Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 10:15 AM

53 posts, read 56,754 times

Advertisements

I've only lived in this town (23 years ) and its been amazing (schools, beaches, the people, EMS, Fire dept (volunteer for both) etc) Pretty soon, like so many people in this town, we are going to "cash out" and move south. So from my vantage point CT has been great...however in today's NY Post there is another story about how bad things are and why they can't get better. CT is wonderful on my different levels, but should you stay or move here... you need to understand the financial burden on you and your family is only going to go higher while less and less jobs come here. Unless those that are getting a pension and those accepting "free stuff" agree to take less... there is no fix, the money needs to be collected. And its coming from us. (or at least those that live in the state)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 11:06 AM

570 posts, read 476,995 times
Not disagreeing with you. Feel fortunate that you bought into Greenwich before the real estate bubble occurred so you will be paid handsomely. You also saw significant wage growth in 90s. The younger generations are being destroyed by high costs of housing, medical care and education. The older generations have voted in federal and local governments that allowed real estate non-sense to occur, bailed out banks who provided the gasoline, then printed trillions in cheap money to keep floor under prices which allowed game to continue. They changed bk laws so kids are saddled with student loan debt with no way out while allowing tuition to move up astronomically. Meanwhile, big business extorts tax breaks from state and federal, pushs jobs to India while also allowing H1Bs to flood job market and suppress wages for younger folks. You then wonder why things are so expensive, and why debt load continues to explode. Poor will never escape their circumstances so giant growing sucking noise and younger people, including govt workers, will need much higher salaries just to survive. All of a sudden it looks cheaper south. No surprise. Olde people left the mess, want theirs and now blame everyone else for spending issues. Not blaming you personally but it just seems like older people don't seem to understand how it ties together.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:09 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
You aren't alone in your opinions.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:35 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Older people have been moving south for retirement for more than 60 years now. They are primarily seeking warmer weather and cheaper housing, though that is not necessarily true these days except in southwestern Fairfield County. It is nothing new. The “feeling” that the younger generation has it worse than previous generations is also not new. Every generation has obstacles to overcome, it is just that they are different than what previous generations faced. Jay

Old 08-01-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Older people have been moving south for retirement for more than 60 years now. They are primarily seeking warmer weather and cheaper housing, though that is not necessarily true these days except in southwestern Fairfield County. It is nothing new. The “feeling” that the younger generation has it worse than previous generations is also not new. Every generation has obstacles to overcome, it is just that they are different than what previous generations faced. Jay
Probably true, Jay but there is no question that vast majority of millenial or gen-x with kids can't survive on single income today. Student loans are a major problem. I am mid-Gen x and still think that many moms stayed at home in 1980s. Some had jobs but mostly part time that ended at same time as school. Today, you need two full time bread winners to live middle class (or upper if two professionals). That is a giant change, though it looks on outside that everything is status quo. Your margin for error career wise and marriage wise is much smaller. Don't get me into cameras and social media. You can make one mistake and you are a Google search away from being unemployable. I thank God no cameras or permanent digital records exist for some of dumb things I did as kid. It just seems much harder today, legitimately.

Last edited by CT_Yank; 08-01-2018 at 01:23 PM..

Old 08-01-2018, 01:37 PM

785 posts, read 823,318 times
Could you post the article from NYP? I couldn't find it.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:44 PM

https://nypost.com/2018/07/31/connec...omic-mistakes/

Probably this one...

Old 08-01-2018, 03:20 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
Probably true, Jay but there is no question that vast majority of millenial or gen-x with kids can't survive on single income today. Student loans are a major problem. I am mid-Gen x and still think that many moms stayed at home in 1980s. Some had jobs but mostly part time that ended at same time as school. Today, you need two full time bread winners to live middle class (or upper if two professionals). That is a giant change, though it looks on outside that everything is status quo. Your margin for error career wise and marriage wise is much smaller. Don't get me into cameras and social media. You can make one mistake and you are a Google search away from being unemployable. I thank God no cameras or permanent digital records exist for some of dumb things I did as kid. It just seems much harder today, legitimately.
It is true that back in the 80’s more families were able to live on one salary but that was changing rapidly as home prices rose in or near major employment centers. Also note back then there were no work from home options and companies that offered flexible hours were very few. Jay

Old 08-01-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It is true that back in the 80’s more families were able to live on one salary but that was changing rapidly as home prices rose in or near major employment centers. Also note back then there were no work from home options and companies that offered flexible hours were very few. Jay
Yes but that is a double edged sword. I've put in alot of hours after work online accommodating India and Singapore. Companies also reach you on vacation too.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:08 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Being in Greenwich is a very advantageous situation as it’s close to jobs in NYC. That’s why it’s expensive. Demand. I wouldn’t blame the state on that one.

How many places in Florida can you have the same access to extremely high paying jobs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: