U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 09:33 AM

6 posts, read 1,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You should not discount the areas east of the university. They are wonderful and to many locals, as good as the university area. They are less crowded and busy and you get a lot more home for your money. Fairfield Woods, Lake Hills, Rock Ridge, Brooklawn and Stratfield have many beautiful homes that are less expensive than Southport and the University areas. People that live there shop and eat and drink on Black Rock Turnpike and commute to Stamford and New York by train out of Fairfield Metro Center so there is little need to fight the traffic traveling to Fairfield Center.

The Beach area is beautiful but IMHO has become over-priced. It probably has become one of the priciest parts of town now given what you get. Paying a premium to live there is not worth it to me but I obviously am in the minority given how homes there are flying off the market as soon as listed. There was a time when that area was considered middle class and a little less desirable due to flooding issues. Walkability to the Post Road and the beach seems to have overcome that though. Jay
Thanks - yes absolutely the Beach area is absurdly and comically overpriced. But does seem to have pockets of charm and family-friendly vibe. Can you tell me a little about Black Rock? There are some available that border on Black Rock and I don't know anything about that other than the mixed reviews people post online. We are first time home owners with a newborn and have only ever lived in high rise apartments so this is why I am fixated on safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 09:35 AM

10,031 posts, read 6,837,833 times
“drink on Black Rock Turnpike“

Old 04-25-2018, 09:38 AM

24,087 posts, read 39,449,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtoFFC4543 View Post
I take it from your username that you live in BlackRock? Can you tell me a little bit more about this area - I feel like people have written conflicting things about this area in terms of safety.
Black Rock is a small urban village in the City of Bridgeport. It has a wide range of housing options from very modest public housing to large mansions overlooking Long Island Sound. The public housing in Black Rock is on the eastern edge of the neighborhood and has been known to have issues. That is why I generally recommend living west of Ellsworth Street. Overall the area is safe but like anywhere (even the suburbs of Fairfield), you have to be a bit careful. Things like locking your car and making sure nothing of value is visible are things you should do anywhere. Be careful walking alone at night, though I know several people who live there and frequent bars and restaurants there and have no concerns walking around there day and night. Jay

Old 04-25-2018, 09:44 AM

614 posts, read 932,594 times
Quote:
Black Rock is a small urban village in the City of Bridgeport. It has a wide range of housing options from very modest public housing to large mansions overlooking Long Island Sound. The public housing in Black Rock is on the eastern edge of the neighborhood and has been known to have issues. That is why I generally recommend living west of Ellsworth Street. Overall the area is safe but like anywhere (even the suburbs of Fairfield), you have to be a bit careful. Things like locking your car and making sure nothing of value is visible are things you should do anywhere. Be careful walking alone at night, though I know several people who live there and frequent bars and restaurants there and have no concerns walking around there day and night. Jay
I would recommend St. Mary's by the Sea/Battery Point area of Black Rock. Absolutely beautiful, with some amazing homes on the water. While your money will definitely go farther in Black Rock with respect to housing pricing, please pay special attention to property taxes as they are fairly high. In addition, public schools are not that great either.

Black Rock definitely has a funky, younger vibe.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Thanks - yes absolutely the Beach area is absurdly and comically overpriced. But does seem to have pockets of charm and family-friendly vibe. Can you tell me a little about Black Rock? There are some available that border on Black Rock and I don't know anything about that other than the mixed reviews people post online. We are first time home owners with a newborn and have only ever lived in high rise apartments so this is why I am fixated on safety.
The section of Fairfield bordering Black Rock is called Grasmere. It is mostly a middle class area though it seems to be getting nicer and more affluent. There are small shops and restaurants along the Post Road. Whole Foods and Home Depot are there and Fairfield Metro Center train station makes it pretty convenient for commuters.

I have good friends that have lived there for 40 years and they like it. They liked living near the shops and restaurants along the Post Road and Fairfield Avenue and have always felt safe. I however did find it to be a bit noisy but that is because they were so close to the Post Road and I-95. Another regular here has family that recently moved to that area so maybe they can offer more then me. Jay

Old 04-25-2018, 05:18 PM

5,446 posts, read 8,050,233 times
Quote:
I would not recommend Black Rock to anybody with kids because of the Bridgeport school system, unless they're planning to enroll their kids in private school anyway.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:24 PM

5,446 posts, read 8,050,233 times
Quote:
You should not discount the areas east of the university. They are wonderful and to many locals, as good as the university area. They are less crowded and busy and you get a lot more home for your money. Fairfield Woods, Lake Hills, Rock Ridge, Brooklawn and Stratfield have many beautiful homes that are less expensive than Southport and the University areas. People that live there shop and eat and drink on Black Rock Turnpike and commute to Stamford and New York by train out of Fairfield Metro Center so there is little need to fight the traffic traveling to Fairfield Center.

The Beach area is beautiful but IMHO has become over-priced. It probably has become one of the priciest parts of town now given what you get. Paying a premium to live there is not worth it to me but I obviously am in the minority given how homes there are flying off the market as soon as listed. There was a time when that area was considered middle class and a little less desirable due to flooding issues. Walkability to the Post Road and the beach seems to have overcome that though. Jay
I definitely second your suggestion to consider neighborhoods in the eastern half of Fairfield. They're less crowded and a better value for the money, and the Fairfield Metro station is a game changer.

When I decided to upgrade my house 15 years ago, I considered Southport, Mill Plain, the University area, the Beach area etc. I found the houses and properties small for the money, and not all the streets are all that nice. I ended up in the Brooklawn section and I love it.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I definitely second your suggestion to consider neighborhoods in the eastern half of Fairfield. They're less crowded and a better value for the money, and the Fairfield Metro station is a game changer.

When I decided to upgrade my house 15 years ago, I considered Southport, Mill Plain, the University area, the Beach area etc. I found the houses and properties small for the money, and not all the streets are all that nice. I ended up in the Brooklawn section and I love it.
I think I have told you before I love your neighborhood. As a kid I would ride my bike around it and admire the homes and architecture. I think I got my eye for design from that. Jay

Old 04-26-2018, 08:36 AM

6 posts, read 1,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post

Thank you for this helpful feedback. What about Tanaka Park?

Old 04-26-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Thank you for this helpful feedback. What about Tanaka Park?
Tanaka Park is considered the University area. It is just east of North Benson Road. It consists of a few streets off Osborne Hill Road and Jennings Road. A nice quiet safe area. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut