Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 09:18 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times

Advertisements

I make my own pico de gallo, and most "american supermarkets" around where I live, don't sell fresh cilantro. I could grow it, but I don't need that much, and a bunch runs only around $1.00. I'm very grateful that the produce store (which is not a supermarket, and which actually specializes in Italian imports), has a lot of hispanic employees who have recommended that cilantro be offered to the customers. It's usually the first fresh herb in their herb section that runs out. And most of the customers are white "americans."

We white folks love our pico!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 10:23 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,843,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I make my own pico de gallo, and most "american supermarkets" around where I live, don't sell fresh cilantro.
Big Y sells fresh cilantro. As do all the chains. I may not understand what you mean by "american supermarkets???

Favorite grocer in Connecticut?

Old 05-29-2010, 11:27 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,506,894 times
Quote:
I make my own pico de gallo, and most "american supermarkets" around where I live, don't sell fresh cilantro. I could grow it, but I don't need that much, and a bunch runs only around $1.00. I'm very grateful that the produce store (which is not a supermarket, and which actually specializes in Italian imports), has a lot of hispanic employees who have recommended that cilantro be offered to the customers. It's usually the first fresh herb in their herb section that runs out. And most of the customers are white "americans."

Do you also fry your own corn tortillas when making tacos? It's simple and much better than the ready stuff.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:07 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
I see cilantro in grocery stores all the time here in Ct., which is in America. I didn't realize cilantro wasn't an American herb.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:52 AM

I was responding to this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnyer View Post
What's wrong with shopping at an American supermarket, last time I looked Connecticut was still in the United States?
When I posted about how "american stores" don't always have what I need.

I was making a point that the big food store chains (which I'm guessing he thinks are "the american supermarkets") don't always have certain ethnic items available. I know some of them have a mexican section, but as another poster said, it's all Old El Paso crap, OR authentic stuff that's WAY overpriced. If you want excellent mexican food ingredients, the best place to get them, is in a store that specializes in mexican groceries. Just like when I want the best asian ingredients, I go to the east-west store.

And no I don't make tacos, so I don't make my own tortillas. When I want edible tacos I go to a taqueria, or I go to Jalapeno Heaven.

Big Y probably does have fresh cilantro, now that you mention it. I don't buy any produce there though, and the last time I went down the aisle where they have fresh herbs, near the tomatoes, all they had was mint, basil, and rosemary. We have a produce store near our Big Y here, so I don't really have any need to buy ANY produce at the supermarket, since I have to go to the produce store every week anyway.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:41 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,843,561 times
Quote:
I When I want edible tacos I go to a taqueria
Never heard of this is before...what is it and where is one?

Old 05-31-2010, 04:27 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte8 View Post
Supermercados Mexicanos...

I was wondering if anyone knew of mexican grocery stores in the New London County area.

Hay una tienda que venda comida mexicana o de latinoamerica en la region de New London. Quiero comprar Manzania/Manzanita y tortillas.

Thanks/Gracias
FYI the TOS says

"English is the only language to be used this board, use translation software if needed."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
Do you also fry your own corn tortillas when making tacos? It's simple and much better than the ready stuff.
I don't for tacos but get corn tortillas to make chips..way way better than the bag crap. I like "soft" tacos anyway.

Quote:

I didn't know Cilantro was a Mexican herb. I guess all those Indian's and Mediterraneans learned how to cook from the mehicahnos. (The Herb originates in the Mediterranean basin.)

I always find fresh cilantro in the store, and if you're getting it for buck, that's a steal. I find it much easier to grow my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
They're around. (Taqueria is a "taco shop" basically - A Mexican = to a burger joint.) I don't bother because my local Mexican place makes them as good or better than any taqueria. I can't remember what part of the state you are in, but just do a search online and you'll find one.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:44 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,805,028 times
Stop and Shop and shop-rite both have fresh cilantro, but they often run out. However neither of those stores sell mexican style chorizo (the greasy uncooked type, not the smoked or dried portuguese type). There are several mexican grocery stores in Bridgeport on main street I think, near fairfield. Also, Aldi's Grocery Stores sells mexican chorizo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post

Old 05-31-2010, 06:09 PM

I know, it's also known as chinese parsley I think..but it isn't a very popular herb here in the burbs. We don't have a single Indian restaurant in the town, and the only mexican restaurant just opened, and offers *ground beef* tacos and no steak tacos and has mostly standard chain-store fare. We don't have a significant indian/pakistani population so really, the majority of people who would be interested in it, are either hispanics who live and work in the area, and people who like to actually make foods containing it. It took years for any of the stores to have naan for sale, and it's rare you will find whole cardamom without paying over $20 for a bottle of crappy McCormack brand that has dust on it because no one is willing to pay that much for something that was packaged in 1983.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:33 AM

3 posts, read 3,250 times
where is willimantic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut