Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2018, 12:32 PM

21,549 posts, read 30,966,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Here we go again. Lets compare like homes between Issaquah and the suburbs of Hartford. Issaquah is about 17 miles from downtown Seattle and is regarded as one of the more desirable suburbs to live in. For $750,000 you get a 2,400 square foot home on a third of an acre with taxes of $6,500 per year.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...8_rect/10_zm/?

Farmington is a desirable suburb of Hartford that is about 10 miles from downtown Hartford. An approximately 2,400 square foot home there is under $400,000 and has taxes of about $5,500. And before you say I am cherry picking, there are at least two homes that fit the description in Farmington.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...i6T7wsKCVuoi50

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...0JrJGAC6NqVrRY

Which is more affordable? Jay
Which is more property tax friendly, is the better question.

In King County, where Seattle is, the average homeowner pays 1% of home value toward property taxes. Connecticut pays 2.02%, and if you narrow it down to Hartford County (which has the highest mil rates in the state), it is likely much higher.

So which is more property tax friendly? Seattle as, statistically, CT residents pay more than double. Sorry but this is really not debatable, as these are facts.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 01:00 PM

34,688 posts, read 56,476,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Which is more property tax friendly, is the better question.

In King County, where Seattle is, the average homeowner pays 1% of home value toward property taxes. Connecticut pays 2.02%, and if you narrow it down to Hartford County (which has the highest mil rates in the state), it is likely much higher.

So which is more property tax friendly? Seattle as, statistically, CT residents pay more than double. Sorry but this is really not debatable, as these are facts.
You are the one that brought this up, so yeah, it is debatable. The price difference alone is more than $1,600 a month in additional mortgage payments (assuming an additional $350,000 is needed) so even if the taxes were higher (which I just showed they were not necessarily so), the difference could be paid off in a matter of a month or two of lower mortgage payments. Jay

Old 07-27-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
You are the one that brought this up, so yeah, it is debatable. The price difference alone is more than $1,600 a month in additional mortgage payments (assuming an additional $350,000 is needed) so even if the taxes were higher (which I just showed they were not necessarily so), the difference could be paid off in a matter of a month or two of lower mortgage payments. Jay
What’s not debatable is the fact that, on average, greater Seattle homeowners pay half the property taxes than in Connecticut. We can cherry pick homes all day long but that doesn’t change overall statistics.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:15 PM

13,987 posts, read 13,765,378 times
Seattle does have booming job market

Old 07-28-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Seattle does have booming job market
And a booming and expensive real estate market. My family friend that just moved from there said that the problem is that there is a lot of foreign speculative investment there. He said that half the homes in his up and coming neighborhood were vacant because of that. I am sure it was an exaggeration but it was enough that it felt erry to walk around at night. Too many dark houses. Jay

Old 07-28-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
And a booming and expensive real estate market. My family friend that just moved from there said that the problem is that there is a lot of foreign speculative investment there. He said that half the homes in his up and coming neighborhood were vacant because of that. I am sure it was an exaggeration but it was enough that it felt erry to walk around at night. Too many dark houses. Jay
Funny. I screen shot that to my family in the Seattle suburbs (who are both originally from Ellington and Windsor) there and his reply was that is so false. He said if anything, it is the opposite. Seattle is booming and there are too many people everywhere.

I’ll take a booming metro area over a stagnant place like Hartford, any day. I think most would agree with that.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Funny. I screen shot that to my family in the Seattle suburbs (who are both originally from Ellington and Windsor) there and his reply was that is so false. He said if anything, it is the opposite. Seattle is booming and there are too many people everywhere.

I’ll take a booming metro area over a stagnant place like Hartford, any day. I think most would agree with that.
I am just telling you the reason he left his neighborhood of over 30 years. It was not Issaquah but a modest neighborhood in Seattle that apparently is attracting a lot of foreign investment. I would have to look up his old address to give you where it is. Been a while since I wrote him an actual Xmas card. Jay

Old 07-28-2018, 12:05 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,725,737 times
Don't do it! Housing is skyrocketing in the Seattle area - it's already getting to be almost like the San Francisco Bay area. Terrible traffic. Very very expensive housing. If you are renting, expect to get priced out of the market soon, even if you can afford it this year.

I agree with stay put, and fly out to visit a few times a year.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Don't do it! Housing is skyrocketing in the Seattle area - it's already getting to be almost like the San Francisco Bay area. Terrible traffic. Very very expensive housing. If you are renting, expect to get priced out of the market soon, even if you can afford it this year.

I agree with stay put, and fly out to visit a few times a year.
Yep - Seattle went from being relatively affordable in the 90s to about as expensive as NYC and SF. My sister’s fiancée moved to Seattle for 5-6 months and went right back to Los Angeles because he said rents in LA were half the price of Seattle.

Old 07-28-2018, 01:24 PM

13,987 posts, read 13,765,378 times
Quote:
Yep - Seattle went from being relatively affordable in the 90s to about as expensive as NYC and SF. My sister’s fiancée moved to Seattle for 5-6 months and went right back to Los Angeles because he said rents in LA were half the price of Seattle.
I give less than 10 years Seattle is mini world class city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut