Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support this new Park Pass Fee?
Yes 11 61.11%
No 7 38.89%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 05:08 AM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

I was shocked and yet not surprised to see this new fee. The clean air act is one thing but charging someone for Park access when they may never use the parks is crazy.

The good news is.. For those of us that use the parks a lot, it's only $5 a year now vs paying what ever the park would charge you.

The bad news is.. It was free for residents to use parks in their own town but now they're being charged.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 05:10 AM

Here's a link with FAQ's and info.

DMV: Passport to the Parks FAQs

Quote:
What is Passport to Parks?
A. Connecticut wants to make state parks, forests, trails, historic sites and beaches more available to our residents so they can enjoy the many attractions and beauty they offer. Under this program parking fees are now eliminated at Connecticut State Parks for those with Connecticut registered vehicles. To make this possible, an increase in registration fees was passed by the General Assembly.

Q. Why is everyone being charged the fee?
A. Connecticut has many beautiful state parks, forests, trails, historic sites and beaches. These are all included in the new free parking for Connecticut-registered vehicles. Our residents should have equal access to these wonderful natural resources that are the economic driver for our state and the communities in which they are located. When people visit our state parks they also visit local restaurants, shops and local farms. This program brings many economic benefits for our state.

Q. I am a part-time Connecticut resident, but register my vehicle in another state. Can I access the parks for free?
A. No – your vehicle must be registered in Connecticut to receive the benefit of free parking where a fee is charged. Out-of-state registered vehicles are welcome and would pay the daily parking fee that is in effect, or purchase a season pass.

Q. How many people use the parks each year?
A. Each year more than nine million people visit our state parks – this makes Connecticut state parks one of the top tourism destinations in the state.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:32 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Don’t CT residents already pay for the maintenance of these parks through tax dollars? I don’t care how minimal this fee seems; it’s another way for the broke state of CT to nickle and dime it’s residents.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:53 AM

And haven't the parks been maintained before this?? Its not like they were neglected or in disarray.

Quote:
Q: How will the fee be used to support the state parks and beaches?

A. The fee allows the State of Connecticut to give more to the public that has now invested in our park system: Increased lifeguards, improved park maintenance, shoulder season camping for opening day of fishing and into the fall foliage, and longer hours at our museums and nature centers.
I'd like to see the changes from here on out. Sounds like we'll have to pay employees more too.

This is going to lead to increases in the future and we won't be able to do anything about it.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:13 AM

537 posts, read 331,034 times
I know in principle many people will be against it. But as someone who uses the parks this will save me money pretty quickly compared to the parking fees I'd pay. At $5 a year, one visit and I'm already ahead.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchem View Post
I know in principle many people will be against it. But as someone who uses the parks this will save me money pretty quickly compared to the parking fees I'd pay. At $5 a year, one visit and I'm already ahead.
That's true about 1 visit being ahead and that means one thing... for sure the fee will go up in the near future. Why not make it $10 a year instead?

For those that camp this is worth it for sure because some sites charge upwards of $40/night.

Here's a list of parks that charge.

DEEP: Parking and Camping Fees - CT State Parks and Forests

I have to admit, while I hesitated going to parks that charge I now have an incentive to go there and check them out so I'll get much more than $5/yr worth..

So that means there will be more foot traffic since more people will be using the parks. Think about that.. More rowdy kids? More garbage? More Trail use. Noise? Smoke? Fire hazards? Am I over thinking this or speaking truth??

Old 06-27-2018, 07:51 AM

And is it me or wouldn't the state make more money just charging people $15 to use a park than $5 per vehicle? Nevermind, don't answer that. lol

So they rather have more foot traffic to make more money?

Old 06-27-2018, 08:23 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
Think it's an awesome idea. I am not sure what is $5 but last I knew all in-state residents didn't have to pay entering a park.

The parks have lost of money over the years. The whole park needs a stat increase of funds to revamp some parks and expand. Need more open land in the State to hike.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:54 AM

249 posts, read 354,541 times
So, how do we get the pass? And now I won't get charged to go to Rocky Neck or Hammonasset?

Old 06-27-2018, 09:30 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
I believe this came about as a way to get dedicated funding to maintain state parks instead of it being at the whim of a budget. While you are right, before the parks were free but residents paid for some parks like Hammonasset and Rocky Neck. Now they are free for all residents with a Connecticut registered vehicle. I don't really go to state parks that charge to park there but do understand and accept the reasoning behind this. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut