Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2018, 05:05 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
Again, that's a statistical area.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...C_Feb_2013.gif

on this *very* large map you can clearly see that none of CT is in the NYC Core area...

FFC is it's own BPT metro area...
There are smaller metro areas within larger metro area. The official NYC metro area name is literally “New York–Newark–Bridgeport, NY, NJ, CT, PA”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 05:22 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
There are smaller metro areas within larger metro area. The official NYC metro area name is literally “New York–Newark–Bridgeport, NY, NJ, CT, PA”
Yep.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:26 PM

982 posts, read 599,030 times
You're implying that CSAs in inside of Metro Areas. It's the other way around.

A combined statistical area (CSA) is composed of adjacent metropolitan (MSA) and micropolitan statistical areas (µSA) in the United States and Puerto Rico that can demonstrate economic or social linkage

- Straight from Wikipedia.

Metro areas are in CSAs, NOT the other way around.

In common usage, most people are thinking of the CSA when they think of the "metro area."

Anyway, I think this has deviated from the purpose of the thread (regions of CT).

Let's return to that.
What do you think of my line for Panhandle CT/ Lower FFC?

Old 06-06-2018, 05:52 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post

Let's return to that.
What do you think of my line for Panhandle CT/ Lower FFC?
I am originally from the "panhandle" city of Stamford and I like the analogy.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:58 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
It's definitely not accurate at all. For my town, it doesn't show a single person working in NYC, or even White Plains for that matter. I simply know that is not true -- so many people in NF commute daily to White Plains. I'd say if it's not the number one commuting location, White Plains is pretty close to the top.

Same for Danbury -- not a single person works in Manhattan according to CERC; not a single person works in White Plains either. For Ridgefield, only 212 work in Manhattan, and zero in White Plains???
I heard back from CERC and they say that all of their data is updated and based on data obtained from the US Census. Their 2018 profiles identify the top TOWNS that residents commute to so while say Danbury may have a number of residents have jobs in New York State, there are not enough going to one town to be listed in the top job locations. I questioned this but they stand by their data. Jay

Old 06-06-2018, 09:07 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I heard back from CERC and they say that all of their data is updated and based on data obtained from the US Census. Their 2018 profiles identify the top TOWNS that residents commute to so while say Danbury may have a number of residents have jobs in New York State, there are not enough going to one town to be listed in the top job locations. I questioned this but they stand by their data. Jay

That seems strange -- if you take a look at the link to the old CERC profiles (2001) that I posted above, you can see that a significant number commute to NY. (I think my town showed almost 1,500 commuters to NY; 2,200 commuters to Danbury, and the 200 range for commuters to places such as Norwalk, Ridgefield, etc.) Another thing that I find strange is that the last census (2010) was a short form, 10 question census that did not ask a single question about where you work, what your household income is, etc. -- If I recall correctly, all of the questions were pretty much race focused and and asked about the number of people who live in your house and what their race was. The last in-depth census was 2000, which would make sense why that info. was available to CERC in 2001. At this point though, it's 18 year old stale data, which may be why CERC's profiles do not seem accurate and appear to be incomplete for many towns.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:21 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
That seems strange -- if you take a look at the link to the old CERC profiles (2001) that I posted above, you can see that a significant number commute to NY. (I think my town showed almost 1,500 commuters to NY; 2,200 commuters to Danbury, and the 200 range for commuters to places such as Norwalk, Ridgefield, etc.) Another thing that I find strange is that the last census (2010) was a short form, 10 question census that did not ask a single question about where you work, what your household income is, etc. -- If I recall correctly, all of the questions were pretty much race focused and and asked about the number of people who live in your house and what their race was. The last in-depth census was 2000, which would make sense why that info. was available to CERC in 2001. At this point though, it's 18 year old stale data, which may be why CERC's profiles do not seem accurate and appear to be incomplete for many towns.
I believe that the reference (New York) in their older reports were for New York STATE and not the city or an individual town or city. The US Census uses other sources of data, like tax returns and corporate records to compile updated information that was not on their last census. That was why they did not need to do an in-depth survey in 2010. I too find it suspicious that there are not higher numbers for say White Plains or Manhattan in some towns like Danbury, New Fairfield and Ridgefield but again, CERC stands by their numbers. Jay

Old 06-06-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Awesome.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:28 AM

Okay, here is my first draft of the map.
https://i.imgur.com/5EL4IFl.png

I'm open to criticism, and the one part I'd like most help with is what to do with the Naugatuck Valley (Controversial I know).

Shelton is undoubtedly in South Central CT, but Waterbury definitely isn't. Am I forced to cut it in half for the mega-regions?

Let's all try to stay level headed...

Old 06-06-2018, 10:04 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

Does "panhandle" in that part of lower Fairfield County mean you carry a cardboard sign saying "Will work for caviar"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut