U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-24-2018, 08:50 AM
 
6 posts, read 1,161 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi, we are considering moving to the Southport area a little above 95. Is this a good location for a young family (i.e. babies)? The houses seem a little more spread out compared to the areas closer to town and I want to make sure we are still getting a friendly neighborhood feel. I assume all of Southport is safe? Side note question: Is the University area considered safe even though parts of it borders the outskirts of Bridgeport?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-24-2018, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Connecticut
23,445 posts, read 38,565,840 times
Reputation: 6511
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtoFFC4543 View Post
Hi, we are considering moving to the Southport area a little above 95. Is this a good location for a young family (i.e. babies)? The houses seem a little more spread out compared to the areas closer to town and I want to make sure we are still getting a friendly neighborhood feel. I assume all of Southport is safe? Side note question: Is the University area considered safe even though parts of it borders the outskirts of Bridgeport?
All of Southport is safe. The only issues may be with noise closer to I-95 and/or the train tracks but even that can be a personal opinion. It really depends on the street as to how family friendly it is. I know people that live off Mill Hill Terrace and their street is becoming more and more family oriented with young people moving in. A few years back it was mostly older long-time owners whose kids had grown up already. Still it is a beautiful area.

None of the University neighborhood borders Bridgeport. In fact it is a couple of miles away. Between it and the Bridgeport city line are at least two or three neighborhoods (Holland Hill, Tunxis Hill, Fairfield Woods and Stratfield. That said, you should know that some of the nicest and safest parts of Bridgeport border Fairfield so being close to it should not be a problem. In fact I have driven out-of-towners around the area and they commented how lovely Fairfield was however we were in Bridgeport. They were surprised.

One other thing to note is to be careful on what some real estate agents call the University area. I have seen them call streets right off Black Rock Turnpike the University area but you are literally miles from the university. That area is so popular that less scrupulous agents will try to get unknowing people to buy into the area at a premium by claiming it is the University area. I have emailed several agents telling them of their deception but of course they never reply. So you know, nothing east of Lovers Lane/Pemburn Drive should be called the University area. East of those streets is really Holland Hill. Keep that in mind when looking at homes. Good luck, Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2018, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Fairfield, Connecticut
597 posts, read 909,711 times
Reputation: 256
I think Jay has covered Fairfield really well. You can't go wrong with either Southport of University area. Both have a great neighborhood feel and are friendly.

I would also recommend that you check out this page and contact some of the people for additional information: Neighborhood Associations - Town of Fairfield, Connecticut

I am not sure what your budget/needs are, however I would recommend Gould's Manor and Fairfield Beach as some great family oriented neighborhoods.

All the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2018, 05:04 PM
Status: "Having fun one day at a time." (set 16 days ago)
 
4,524 posts, read 7,069,310 times
Reputation: 3702
Southport is very safe, but once in a blue moon stuff happens, especially along Route 1.

The last incident I remember happen last year or maybe the year before, when the Dunkin Donuts across from the Town Fire Tire shop was held up by a group of armed theives from Bridgeport.

Whenever I'm in the area I often stop in that Dunkin Donuts to buy some coffee and I always feel perfectly safe, despite what I know happened there. It truly was a once in a blue moon incident, but just be aware that even in areas that are 99% safe still have that 1%.

I can't say if there have been any incidents concerning theft in peoples homes or vehicle theft.


Very near there, on the Westport side of the border, is the Mercury gas station. It's the cheapest gas around. That's one other thing I never miss to buy when I'm in the area and have at least half a tank left of gasoline. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2018, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
14,041 posts, read 16,999,718 times
Reputation: 3180
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Southport is very safe, but once in a blue moon stuff happens, especially along Route 1.

The last incident I remember happen last year or maybe the year before, when the Dunkin Donuts across from the Town Fire Tire shop was held up by a group of armed theives from Bridgeport.

Whenever I'm in the area I often stop in that Dunkin Donuts to buy some coffee and I always feel perfectly safe, despite what I know happened there. It truly was a once in a blue moon incident, but just be aware that even in areas that are 99% safe still have that 1%.

