Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 07:10 PM

30 posts, read 23,132 times

Advertisements

I live on Long Island and am looking to find my forever home in my retirement. Am considering Coo
nnecticut, would like to be close to the shore, and need a community where I would feel comfortable. I identify as Jewish but am not very religious. Any suggestions on where to start my search?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2020, 07:34 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
A lot depends on what your budget is, what you expect for that budget and the type of community (urban, suburban or rural) that you like. Without this it’s hard to make definitive recommendations.

The first place that came to my mind was Old Saybrook. It’s a beautiful beach town at the mouth of the Connecticut River. The town has a lot of retirees that live there year round. The town has most of the essentials but is small and quite during the off season. It is where Katherine Hepburn lived and retired to. The town has a nice community theater named after her, The Kate.

Nearby are the beautiful lower Connecticut River towns of Haddam, East Haddam, Chester, Deep River, Essex and Lyme. They are picturesque small historic towns that are nice to live in.

If Old Saybrook and the Valley browns are too small, you might consider one of the beautiful towns east of New Haven. Branford, Guilford and Madison are wonderful places to retire to. I’m sure that a regular here, CTartist will be commenting on this. Her and her husband are planning to retire there in the future.

If you want rural, you might consider beautiful Litchfield County. Towns like New Milford, Litchfield, Roxbury, Bridgewater, Sharon, among many others are stunning and might be to your liking. Like I said, we need to know more to narrow it down. Jay

Old 06-12-2020, 07:54 PM

30 posts, read 23,132 times
Thanks JayCT, this is all very helpful. I'm looking to spend $6-800,000, want to be near the water, don't want to do any renovations so everything would need to be pretty much updated or new. I'm thinking in terms of a small house or maybe a townhouse where I can have my privacy, quiet and my pets (probably will be getting a dog). I'd consider rural or suburban...and would like to be able to walk to stores. I'll start with looking into Old Saybrook...thanks, I just discovered this Forum.....

Old 06-12-2020, 09:41 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,396 times
I had relatives who lived in Old Saybrook for over 20 years and loved it. There is an independent grocery store in town Walt’s Market in the small walkable downtown area. For a larger store there is a Shop-Rite in Clinton. Saybrook Point, a beach area, is beautiful. I don’t know about parks in town. Good luck.

Old 06-12-2020, 11:26 PM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Branford (particularly near Stony Creek), Guilford, Madison, Clinton, Westbrook, Old Saybrook, East Lyme, Old Lyme, Mystic/Stonington are all worth a look. The coast east of New Haven is what you’re looking for.

If you wanted something with a bit more to do, more stores/restaurants, you could look on the other side of New Haven. In/around downtown Milford, Gulf Street area, Walnut Beach, Woodmont would be great. Very walkable. See this for more info. Fairfield is nice too, but definitely the priciest.

Last edited by Stylo; 06-13-2020 at 08:06 AM..

Old 06-13-2020, 06:04 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSeeker44 View Post
Thanks JayCT, this is all very helpful. I'm looking to spend $6-800,000, want to be near the water, don't want to do any renovations so everything would need to be pretty much updated or new. I'm thinking in terms of a small house or maybe a townhouse where I can have my privacy, quiet and my pets (probably will be getting a dog). I'd consider rural or suburban...and would like to be able to walk to stores. I'll start with looking into Old Saybrook...thanks, I just discovered this Forum.....
Look at this section of Fairfield south of Route 1 (the Post Road). It's close to shopping on Route 1, the beaches and the train if you wanted to get into NYC. Fairfied is a great town.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fairfield.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	221210

Here are some houses in that area in your budget.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...r/pid_36103199
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...d/pid_30807459
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...t/pid_35923094

Look at this thread. Every year a poster on City-Data has a CT town contest and Fairfield won this year.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/conn...2020-a-75.html

I wanted to move to the area I noted in between the beaches and Route 1 in Fairfield but I couldn't afford it so I ended up in Trumbull. But you can afford it!

Old 06-13-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
I had relatives who lived in Old Saybrook for over 20 years and loved it. There is an independent grocery store in town Walt’s Market in the small walkable downtown area. For a larger store there is a Shop-Rite in Clinton. Saybrook Point, a beach area, is beautiful. I don’t know about parks in town. Good luck.
Old Saybrook also has a large Stop & Shop Supermarket in the Old Saybrook Shopping Center on Elm Street. No need to go to Clinton. Jay

Old 06-13-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSeeker44 View Post
How close to New York do you want to be? What do you need and/or expect for that budget? With that budget you could pretty much get a nice house from Fairfield east and inland. Generally the further from New York the more you get for your money. $600,000 in Fairfield gets you a nice but somewhat modest home. Go inland to Easton or Trumbull or up the coast to Milford and you get a little more. Go to the shoreline east of New Haven and you will get a real nice house. It’s all a matter of what you want and how far out from New York and/or major employment centers like Stamford, Bridgeport or New Haven. Jay

Old 06-13-2020, 10:53 AM

260 posts, read 154,410 times
Smile Welcome

I have lived in Connecticut all of my life and was actually considering moving to a different state for retirement. However, I do find I like Connecticut and the familiarity with the place. I live in a suburban area but with a country feel. There are deer, foxes, turkeys, skunks, and many more animals near the woods where I live.

I am sure you will end up finding a beautiful area near the water within your budget. I can't offer much with that though as it is way over my budget. Connecticut has a lot of beautiful areas. Just stay out of the high city crime areas like Hartford, New Haven, and parts of Bridgeport and you should be fine. It is becoming more likely that I will stay here in Connecticut also. Good luck in your search.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:14 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
There is another area in Madison that would be good too. Just south of Route 1 (Post Road) also. This area is really nice also. I can't afford south of Route 1 in Madison but just north of Route 1 is on my list for retirement also. Madison probably has the best senior property relief in the state too.

Here are some properties in your price range.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...4/pid_36169402
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...e/pid_35792190

This townhome in Madison might be just the lifestyle you are looking for. You need to go and see where is is located to know what I mean.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-24075#photo24

I forgot to mention my husband retires in a few months and we want to retire east of New Haven in either Branford. Guilford or Madison (I am younger and have about 6 more years to work). Keep this in mind that once you go further east you are getting away from the excellent healthcare at Yale New Haven Hospital. I have met older seniors who tell me I should have not bought a property so far from New Haven/Yale.

Are you going to be in CT 6 months and down south 6 months? We call them snowbirds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut