Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 08:37 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The solution is to make sure you have 21st century skills, before accumulating long-term obligations like a mortgage, having kids, buying that expensive car via loans, etc.

Not to wonder how will I make it on a McJob after adding adult responsibilities.

you have me confused with someone else. I am not advocating that people at min wage jobs go out and get a mortgage. I think that is lunacy, but others here think its a wise decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 08:45 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
As an actual employer here, many who start at mininum....love to find those who will work anything close to 40. Most adults rather work around 26 hours. After that they lose bennies. They have full lives with more expensive cell phones than id buy. Have few that are willing to work O/T.

Its hard to find anyone who is willing to work hard.
The work is there trust me.

If you pay minimum wage expect minimum effort. If a business down the street offers .50 cents more an hour your min wage employees are going to bail. IT must be tough to manage a business with a revolving door of new employees. Can't see how that would save any money in the long run, but I'm sure you've run the numbers and decided its profitable.

Your quip regarding min wage workers working less hours on purpose to get bennies is a stretch. I'm willing to bet $4.76 and a glazed donut the opposite scenario - businesses not offering 40 hours to workers so they do not have to provide bennies - is far more common.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:35 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
If you pay minimum wage expect minimum effort. If a business down the street offers .50 cents more an hour your min wage employees are going to bail. IT must be tough to manage a business with a revolving door of new employees. Can't see how that would save any money in the long run, but I'm sure you've run the numbers and decided its profitable.

Its actually easy, as corps understand a giant % of those positions are short term.

Cashiers today number 3 million or so in USA. In a few years, majority are gone, as self checkouts spread.

Big boxes and groceries are already going mainly that way, pharmacies will follow soon, plus fast food. In giant numbers.

Stockers will go robotic next-defined sku settings with bar codes make that easy, too.

So we will not see much in the way of pay raises in retail, as having tons of human staff is not a long-term plan.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:37 AM

4,453 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
businesses not offering 40 hours to workers so they do not have to provide bennies - is far more common.

The companies are staying under 30 hours so they don't have to pay health insurance. I believe once an employee goes above 30 or 32 hours the company must provide health insurance. That is why so may people working in retail are working two jobs. At least that is what many of the workers are telling me.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:30 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
The solution is to make sure you have 21st century skills, before accumulating long-term obligations like a mortgage, having kids, buying that expensive car via loans, etc.

Not to wonder how will I make it on a McJob after adding adult responsibilities.
My point was that with a $15 minimum wage and married dual income, you can afford a starter home as long as it’s not in a high COL place. When it gets to $15 in Massachusetts in 2023, most of the Springfield burbs other than Longmeadow will be affordable. As was pointed out, you might need to work 2 jobs since employers hold their low wage people to 32 hours so they’re not full time.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:58 AM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
My point was that with a $15 minimum wage and married dual income, you can afford a starter home as long as it’s not in a high COL place. When it gets to $15 in Massachusetts in 2023, most of the Springfield burbs other than Longmeadow will be affordable. As was pointed out, you might need to work 2 jobs since employers hold their low wage people to 32 hours so they’re not full time.
Of course you realize that in four years that $15 will be worth 10-12% Les than today due to inflation which starting to rise again. This is the problem with the current minimum wage, it has not kept up with inflation. Jay

Old 08-11-2018, 12:28 PM

Minimum wage is just a starting point wage. The mistake is thinking it should be a living wage, as frankly, no one should stay at minimum wage, low skill jobs, while trying to raise a family.

MW jobs are perfect for the 16 year old seeking first work experience and dating money, or the retiree on SS seeking supplemental income.

Old 08-11-2018, 03:19 PM

4,453 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Of course you realize that in four years that $15 will be worth 10-12% Les than today due to inflation which starting to rise again. This is the problem with the current minimum wage, it has not kept up with inflation. Jay
As of now CT is going to tie the minimum wage to inflation after it reaches $15.00 so that seems pretty good. But something tells me if the Republicans get in power that will change. They will stop minimum wage from keeping up with inflation and probably block minimum wage from getting to $15.00.

Old 08-11-2018, 03:20 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,146,129 times
Quote:
Minimum wage is just a starting point wage. The mistake is thinking it should be a living wage, as frankly, no one should stay at minimum wage, low skill jobs, while trying to raise a family.

MW jobs are perfect for the 16 year old seeking first work experience and dating money, or the retiree on SS seeking supplemental income.
Even if I accept your premise, a living wage is still needed as a starting wage. Otherwise you can never save up enough to have kids or buy a house for said future family.

Old 08-11-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
Even if I accept your premise, a living wage is still needed as a starting wage. Otherwise you can never save up enough to have kids or buy a house for said future family.
I disagree, as it is just a wage for a few months.

I knew that, decades ago, at 17 bagging groceries, while in high school. It was time to start making the moves, getting college degrees, etc, to allow me to easily earn a living plus wage.

It was never time to pretend bagging groceries should provide a living wage.

5 years later, when I graduated college, they had run through many more 17 year old baggers. None earned a living wage.

PS: People do not save to buy a home. They save a tiny %-a/k/a down payment. To get a home, one must show a promising future income capability. Bagging groceries, working a cash register, stocking shelves..will not cut the mustard there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut