Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2018, 12:27 PM

21,536 posts, read 27,777,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Yes, the New Haven number surprised me too, and for the same reason (more to NH than to WP?...). I do think there are some kinks to be worked out on some of the town profiles before the data is at a point where it can be relied upon.
P.S. no way 1/2 of Danbury workers commute to the city -- not even close lol. On another note, I was surprised by how few from Ridgefield supposedly do -- 212 seems awfully low IMO...
That does seem low. I found numbers for Milford at about 200. Also seems low just based on the fact I see at least 100 people take each train to the city every day at rush hour. And that’s just one train. Yes some are leisure or meetings or from neighboring towns but I’d wager easily 500-1000 get on trains at rush for GCT.

Of course, the plural of anecdote isn’t data

Also, it’s interesting to see commuting patterns like this that don’t always make sense. I know there are many factors involved, but a White Plains commute from Danbury is much easier than Stamford. Yet 3x more Stamford commuters. Perhaps in the digital age people will become more savvy about their location in relation to their commute needs.

It can actually benefit traffic. Why have a car commute to Stamford when you can be on the NH train line? Or in the case of White Plains, some cities might be closer, but Danbury can be faster due to lack of traffic.

Last edited by Stylo; 06-08-2018 at 12:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 12:58 PM

223 posts, read 170,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
In my view, having been a resident of New Haven County, New London County, and Windham County, the cultural lines in FFC are important because they distinguish where NYC influence is strongest vs New England. You will find towns in FFC that have all the quaint trappings of their colonial history and yet are populated to a large extent by people who spend the majority of their time in NYC. To some of those folks, Connecticut is just a place where they sleep and their kids go to school. When you get further away from NY, attitudes and dispositions are more relaxed, and people associate more with the traditions/customs of New England.
True- many have said that NY's ends in New Haven. Of course, it's a gradual line. Overall I'm sticking with my original map of CT's cultural regions, lol.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:09 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,937,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
In my view, having been a resident of New Haven County, New London County, and Windham County, the cultural lines in FFC are important because they distinguish where NYC influence is strongest vs New England. You will find towns in FFC that have all the quaint trappings of their colonial history and yet are populated to a large extent by people who spend the majority of their time in NYC. To some of those folks, Connecticut is just a place where they sleep and their kids go to school. When you get further away from NY, attitudes and dispositions are more relaxed, and people associate more with the traditions/customs of New England.
This is spot on. As a New Englander (from Cambridge MA), that NYC influence definitely extends to Fairfield. I could care less whether Fairfield qualifies as "Gold Coast" or not. Without boasting or disclosing my financial profile, I could be living in any town in Fairfield County, however chose Fairfield for the following reasons:

1. Beaches and Train Access
2. Small town vibe
3. Better value for the money in terms of housing

The attitudes and dispositions do get better as you move further away from NYC -- that City's quality of life is terrible and its reflected in the people living or moving from there.

Old 06-08-2018, 03:06 PM

953 posts, read 583,547 times
I never denied the NY influence...

All I was saying is that Fairfield is a not the wicked elite thing it's hyped up to be.

Also agree that it's totally worth it to live here

Old 06-08-2018, 03:13 PM

21,536 posts, read 27,777,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post

All I was saying is that Fairfield is a not the wicked elite thing it's hyped up to be.

I don’t think anyone would say it’s strictly elite. It is rather affluent overall though. And price of entry is still high. Just as expensive as Wilton, if not more in parts.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:16 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,937,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post

I am not sure what is your point then? I am not trying to be rude here -- genuinely wondering what sort of viewpoint you are forwarding about Fairfield. It's a great town with some amazing amenities.

"Wicked elite" is in the minds and perceptions of people. Besides my day job, I am also a real estate investor, so I know and see the housing values in the towns. I can find plenty of houses (all may need rehab) in the $500K-$1M range in towns like Greenwich, Darien, Westport, Wilton and New Canaan. I actually like people who operate under these false illusions of "elite" -- they are the ones paying inflated prices for otherwise ordinary homes.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:14 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,206,348 times
I don’t get why this thread has to be so controversial.. “Gold Coast” is such an antiquated term, and I’m thinking after reading this thread in its entirety for almost a week now, “Gold Coast” no longer means what it “historically” meant, nor can it be quantified. Yes... you have some UBER wealthy towns that compete with, or “beat” most towns as far as wealth in the entire Country, along the 95 corridor on coastal Connecticut. But you also have some hard core New England Sad Cities dotted along that same coastline too, and that divides people...
Seriously, who cares??
If you live in a place that you don’t hate, and aren’t regularly willing to give up your right eye up to get out of, then who really cares in the end?
i think this whole thing may be important to people who may have other insecurities going on.
Yes it’s good talk and conversation to have re: where the NYC influence “might” end. We can all relate to that... but NYC “influence” and “wealth” are not mutually exclusive . I can personally vouch.., . (And as someone who actually grew up in NYC in 1970s and 1980s, CT always seemed to be the better option.... That’s why we’re here. Lol. Let’s not ever diminish what we have or what we have been blessed with...)

And newsflash, almost *all*?of NYC doesn’t even know about any us, nor ever heard of our “towns “so in the end it really doesn’t matter, and it kind of seems silly.

Yes, CT for the most part is a nice state, and I’m very hopeful it will get even better soon, back to what it was. T -minus 5 months and counting...

Last edited by Lalalally; 06-08-2018 at 07:44 PM..

Old 06-08-2018, 09:48 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,173,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
The attitudes and dispositions do get better as you move further away from NYC -- that City's quality of life is terrible and its reflected in the people living or moving from there.
That depends on what you like or dislike. For many City's QOL is much better than any hick town in CT, including, but not limited to Greenwich, Darien or Westport. I bet you $ 10,000 (Mitt Romney money) that there are a lot more people who prefer to live in NYC for QOL than anywhere in CT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
This is spot on. As a New Englander (from Cambridge MA), that NYC influence definitely extends to Fairfield. I could care less whether Fairfield qualifies as "Gold Coast" or not. Without boasting or disclosing my financial profile, I could be living in any town in Fairfield County, however chose Fairfield for the following reasons:

1. Beaches and Train Access
2. Small town vibe
3. Better value for the money in terms of housing

I think white bread suburban preppy little boys, turned Wall Street migrants incoming into CT have more a NY-pretend attitude than us native NYers.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:51 PM

4,392 posts, read 3,277,276 times
I know we have been talking a lot about the Fairfield County coastal area but I would like to hear from the posters who live in and near the "quiet coastline" from Branford to the Mystic area.

Even though I have not seen all of the coastline east of New Haven I like the area better than FFC's coastline areas. I was wondering what others thoughts were on this.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:56 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,163,724 times
Love the shoreline area. So much calmer especially past Guilford. We are thinking of heading that way after kids are out of school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut