Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 09:21 AM

34,700 posts, read 56,496,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Has anyone noticed that on I-91 north before entering Wallingford they have a billboard touting Wallingford's town electric system and how its better with lower prices etc ?
Yes I have seen it. Wallingford is one of the few towns in Connecticut that did not buy into Northeast Utilities (now Eversource) BS that bigger was better so they never sold off their town-owned electric utility system. Their electric service cost is lower than Eversource and their response to outages is better. During several recent big storms where there was wide-spread outages, Wallingford was back up and running within a day or so. Eversource still had towns without power. It is something to boast about so the town has that billboard. There might be another around as well. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 10:02 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,468,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Yes I have seen it. Wallingford is one of the few towns in Connecticut that did not buy into Northeast Utilities (now Eversource) BS that bigger was better so they never sold off their town-owned electric utility system. Their electric service cost is lower than Eversource and their response to outages is better. During several recent big storms where there was wide-spread outages, Wallingford was back up and running within a day or so. Eversource still had towns without power. It is something to boast about so the town has that billboard. There might be another around as well. Jay
It is a really loved item that residents of the town appreciate and tout. Also, North Haven pays us to take their trash that we use for our power production. Wallingford may not have things like trash pickup but the dump is free for most recyclables and you pay per bag for household trash. Otherwise you can get a company like All Waste or Tony's to do a pickup for you for about $25 a month.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:26 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,497,987 times
Quote:
Has anyone noticed that on I-91 north before entering Wallingford they have a billboard touting Wallingford's town electric system and how its better with lower prices etc ?
Eversource and UI cost about 3 times as much for power. That billboard is aimed at large commericial electric users. They would save a fortune in Wallingford over being in a neighboring towns.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:40 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,790,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Eversource and UI cost about 3 times as much for power. That billboard is aimed at large commericial electric users. They would save a fortune in Wallingford over being in a neighboring towns.
I know businesses pay higher electric rates vs residential, but its not any where near 3x what Wallingford would charge. The business rate are here - looks like the highest possible rate is 11.474

https://www.energizect.com/compare-e...-your-business

Old 04-03-2018, 07:17 PM

3,346 posts, read 4,134,723 times
Quote:
They neglect to brag about the endless strip malls leading to a lack of trees and more reliable service. Similar to Milford

Old 04-03-2018, 08:42 PM

21,553 posts, read 27,794,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
They neglect to brag about the endless strip malls leading to a lack of trees and more reliable service. Similar to Milford
Snob alert!

Wallingford has a wide variety of areas, from the dense downtown areas to wooded. Only a small strip is a commercial strip mall area. There’s plenty of trees. Anyone that’s been to Gouveia Vineyards can vouch for that.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:18 AM

Quote:
I know businesses pay higher electric rates vs residential, but its not any where near 3x what Wallingford would charge. The business rate are here - looks like the highest possible rate is 11.474

https://www.energizect.com/compare-e...-your-business
the price benefit is not only in the cost per kWh, but the fees and such associated with the generation. As a resident we pay a flat rate of I believe $15 a month then our kWh rate where a UI/Eversource customer gets hit with fees for transformers, lines, etc. that add up significantly.

Quote:
if your referring to Route 5 which is similar to Milford’s Route 1 then sure but that’s a main drag so I’d expect stores and shopping. Not even a block in and your in full residential areas, closer together in the downtown area but there is A LOT of open space and wooded area as. My home for example sits on a street of 1-2 acre lots, wooded behind all. Plus the town has plenty of green public spaces for picnics and other recreation, wineries, farms, etc. I’d say it’s a lot less dense than Milford.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:29 AM

34,700 posts, read 56,496,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
the price benefit is not only in the cost per kWh, but the fees and such associated with the generation. As a resident we pay a flat rate of I believe $15 a month then our kWh rate where a UI/Eversource customer gets hit with fees for transformers, lines, etc. that add up significantly.

if your referring to Route 5 which is similar to Milford’s Route 1 then sure but that’s a main drag so I’d expect stores and shopping. Not even a block in and your in full residential areas, closer together in the downtown area but there is A LOT of open space and wooded area as. My home for example sits on a street of 1-2 acre lots, wooded behind all. Plus the town has plenty of green public spaces for picnics and other recreation, wineries, farms, etc. I’d say it’s a lot less dense than Milford.
It is obvious he has not been off of Route 5 and seen the rest of Wallingford. Wallingford Center has a number of interesting stores and restaurants as well as being the home of the internationally renowned Choate Rosemary School. In addition to Gouveia Vineyards that Stylo mentions, there is Paradise Hills Winery which is very good. And lets not forget that Wallingford is home to the Oakdale Theater which offers a LOT of wonderful shows and events and has been for decades now. There sure is a lot more to Wallingford than the strip centers on Route 5. Same goes for Milford. Jay

Old 04-04-2018, 09:51 AM

3,346 posts, read 4,134,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It is obvious he has not been off of Route 5 and seen the rest of Wallingford. Wallingford Center has a number of interesting stores and restaurants as well as being the home of the internationally renowned Choate Rosemary School. In addition to Gouveia Vineyards that Stylo mentions, there is Paradise Hills Winery which is very good. And lets not forget that Wallingford is home to the Oakdale Theater which offers a LOT of wonderful shows and events and has been for decades now. There sure is a lot more to Wallingford than the strip centers on Route 5. Same goes for Milford. Jay
Oh please --- my wife is from Milford and the in-laws live in Wallingford. Not on route 5 either. I'm a fan of both towns but that don't fall under the rural moniker with wEindy back country roads. High urban factor (even up by Great River isn't that tree dense).

Old 04-04-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Oh please --- my wife is from Milford and the in-laws live in Wallingford. Not on route 5 either. I'm a fan of both towns but that don't fall under the rural moniker with wEindy back country roads. High urban factor (even up by Great River isn't that tree dense).
If your looking for a more rural then Durham is next door. I don't think anyone ever said Wallingford is rural but it certainly is not a "high urban" factor. Plenty of windy back roads where I live in town and that is near the North Haven side, and compared to where I lived in Milford basically on the water this town definitely has more of a "rural" feel. Again not Durham but it has it's share of spots, don't forget Wallingford is almost 40 square miles so a fair amount larger than Milford with a lower pop. Add in the shoreline of Milford and the business that drives and you have a much more "urban" feel in comparison.

Either way, when looking at outages the bottom line is for OP to take a close look at Wallingford because of what they offer in comparison to the neighboring towns they are looking in. It could offer advantages that results in more home for the money or allowing their dollar to go farther for the same amount of house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut