U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 08:08 PM

1,572 posts, read 1,384,216 times

Advertisements

...and Norwich is getting by with the short season A league (New York-Penn) in a former AA-level stadium. I actually don't mind Dodd Stadium. It's just a b---- getting to it while winding through an industrial park.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 08:18 PM

33,031 posts, read 52,287,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN_224 View Post
...and Norwich is getting by with the short season A league (New York-Penn) in a former AA-level stadium. I actually don't mind Dodd Stadium. It's just a b---- getting to it while winding through an industrial park.
I agree. Whose idea was it to build a stadium for several thousand people in the middle of a large industrial park on top of a small mountain far from a major highway? Got to be the oddest location I have ever seen. Jay

Old 05-09-2019, 10:48 PM

154 posts, read 66,879 times
Dodd Stadium is a joke and a horrible stadium. The sun blinds most of the fans. Location killed any long term success and future. When the Yankees left they were screwed.
If a new stadium was built in New Haven, I would not be surprised to possibly see the NY Yankees move affiliation from Trenton NJ. Hartford shows that if you build a nice stadium, people will come. Connecticut can support more than one Double A level team. Minor league baseball is a big and booming business. It is more affordable and easier for families and corporate sponsors to support.
Worcester Mass is going to have great success when they finish building that stadium for the Red Sox Triple A team. Providence, RI wouldn't make the right deal so the ownership moved to Mass.
Teams move a lot in the minors. Major league team does matter locally. It is sad that there was a time we had both Yankees and Red Sox Double A teams in our state. Poor stadiums and locations gave them the chance to move on for a better deal.
Hartford Yard Goats and Dunkin Donuts Park is going to really get some big money investors thinking about doing that same model in New Haven. All they need to do is find the right deal from the city and build.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:54 AM

9,201 posts, read 6,261,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Whose idea was it to build a stadium for several thousand people in the middle of a large industrial park on top of a small mountain far from a major highway? Got to be the oddest location I have ever seen. Jay
Probably because it was relatively "cheap" land and available at the time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazbme99 View Post
Connecticut can support more than one Double A level team.
They had 3 Double A teams from 1995 to 2003 and at least 2 Double teams from 1994 to 2009.

New Haven Ravens (1994–2003)
Norwich Navigators (1995-2009)
New Britain Red Sox/Rock Cats (1983–2015)

I thought the 3 teams played for something called the Connecticut Cup back then, maybe I'm mistaken. Yale Field was definitely not up to MiLB standards and was never going to be a long term solution, especially for a AA team, maybe not even a short-season NYPenn League team.

I remember going to the AA All-Star Game at Yale Field in 1998, I got Gabe Kapler's autograph, among others, he was playing for the Jacksonville Suns at the time.

When the Yankees moved their AA affiliation from Norwich to Trenton in 2003, I knew that Norwich's days were numbered in the Eastern League, although they did hang in there for another 7 years before moving to Richmond.

It makes you wonder in Richmond did build a new AAA stadium for the Braves (they're still trying to build a new stadium to replace The Diamond today), back in the day, and stayed there, would Norwich's AA team have stayed in CT or moved elsewhere in the northeast?

The "dominoes" of minor league baseball relocation are fascinating, like will a NYPenn League team (maybe Auburn or Batavia) relocate to McCoy Stadium in Pawtucket in 2021.

I was thinking of all the affiliated minor league teams in the Northeast I once saw back in the late 90's that no longer exist:

St. Catherine's Stompers
Jamestown Jammers
Watertown Indians
Pittsfield Mets
Utica Blue Sox
New Jersey Cardinals
Oneota Yankees
New Britain Rock Cats
Norwich Navigators
New Haven Ravens

Last edited by cjseliga; 05-10-2019 at 02:11 AM..

Old 05-10-2019, 06:17 AM

1,572 posts, read 1,384,216 times
Pittsfield, MA has the Suns, which is part of a small collegiate league which the Bristol Blues are a part of. It took me 25 years to get back to Waconah Park last June. The place is old and dumpy. They built it wrong to where there's a nearly guaranteed sun delay for a time during the game. It's part of why they're called the Suns.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:55 PM

7,906 posts, read 3,755,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN_224 View Post
Pittsfield, MA has the Suns, which is part of a small collegiate league which the Bristol Blues are a part of. It took me 25 years to get back to Waconah Park last June. The place is old and dumpy. They built it wrong to where there's a nearly guaranteed sun delay for a time during the game. It's part of why they're called the Suns.

