Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2018, 08:46 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
When I read a story like this my first question is why are the police engaging in pursuit(s) over theft and/or property crime in general? No ones life is worth a few CD's, GPS, phone, or even a whole car. When the perps or the police cause an accident and someone not involved gets hurt or killed is it worth it ?

Police pursuits should be banned except for capital type crimes like murder and kidnapping.
But if the perpetrators know they will not be pursued, what is to prevent them from continuing their crime spree? I am all for safety but I do not think that type of ban will help stop crime and may actually increase it. I would bet that the number of injuries and deaths from pursuits is very low. Whether it is worth it or not is strictly opinion and should be left to the professionals. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 08:58 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,176,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayct View Post
but if the perpetrators know they will not be pursued, what is to prevent them from continuing their crime spree? I am all for safety but i do not think that type of ban will help stop crime and may actually increase it. I would bet that the number of injuries and deaths from pursuits is very low. Whether it is worth it or not is strictly opinion and should be left to the professionals. Jay

+1.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:34 AM

32,915 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
But if the perpetrators know they will not be pursued, what is to prevent them from continuing their crime spree? I am all for safety but I do not think that type of ban will help stop crime and may actually increase it. I would bet that the number of injuries and deaths from pursuits is very low. Whether it is worth it or not is strictly opinion and should be left to the professionals. Jay
What's low?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ries/30187827/

Old 07-25-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post

Sensationalist journalism, at best.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:53 PM

6,568 posts, read 4,960,720 times
From Enfield a few days ago:

On July 27 at approximately 4:20am the Enfield Police Department received 911 calls from the Crystal Corner area of town regarding 4 to 5 older teens looking into parked cars. Residents yelled out to the individuals who then ran to a white vehicle and left the area. A short time later we received more 911 calls from the David Street area where one of the suspects had been caught and detained by one of the residents.

In all, we were able to locate 25 victims whose vehicles were entered during this crime spree. The areas affected were; Litchfield Drive, Crystal Corners, Sparkle Street, Post Office Road, Campsite Street, David Street, and Luster Lane.

We believe this is part of an organized crime ring coming out of Hartford. It is believed that these individuals have been working the surrounding communities targeting unlocked vehicles in residential areas.

The Enfield Police Department is working with area police departments which include; Windsor, East Hartford, West Hartford, Bloomfield and Hartford, as well as the Hartford Police Department Auto Theft Task Force.

One arrest was made, with more being anticipated. We want to thank the neighbors who were vigilant in watching out for each other. Without your involvement, these suspects may not have been caught.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:14 PM

^ you know it’s bad when area departments have to have an Auto Theft Task Force.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:01 PM

377 posts, read 240,854 times
Not to worry, any of them that are is arrested will have a Tablet waiting for them in an air conditioned cell with anything but slop to eat. The truth is, not one of them will be sentenced to any significant time. They’ll be arraigned , make a few appearances, then given AR or Probation and returned to a neighborhood near you.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:41 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

https://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-...story?id=95836

Quote:
The average score nationally for police officers is 21 to 22, the equivalent of an IQ of 104, or just a little above average.

Town cops aren't exactly renowned for their capability for critical thought.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
https://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-...story?id=95836

Town cops aren't exactly renowned for their capability for critical thought.
What that says is police nationally are of above average intelligence. Genius? No, but above average. That’s before you take into account training and experience which, in many situations, is worth far more than IQ.

That being said, most police agencies in Connecticut require police have a college degree. That can’t be said for any other state except for police in Massachusetts and New Jersey. That means the officers in CT are, on average, likely much more intelligent than that national study. CT officers can go anywhere in the nation and get hired immediately - the reverse is not true.

So yes, Jay is correct, leave it to the professionals. But good attempt.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:10 AM

Almost every car found in Bridgeport - imagine that.

Wilton police: 7 vehicles stolen from same lot

WILTON -
Wilton police are investigating after thieves made off with seven vehicles from the same lot.

Police say six of them were later found in Bridgeport, and none were damaged.

The theft happened at Devan Chevrolet on Route 7 early Sunday morning.

Police say the suspects smashed their way into the service department, came out with the key fobs, and made off with the cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut