Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 02:36 PM

360 posts, read 167,557 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Long time lurker here. Just registered. I am hoping to pick the forum's collective brain on an ideal place to live in Connecticut.

About me, late 30's finance and legal professional whose only real exposure to Connecticut has just been Fairfield County and more specifically Stamford where I occasionally go to try cases. Life long NYer who continues to live in Manhattan because of family obligations but not for much longer. But I am tired of the noise, crime, and crowds.

How far out can I move while staying close to the Metro North line?

Ideally, I'd like to find a place that is quiet, relatively rural, and affordable that allows me to build a small fish pond. Gardening and aquaculture are lifelong hobbies of mine that I try to do in the city but am limited because of space concerns. Schools are not an issue with me because I do not have any kids nor do I plan on getting any. My definition of rural is probably what many here would think of as suburban because I grew up in the public housing projects and used to much more noise and bustle. The main goal of coming to Conn is to leave all that behind.

Maybe I am idealistic but have this romanticized view of Connecticut as a place that resembles a Norman Rockwell painting. Of course I know that is not always true having been to New Britain and Hartford for legal bar events but the appeal endures.

Annual salary is around $75k gross. Maybe the same amount of money available for a down payment.
I expect these numbers to increase over the years since I work in a growing area finance area. One additional drawback that some here may find amusing is my lack of experience with driving. I know how to drive but can count the number of times on 1 hand that I have been behind the wheel in the last 10 years b/c driving is not something I am used to coming from Manhattan. To overcome that I've been re-taking driving lessons.

Suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 03:36 PM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Your reasons for leaving New York are the classic reasons that people from there come to Connecticut. Before making such a drastic move you might want to consider renting in say Stamford first to see how you like it. There are many nice complexes there that can give you a taste of what suburban living is like. Jay

Old 04-18-2018, 06:36 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
What are your commute needs? How far from GCT are you willing to go?

Your salary is on the low end for buying single family home property in lower FFC. You may have to go further out.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:53 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingofconn View Post
Hi,

Long time lurker here. Just registered. I am hoping to pick the forum's collective brain on an ideal place to live in Connecticut.

About me, late 30's finance and legal professional whose only real exposure to Connecticut has just been Fairfield County and more specifically Stamford where I occasionally go to try cases. Life long NYer who continues to live in Manhattan because of family obligations but not for much longer. But I am tired of the noise, crime, and crowds.

How far out can I move while staying close to the Metro North line?

Ideally, I'd like to find a place that is quiet, relatively rural, and affordable that allows me to build a small fish pond. Gardening and aquaculture are lifelong hobbies of mine that I try to do in the city but am limited because of space concerns. Schools are not an issue with me because I do not have any kids nor do I plan on getting any. My definition of rural is probably what many here would think of as suburban because I grew up in the public housing projects and used to much more noise and bustle. The main goal of coming to Conn is to leave all that behind.

Maybe I am idealistic but have this romanticized view of Connecticut as a place that resembles a Norman Rockwell painting. Of course I know that is not always true having been to New Britain and Hartford for legal bar events but the appeal endures.

Annual salary is around $75k gross. Maybe the same amount of money available for a down payment.
I expect these numbers to increase over the years since I work in a growing area finance area. One additional drawback that some here may find amusing is my lack of experience with driving. I know how to drive but can count the number of times on 1 hand that I have been behind the wheel in the last 10 years b/c driving is not something I am used to coming from Manhattan. To overcome that I've been re-taking driving lessons.

Suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.
I would live north of the Parkway for the quiet suburban/rural feel you are looking for. You might be able to afford a smaller house in Trumbull, Shelton, Monroe or the northern part of Stratford. The good thing about this area is there are two connectors (the 25 and route 8 connectors) that can get you down to the train in about 20 to 30 minutes depending which town you are in. A $300,000 house with $75,000 down will be about $1600 to $1700 according to the calculators on these houses.

Trumbull, this one looks like a Norman Rockwell house.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...t/pid_23617358

Monroe
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...t/pid_24011871

Shelton, here is one with a picket fence. Shelton is would be the best band for your buck.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...e/pid_18984568

Stratford, below the Parkway but in the north end.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...d/pid_24200454

Old 04-18-2018, 11:45 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Could do New Fairfield and take the Southeast train

Old 04-19-2018, 07:53 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
I would not consider Monroe, New Fairfield, Shelton or Stratford unless you’re okay with a 90+ minute door to door commute.

Parts of Stamford would be rural enough for you, IMO. It may not be as “Norman Rockwell” as other towns, but it’s more spacious and quieter than the city. Down the road, if you can afford more, then start looking at Darien, New Canaan, or Wilton.

Unfortunately, on your salary, the top rated picturesque suburbs might be out of reach unless you’re willing to go far out.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:56 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I would not consider Monroe, New Fairfield, Shelton or Stratford unless you’re okay with a 90+ minute door to door commute.

Parts of Stamford would be rural enough for you, IMO. It may not be as “Norman Rockwell” as other towns, but it’s more spacious and quieter than the city. Down the road, if you can afford more, then start looking at Darien, New Canaan, or Wilton.
Annual salary of 75k won’t go far in Darien or New Cannan homes are going 1.1 million or more. Wilton would work out fine on starter home for 700k

Old 04-19-2018, 07:58 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Annual salary of 75k won’t go far in Darien or New Cannan homes are going 1.1 million or more. Wilton would work out fine on starter home for 700k
A 700k starter home on a 75k salary? Not without a 350k down payment.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:27 AM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
We need to keep in mind that the OP is coming from living in Manhattan their whole life so their perspective on "quiet" may be different than what you and I normally consider quiet.

My sister met a girl from Brooklyn in college whose family thought we lived in the country. We lived in one of the densest parts of Fairfield (Tunxis Hill). Her father (a very well educated doctor) raved about the beauty of a 3 acre swamp next to our home. Because of this I think the OP may be thinking something more along the lines of suburban neighborhoods in Stamford than Backcountry Greenwich.

Living in Stamford would give the OP access to some of mass transit they currently are used to as well as Metro North into Manhattan. By renting they would get a taste for the area without a long term commitment and find out if they are really cut out for a quieter life. They could also scope out the area and hopefully find the "Norman Rockwell" area they desire. Jay

Old 04-19-2018, 08:32 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
A 700k starter home on a 75k salary? Not without a 350k down payment.
I would budget $300k with $75k down at that salary, tops.

So, modest condo in Stamford or Norwalk. Or house in Stratford/Shelton/Milford. Maybe New Fairfield for access to Harlem line.

Compromise on type of home, or long commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut