Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 07:27 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times

Advertisements

CT not only has the wealthiest metro, or most power couples, but now a new study says CT is home to the most psychopaths in the country. CA is a close second.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost....e-country/amp/

“The Nutmeg State has the highest percentage of people with psychopathic personality traits, including disinhibition, boldness and meanness, according to a study by Dr. Ryan Murphy at Southern Methodist University in Texas.

And the Northeast had more psychos than the rest of the country, according to the study, with New Jersey ranking in third, New York fourth”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 08:38 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
CT not only has the wealthiest metro, or most power couples, but now a new study says CT is home to the most psychopaths in the country. CA is a close second.

“The Nutmeg State has the highest percentage of people with psychopathic personality traits, including disinhibition, boldness and meanness, according to a study by Dr. Ryan Murphy at Southern Methodist University in Texas.

And the Northeast had more psychos than the rest of the country, according to the study, with New Jersey ranking in third, New York fourth”
I saw that put didn't want to be the one to post it lol.

But let the comments begin. This should be interesting.

I might take a lot of flak for this next statement. Having lived in the belly of the "Gold Coast Beast" between Greenwich, Darien and New Canaan (I was in Stamford) into my mid thirties IMO the large majority of these people are living down county in Fairfield County. The rest of CT is pretty cool with normal and very nice folks.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:27 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,626,297 times
If you read the article it says:

"To come up with his ranking, Murphy built off a 2013 survey that looked at the levels of the “Big Five” personality traits – extraversion, neuroticism, agreeableness, conscientiousness and openness to experience – in 48 states and D.C.,based on a sample of 1.6 million people.

He then used a forthcoming paper that showed how psychopathic characteristics are translated into the “Big Five.” For example, the characteristic of meanness exhibited in psychopaths, would correspond to low agreeableness.

This finding allowed Murphy to translate the personality analysis into a score for psychopathy."

That's a lot of magic analysis going on there, and doesn't mean much... mental health is a lot more than analyzing traits from answers to a general population survey. And having a low level of agreeableness doesn't mean you'd be diagnosed as a psychopath by a psychiatrist. I doubt many of the people sampled were truly psychopaths, let alone can you extrapolate that to the states.

Old 06-24-2018, 12:52 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,185,266 times
Someone in Texas trying to make a name for himself, by calling us northeners crazy. How original

Old 06-24-2018, 12:43 PM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

Not surprising at all, it has been demonstrated over time that disinhibition, boldness and meanness are successful qualities for business management. It makes perfect sense that the NYC tri-state area leads in these traits.

Old 06-24-2018, 12:52 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
More clickbait with questionable-at-best methodology.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:20 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
^^^Correct. There are more than five antisocial traits that comprise sociopathic behavior. I would say there are a lot of neurotic people in the Northeast but labeling them as sociopathic is absurd. I've lived in enough places now to know where most of the bona fide nuts are residing and it ain't the Northeast region.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:33 PM

34,934 posts, read 56,945,109 times
I am wondering if this has to do with having more people diagnosed with disorders because of better health care. It is kind of hard to quantify psychopaths when you don’t have a good system to diagnose or treat them. I agree this is just click bait. Jay

Old 06-24-2018, 07:29 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
^^^Correct. There are more than five antisocial traits that comprise sociopathic behavior. I would say there are a lot of neurotic people in the Northeast but labeling them as sociopathic is absurd. I've lived in enough places now to know where most of the bona fide nuts are residing and it ain't the Northeast region.
I’m not agreeing with the study, but there are significant differences between psychopaths and sociopaths.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:08 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
They are similar but yes, as you pointed out somewhat different. Self absorbed behavior is a hallmark trait of both.

https://www.healthyplace.com/persona...of-a-sociopath

https://www.healthyplace.com/persona...f-a-psychopath

The Northeast is nowhere near as bad in terms of the general population exhibiting multiple characteristics of either mental problem. I see more of it in some areas of the Midwest than the Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut