Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 05:28 AM

118 posts, read 284,946 times

Advertisements

It took me four trips to DMV to registered a snowmobile that was purchased in Maine with a Bill of Sale only. I knew its was possible to register it using the correct forms because I'd already registered other vehicles using the same process. (H-115 Ownership Affidavit and form Q-1 Supplemental Assignment of Ownership).

I went to four different DMVs with the same forms each time. Each time I was given a different reason for the rejection. It was finally granted the registration at the Weatherfield state DMV headquarters.

DMV#1 - "You need to register your snowmobile using the BOAT registration form. get back in line"

DMV#2 - "You need to have a title or certificate of origin" (had just registered a out of state bike with a Certificate of Origin in my hand and the same DMV said they didn't need it and didn't even look at it.

DMV#3 - "You need to provide proof there is no lien on the vehicle" Apparently the signed testimony by the seller on from Q1 saying there is no lien is not enough.

DMV#4 - "Looks like you have all of your paperwork in order. You wouldn't believe the paperwork some people bring in here trying to register a vehicle. Here's your registration. Have a nice day."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 06:00 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,456,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
It can be any bill of sale. I have bought cars from Kansas and Tennessee and had no problem using their bill of sale.
Technically yes but for some reason a number of branches lately insist you have the CT form.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:03 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,456,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Wallace View Post
Well, it sounds is if the OP suffered the typical Kafka-esque experience that is the CT DMV. I have had EXTENSIVE dealings with them since I was a teenager and trust me, they've gotten only worse! I know there was talk at one point of privatizing them, but like everything else concerning the DMV, it was stillborn. I do know that the previous commissioner was basically a fraud, trumping up his resume (Oh, I needed a college degree?) and was ousted. The new one is no better, in my opinion. Seriously, the DMV MUST move to the 21st century.

The online system for renewals is much better. But yeah in general the rest has not been sorted out at all.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:23 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,220 times
I have to rant for a minute about the DMV.. I went today to Bridgeport DMV with my cousin visiting from CA. I arrived at 815 am, and there was already a line snaking out the door all the way to the back of the building. It took me about 20-25 minutes to find a parking spot (I ended up just parking on the grass across the street). I stood in line OUTSIDE until 1015, then once in the lobby, was given a ticket number and went through security where I waited for another hour and 15 minutes. There were people leaving trash along the sidewalk, others cutting in line at the front, some people just walking in, arguments constantly between people waiting in line. Then when I got inside, they ran out of the form I had to fill out and it took 40 freakin' minutes to get another stack of forms. I just got in my car to go home.

It's been years since I have been to the DMV in CT and holy heck, this state runs it so backwards. What a disaster. My cousin from CA was appalled on the insanity.

I knew it was bad, but I didn't know it was THAT inefficient!

Old 03-15-2018, 10:58 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,944,513 times
The Bridgeport DMV is one of the levels of hell. By far the worst DMV branch I have been to.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:03 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
The Bridgeport DMV is one of the levels of hell. By far the worst DMV branch I have been to.
I have a lot of patience for things but this was APPALLING!

Old 03-16-2018, 06:08 PM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
CT DMV sucks big time and all workers have attitude

Old 03-16-2018, 06:19 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
I don't know what's wrong with them but there's no need to treat the public that way.

I think more people need to call their state reps and complain. Maybe something will be done. It used to be horrible like that in MA--big, long lines and when you got to the front, the person would just tell you that you were in the wrong line! You had no idea what line to get into. So you'd get into another line only to be told that you should go back to the first line!

I used to have to take an entire day off from work to deal with that place. Get there early, stay late. People really complained about it and someone who wanted to get elected pledged to do something about it. He did! It got amazingly better. So they do not have to be the way they are. Things have gone downhill again since then but it's still better than CT. They have done such things as put DMV in strip malls where it's more convenient, made them bright and modern, the workers are pleasant to deal with. The squeaky wheel gets the grease--COMPLAIN about it to the wannabe politicians.

Old 03-16-2018, 06:29 PM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I don't know what's wrong with them but there's no need to treat the public that way.

I think more people need to call their state reps and complain. Maybe something will be done. It used to be horrible like that in MA--big, long lines and when you got to the front, the person would just tell you that you were in the wrong line! You had no idea what line to get into. So you'd get into another line only to be told that you should go back to the first line!

I used to have to take an entire day off from work to deal with that place. Get there early, stay late. People really complained about it and someone who wanted to get elected pledged to do something about it. He did! It got amazingly better. So they do not have to be the way they are. Things have gone downhill again since then but it's still better than CT. They have done such things as put DMV in strip malls where it's more convenient, made them bright and modern, the workers are pleasant to deal with. The squeaky wheel gets the grease--COMPLAIN about it to the wannabe politicians.
CT DMV need to clean up it mess also need to be modernized.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:23 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
Went to DMV today not too terrible of an experience. Arrived 15 mins after they opened at 8. Spent about 40 minutes waiting in line outside to get in. Wife couldn't obtain her verified license; we couldn't find the info online what we needed. Ended up going to Triple A that day. Spent about 30 to 40 mins in DMV to obtain driving record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut