Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 01:50 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Yes, but it is not Greenwich-Darien-New Canaan-Westport expensive. You can still get a modest home in a decent neighborhood in Fairfield for under $300,000. Can't say that for the others. Jay
Eh. My best friend and his fiancée just bought a house in Fairfield (Stratfield). The home was [I think] 379k and will need some work. I can’t imagine what a < 300k house looks like in Fairfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 02:08 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Eh. My best friend and his fiancée just bought a house in Fairfield (Stratfield). The home was [I think] 379k and will need some work. I can’t imagine what a < 300k house looks like in Fairfield.
It will likely look like this:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M40888-72113

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M49609-69271

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M38371-77753

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M40336-06536

These are small, modest capes, colonials or ranches that may need some work but are certainly livable. There are also a number of condos under $300k as well. Jay

Old 02-08-2018, 03:19 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailCT View Post
It will be more affordable to rent just over the NY line in Westchester in a great town called Mamaroneck. It is exit 18 on 95 south. It is about a 15 minute drive south from Stamford. That reverse commute into Stamford can be tough so I would say really about 30 minutes during rush hour etc. I did this and know the area very well.
As someone who reverse commutes up 95 to Stamford I can tell you it's not that bad unless your job starts at 9am, it seems right before 9 it is bad, but if it starts at 8 (or earlier) it's not too bad, especially considering I've seen the westbound traffic on both the Merritt and 95 to Stamford/Greenwich be horrendous even a little past 7am

I concur with Sail on Mamaroneck though, but only to rent (or own a coop apt where property taxes are factored into your monthly maintenance charge and are more reasonable).....property taxes anywhere in Westchester are insane!

Old 02-08-2018, 04:21 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
As someone who reverse commutes up 95 to Stamford I can tell you it's not that bad unless your job starts at 9am, it seems right before 9 it is bad, but if it starts at 8 (or earlier) it's not too bad, especially considering I've seen the westbound traffic on both the Merritt and 95 to Stamford/Greenwich be horrendous even a little past 7am

I concur with Sail on Mamaroneck though, but only to rent (or own a coop apt where property taxes are factored into your monthly maintenance charge and are more reasonable).....property taxes anywhere in Westchester are insane!
If you pay 7k for property tax in CT in Westchester it 14-15k

$583 monthly property tax for CT
$1,116 for Westchester County

Car Insurance is higher in New York State

Old 02-08-2018, 04:58 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,959,891 times
agree with the above - I think maybe renting for a year would be the best option.

Shelton is a good option, and as kidyankee mentioned above, the towns around Danbury are also good options as well.

And, while it will definitely be more expensive, you will end up having more job opportunities in that section of the state in the long run, and you'll also be close to New York and have more job opportunities there as well.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:58 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey196 View Post
I currently live in Eastern CT, near RI. I have a job opportunity in Stamford, which is a great opportunity for my career and will pay approximately $15,000-$20,000 more per year. I would take this opportunity, except when I look at the towns around Stamford they’re all very expensive, and really unaffordable for me.

I’m wondering if anyone here knows of an affordable town with a good school system (I have two small children). It can be in NY or CT. I’m not afraid of a small drive (I currently drive 45 mins to work every day).

Unfortunately being from Eastern CT, I don’t really know any of the towns in the area. My gut is to say no to the job because the pay raise isn’t worth it, but thought I’d check with people who might actually know. Thanks so much.
My husband and I where born and raised in Stamford. We moved to Trumbull to buy a house and commuted for over 10 years until we found jobs in the Trumbull area. It's a very tough commute and most days will take a solid hour at least. We have not done that commute in over 10 years and the traffic is even worse now. If you were working in Stamford the furthest I would move would be Fairfield but that commute is still no picnic. Fairfield is nice town on the water with very good schools.

I took a guess that you lived in Stonington and put Fairfield in this calculator. It says a salary of $80,000 in Stonington, Connecticut should increase to $90,319 in Fairfield, Connecticut.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

If you have the kind of career that could start to make you a lot more than your initial salary increase perhaps it might be worth it.

BTW, this caught my eye because I hope to retire to the shoreline east of New Haven somewhere.

Last edited by Yac; 02-14-2018 at 05:58 AM..

Old 02-08-2018, 05:38 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
My husband and I where born and raised in Stamford. We moved to Trumbull to buy a house and commuted for over 10 years until we found jobs in the Trumbull area. It's a very tough commute and most days will take a solid hour at least. We have not done that commute in over 10 years and the traffic is even worse now. If you were working in Stamford the furthest I would move would be Fairfield but that commute is still no picnic. Fairfield is nice town on the water with very good schools.

I took a guess that you lived in Stonington and put Fairfield in this calculator. It says a salary of $80,000 in Stonington, Connecticut should increase to $90,319 in Fairfield, Connecticut.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

If you have the kind of career that could start to make you a lot more than your initial salary increase perhaps it might be worth it.

BTW, this caught my eye because I hope to retire to the shoreline east of New Haven somewhere.
No North Carolina for retirement ?

Last edited by Yac; 02-14-2018 at 05:57 AM..

Old 02-09-2018, 04:29 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
If you pay 7k for property tax in CT in Westchester it 14-15k

$583 monthly property tax for CT
$1,116 for Westchester County

Car Insurance is higher in New York State
Forgot about car insurance, thanks for noting.....

Old 02-09-2018, 04:33 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Forgot about car insurance, thanks for noting.....
That’s largely dependent on where you live in each state. Someone who lives in Black Rock will undoubtedly pay higher insurance rates than someone in northern Westchester.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:36 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,711 times
Re: car insurance, in this case it's not all driven by where you live within each of the states -- NY is a no fault state and CT is not, no fault premiums are higher by design.

Years ago I transferred my registration from a rural low crime town in downstate NY to a town bordering lovely high crime Waterbury. My insurance rates were cut in half when I did this. I moved further away from Wtby, and they are even lower now - less than half of what my family pays in NY. My insurance and car tax payment, combined, is more than $200/yr less than I would pay in NY for insurance alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut