Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 09:42 AM

184 posts, read 106,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Trump already announced the end of bump stocks few days ago.
I am pretty sure he just asked that the Justice Department "look into it." If he wanted to do he could do an executive order to ban those sales, and poof, they are gone.

Back to original thread, I read that some teens at a big Texas school were threatened with suspension and the old "this will go on your permanent record" line if they do.

Which made me glad to see that Dartmouth came out to say that "peaceful protest would not jeopardize admission into Dartmouth". I am hoping more colleges and universities say the same, including those in Connecticut, if they have not done already.

It is great to see today's students rallying peacefully on this issue, even if they do not have all the "facts" right "all the time". I hope it continues and I hope it forces politicians to take note.

Of course, being the day and age we live in, they will probably look to strip these kids of their right to vote somehow. Upping the age to 21 or something, instead of facing this issue and making changes.

As for people looking for stats - prior to the Brady Bill that was passed under Regan and then not extended under Bush #2 - how many of these types of mass shootings did we have? The answer I am pretty sure is zero. So that is basically all I need to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 09:55 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Trump already announced the end of bump stocks few days ago.
Sandy Hook, Parkland and most of the shootings DID NOT use bump stocks. It is not enough, the entire gun that can kill 20 to 30 children and adults in minutes needs to be banned. That is what the kids & teens are calling for in their protests and I stand behind them 100%.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:01 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Sandy Hook, Parkland and most of the shootings DID NOT use bump stocks. It is not enough, the entire gun that can kill 20 to 30 children and adults in minutes needs to be banned. That is what the kids & teens are calling for in their protests and I stand behind them 100%.
Thankfully, FL’s governor just proposed to raise the age to purchase, ban bump stocks, and toughen background checks. I haven’t heard anything on mental health yet.

Meanwhile, students in CT are walking out, too.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:19 AM

487 posts, read 536,988 times
Quote:
Yes, and the other poster pointed out that is essentially calling for a ban on 98.9999% of firearms. I do not think a bill of such nature would make it off the floor. But, there are some reasonable steps that can be implemented that hopefully both sides can agree on. Probably make the most sense for a piecewise approach.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:27 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
I could not see the original article but I found this from the NY Times. I has a few CT teen names in it for the posters who could not read the original article either.
https://www.newstimes.com/local/arti...n-12625453.php

Old 02-23-2018, 11:04 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davwve View Post

There have been numerous quotes from teens coming out of the walkouts calling for a ban of all semi-automatics which I do not agree with. I do not believe there are concrete statistics available but general consensus is that the majority of firearm sales in the U.S. are of semi-autos.
They have no idea what they're talking about.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:37 AM

486 posts, read 516,811 times
I don't think raising the age to buy a firearm will stand up in court constitutionally. Its one thing to restrict to certain kinds, but to eliminate entirely is a problem. You cannot strip a constitutional right from only one specific group of citizens, and at 18 they are full fledged citizens of the USA. Its the same argument used in the Civil Rights movement... we were preventing certain classes of citizens from having their consititutional rights.

I think we are better off creating an "Over 21" schedule of firearms. Then anything less than that, like bolt action rifles or shotguns... weapons used for hunting mostly, would still be able to be purchased by adults that are 18, but not yet 21.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:11 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
I could not see the original article but I found this from the NY Times. I has a few CT teen names in it for the posters who could not read the original article either.
https://www.newstimes.com/local/arti...n-12625453.php
Sorry about that. I thought everyone could access it. I cannot find the article on the Courant's website now but I think you found another article on the same thing. Jay

Old 02-23-2018, 01:14 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottamemnon View Post
I don't think raising the age to buy a firearm will stand up in court constitutionally. Its one thing to restrict to certain kinds, but to eliminate entirely is a problem. You cannot strip a constitutional right from only one specific group of citizens, and at 18 they are full fledged citizens of the USA. Its the same argument used in the Civil Rights movement... we were preventing certain classes of citizens from having their consititutional rights.

I think we are better off creating an "Over 21" schedule of firearms. Then anything less than that, like bolt action rifles or shotguns... weapons used for hunting mostly, would still be able to be purchased by adults that are 18, but not yet 21.
Since Govt restricts sales of alcohol until 21 yrs old, I guess lawyers could find the legal argument to restrict gun sales to same age. Dont think it is too much of a stretch.

Btw, I oppose both. From a fairness perspective, if you’re gonna give someone the legal rights of voting at 18 yrs old, you should also enjoy the responsibilities of adults.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:55 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Since Govt restricts sales of alcohol until 21 yrs old, I guess lawyers could find the legal argument to restrict gun sales to same age. Dont think it is too much of a stretch.

Btw, I oppose both. From a fairness perspective, if you’re gonna give someone the legal rights of voting at 18 yrs old, you should also enjoy the responsibilities of adults.
Whoa... did the earth just move? We agree on something! Drinking, voting, going to war, buying guns, etc. The legal age should be uniform, not arbitrary like it is today. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut