Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who are you voting for in R Primary? Please only respond if you are a registered republican. Thanks
Boughton 9 33.33%
Herbst 4 14.81%
Obsitnik 9 33.33%
Stefanowski 1 3.70%
Stemerman 4 14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 07:36 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times

Advertisements

Why are we advocating for the widening of 95 over mass transit? Haven’t we learned from the mistakes made in CA, GA and TX? If you build it, they will come.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:43 PM

4,451 posts, read 3,344,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Why are we advocating for the widening of 95 over mass transit? Haven’t we learned from the mistakes made in CA, GA and TX? If you build it, they will come.

That's good, we want business to come to FFC. I-95 and the Parkway are outdated for the population in Fairfield County now. The Merritt Parkway is beautiful but it was outdated years ago.

I live in FFC and travel the Merritt Parkway and I-95 now. In fact I just made the trip from Trumbull to Norwalk today and got caught in traffic at 9:30 in the no exit zone. It seems to happen more and more. Something needs to be done so we don't scare business away from coming to the county that is saving the state in regards to income taxes paid. I believe you moved to Virginia. You probably don't know how bad it is getting.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
That's good, we want business to come to FFC. I-95 and the Parkway are outdated for the population in Fairfield County now. The Merritt Parkway is beautiful but it was outdated years ago.
I generally agree that these highways need updating, but widening? I don’t know. You can make the Merritt 3-4 lanes in each direction and in a decade, they will be just as bad. As I said, see CA, GA and TX.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:56 PM

4,451 posts, read 3,344,634 times
Quote:
I generally agree that these highways need updating, but widening? I don’t know. You can make the Merritt 3-4 lanes in each direction and in a decade, they will be just as bad. As I said, see CA, GA and TX.
If the different towns don't add thousands of housing units EACH it will be OK. My town of Trumbull has had about the same amount of housing units (or just a little more) for the 20 years I have been living in town. I think most of the suburban towns have been like that.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:57 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,942,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
If the different towns don't add thousands of housing units EACH it will be OK. My town of Trumbull has had about the same amount of housing units (or just a little more) for the 20 years I have been living in town. I think most of the suburban towns have been like that.
Its not the towns in FFC adding more housing units necessarily, its that people from farther away will able to commute to Stamford and Norwalk, thereby increasing the number of cars on the road.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Its not the towns in FFC adding more housing units necessarily, its that people from farther away will able to commute to Stamford and Norwalk, thereby increasing the number of cars on the road.
Exactly.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:21 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
The state HAS been investing a LOT in mass transit. There are many new train sets and new and improved stations and track improvements but that does not mean we should ignore our highways either which except for the Q Bridge is what has been done for the past several decades. I-95 is basically the same highway as when it opened in 1958. It was designed for a much different era.

There is no question that there is a problem but ignoring it does nothing to solve it. If you look at what was proposed, the "widening" would have given the highway wider shoulders that meet modern standards and would have added needed operational lanes to reduce congestion between interchanges. It may have also meant the closing of strategic interchanges since there are way too many in some areas. Look at how the Q Bridge project has improved I-95 from New Haven to Branford. Shouldn't the entire highway be similar?

The thing people do not realize is why the experiences in California, Georgia and Texas do not necessarily apply to Connecticut is that those states are not fully mature with development. They continue to sprawl across the countryside with virtually unchecked development. That is the key flaw in ALL of the studies that highway improvement naysayers conveniently forget. Much of the data used is over 40 years old now and does not necessarily reflect an area like Connecticut where you do not see hundreds of new homes built year after year and are unlikely ever going to see.

Boughton outright said he would cancel widening I-95. How does that help commuters? This is typical political BS that is likely to address the backlash he got from his statements last week. Not everyone can commute by train to their jobs. How does leaving I-95 in its current condition help the commuter? It does not. Jay

Old 07-24-2018, 08:36 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
I think widening I-95 to four lanes for the entire length between NY and New Haven would be beneficial, but only if mass transit is also beefed up. I don't see a problem with an all of the above approach. But my biggest concern is...how on earth will there be any room to add an extra lane in many parts of the highway?! It seems borderline impossible in certain parts of New Haven, Stratford, Bridgeport, Norwalk and Stamford.

Sadly, I have to deal with I-95 every day on my commute here in Jacksonville, which is only 3 lanes as well. It's becoming a huge problem in an extremely fast growing metro.

I think I-95 should be widened to a FIVE lane highway for the entire length between Canada and Key West!

Old 07-24-2018, 09:07 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,183,800 times
Yes, not a lot of room to grow like in Tx, NV, CA, etc... drive into Houston from the outskirts. Flat land as far as you can see. Recall joking with friends about buying land on outskirts of Vegas 20 yrs ago...!
That said the same logic applies to widening the roads here.
Between Nimby and Bambi....good luck.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:16 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,612,521 times
Instead of trying to reclaim land along I-95 for widening why not add an above ground set of express lanes. The express level doesn't need as many entry/exit ramps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut