities away from a town. For this to be going on, it would have to be done by literally hundreds of agents that serve these towns. I would suspect your family member had a limited budget and wanted more than they could afford so the agent showed them homes in more affordable towns. Sorry but in Southwest Connecticut money trumps just about everything. Jay
This happened to two people I know and others I've heard of, when thoughts of prosecuting were being thrown around. My family gathered testimonies of others, which is how this all came out. I sure was surprised because who wants to believe race is still a thing in this area? Just providing some examples for the OP to think about. These examples were around 5-6 years ago, so maybe things have changed, but at this point I wouldn't risk being humiliated like that. But rest assured, this was happening somewhat recently and you shouldn't discount people's experiences because you have the privilege not to live them. It's a tad insulting. Again, this was a few years back, so maybe things have changed now.

The family could more than afford the home, husband was a director in finance and the wife was an executive VP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or