I can't say if there have been any incidents concerning theft in peoples homes or vehicle theft.


Very near there, on the Westport side of the border, is the Mercury gas station. It's the cheapest gas around. That's one other thing I never miss to buy when I'm in the area and have at least half a tank left of gasoline. LOL
I’m not sure how that extremely rare hold up affects Southport residents at all. It’s not like they’re working there. It’s one of the safest communities in the state. 1% would be an exaggeration. Maybe .001%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2018, 10:31 PM
 
8 posts, read 4,797 times
Reputation: 18
Safety is not a concern. You will see how absurd that question is if you move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2018, 05:38 AM
 
6 posts, read 1,161 times
Reputation: 10
to which neighborhood - both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2018, 06:14 AM
 
6 posts, read 1,161 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
All of Southport is safe. The only issues may be with noise closer to I-95 and/or the train tracks but even that can be a personal opinion. It really depends on the street as to how family friendly it is. I know people that live off Mill Hill Terrace and their street is becoming more and more family oriented with young people moving in. A few years back it was mostly older long-time owners whose kids had grown up already. Still it is a beautiful area.

None of the University neighborhood borders Bridgeport. In fact it is a couple of miles away. Between it and the Bridgeport city line are at least two or three neighborhoods (Holland Hill, Tunxis Hill, Fairfield Woods and Stratfield. That said, you should know that some of the nicest and safest parts of Bridgeport border Fairfield so being close to it should not be a problem. In fact I have driven out-of-towners around the area and they commented how lovely Fairfield was however we were in Bridgeport. They were surprised.

One other thing to note is to be careful on what some real estate agents call the University area. I have seen them call streets right off Black Rock Turnpike the University area but you are literally miles from the university. That area is so popular that less scrupulous agents will try to get unknowing people to buy into the area at a premium by claiming it is the University area. I have emailed several agents telling them of their deception but of course they never reply. So you know, nothing east of Lovers Lane/Pemburn Drive should be called the University area. East of those streets is really Holland Hill. Keep that in mind when looking at homes. Good luck, Jay
Thanks so much for this thoughtful reply! We will be new to the area and it's hard to get a feel for the area without living there. I was assuming that anything east of the University was "near Bridgeport" and therefore a maybe a little less safe but that doesn't seem to be the case... My naïveté is showing. Just driving through there seems to be a ton of families. Right now it looks like we are deciding between the University area and this Southport neighborhood. The beach area is also very family friendly but there is not a lot available. Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2018, 08:04 AM
 
Location: Connecticut
23,445 posts, read 38,565,840 times
Reputation: 6511
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtoFFC4543 View Post
Thanks so much for this thoughtful reply! We will be new to the area and it's hard to get a feel for the area without living there. I was assuming that anything east of the University was "near Bridgeport" and therefore a maybe a little less safe but that doesn't seem to be the case... My naïveté is showing. Just driving through there seems to be a ton of families. Right now it looks like we are deciding between the University area and this Southport neighborhood. The beach area is also very family friendly but there is not a lot available. Thank you for your help!
You should not discount the areas east of the university. They are wonderful and to many locals, as good as the university area. They are less crowded and busy and you get a lot more home for your money. Fairfield Woods, Lake Hills, Rock Ridge, Brooklawn and Stratfield have many beautiful homes that are less expensive than Southport and the University areas. People that live there shop and eat and drink on Black Rock Turnpike and commute to Stamford and New York by train out of Fairfield Metro Center so there is little need to fight the traffic traveling to Fairfield Center.

The Beach area is beautiful but IMHO has become over-priced. It probably has become one of the priciest parts of town now given what you get. Paying a premium to live there is not worth it to me but I obviously am in the minority given how homes there are flying off the market as soon as listed. There was a time when that area was considered middle class and a little less desirable due to flooding issues. Walkability to the Post Road and the beach seems to have overcome that though. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2018, 09:13 AM
 
6 posts, read 1,161 times
Reputation: 10
I take it from your username that you live in BlackRock? Can you tell me a little bit more about this area - I feel like people have written conflicting things about this area in terms of safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top