Waconah is still a great park to visit for a perspective on the history of baseball. Reminded me very much of Doubleday Field in Cooperstown.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:10 PM

7,906 posts, read 3,755,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazbme99 View Post
Worcester Mass is going to have great success when they finish building that stadium for the Red Sox Triple A team. Providence, RI wouldn't make the right deal so the ownership moved to Mass.

I don't think the Worcester team will do as well as the Pawsox did in their best years (averaged mid 9,000 range in the mid to late 2000's). It will be initially popular with a new stadium and team. I suspect the numbers will then begin to fade off. Metro Worcester is half the size of Metro Providence (1.6M) with little population density outside the city limits. The lack of any local tv stations to show highlights and keep the team in the public eye will hurt. Worcester has already lost two AHL teams for poor support between 2005 and 2015. They will have to build a new fan base that very much draws from the Boston suburbs, areas which traditionally strongly gravitate east toward the Hub and not west toward Worcester. Rhode Islanders do not like the Lucchino ownership group and are not happy about the loss and will not be inclined to follow the team to Worcester in big numbers. Furthermore, people from RI are notorious for not driving too far and few of them have any ties to or knowledge of the Worcester area. Given most minor league fans come from within about a 30 minute drive, Worcester may have some issues.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:39 PM

1,348 posts, read 812,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I don't think the Worcester team will do as well as the Pawsox did in their best years (averaged mid 9,000 range in the mid to late 2000's). It will be initially popular with a new stadium and team. I suspect the numbers will then begin to fade off. Metro Worcester is half the size of Metro Providence (1.6M) with little population density outside the city limits. The lack of any local tv stations to show highlights and keep the team in the public eye will hurt. Worcester has already lost two AHL teams for poor support between 2005 and 2015. They will have to build a new fan base that very much draws from the Boston suburbs, areas which traditionally strongly gravitate east toward the Hub and not west toward Worcester. Rhode Islanders do not like the Lucchino ownership group and are not happy about the loss and will not be inclined to follow the team to Worcester in big numbers. Furthermore, people from RI are notorious for not driving too far and few of them have any ties to or knowledge of the Worcester area. Given most minor league fans come from within about a 30 minute drive, Worcester may have some issues.
Almost wonder if Springfield would have been a better choice.

Old 05-10-2019, 02:45 PM

33,031 posts, read 52,287,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
Almost wonder if Springfield would have been a better choice.
I agree. Remember that the New Britain Rock Cats we’re considering Springfield until Hartford stepped up. It looks to be a good decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I do wonder if you are correct. Most of Worcester’s more dense suburbs are east of the city and are distant suburbs of Boston. People may question why go to Worcester when the Red Sox’s are a short ride away. Makes sense. Jay

Old 05-10-2019, 02:53 PM

154 posts, read 66,879 times
New Haven will be a very attractive spot for a new team and ballpark. The city is rebuilding and could use a new attraction to draw people downtown. Yale Field was not modern but it was a cool historic park. The Ravens had several successful seasons. The location was bad and ballpark outdated. I think New Haven is very viable now especially since Bridgeport lost the Bluefish team and destroyed that stadium. A real winner would be if it was possible to lure the Yankees Double A team.
Worcester will be fine. They are a rebuilding city. A new state of the art stadium will be the draw. More people follow baseball than hockey. Boston Red Sox fans are fanatics. Pawtucket was a dump and they had a horrible owner for decades. The new ownership tried to get a deal done but Providence was not on board. Worcester saw a chance to get a team. They will sell out games no problem.Baseball season is when people want to go out and do activities. Minor League baseball is a great attraction for families. Hartford is a great example of what a ballpark can do for a city. Hartford next needs to build a new arena/ civic center. No half ass renovation of the XL Center. If you are going to spend taxpayers money do it the right way. We waste billions of dollars every year in this state. The sanctuary cities are a huge drain on the state. A new downtown arena would be nice for UCONN games plus concerts. Also the fantasy of one day getting a major league team back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut