Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 04:09 PM

21,554 posts, read 30,976,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtohartfordct View Post
CT laws are pro lgbt, because of the population who vote. CT is welcoming to all people regardless of race, sexual preference, or age. What you’re suggesting is incorrect. Does CT have large gay communities like CA or NY? No, but that doesn’t mean CT isn’t welcoming.
CT votes democrat largely because of the heavy democratic minority population in its major cities, not because there are many white leftists in the state. Because of that, democratic politicians are able to pass laws promoting their agenda (and for the record, I am very liberal when it comes to gay/trans rights).

There is a difference between having gay friendly laws due to the above voter tendencies and the state being overwhelmingly welcoming. The latter is not the case in most suburban cul de sacs.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:22 PM

898 posts, read 592,802 times
What does "transracial" mean anyway? White guy who identifies as a black woman? I dunno, when I see them in Walmart I just chuckle and go about my business...

Old 08-20-2018, 04:32 PM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,045,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
Yes I'm Venezuelan but identify as Filipino.
Nobody cares in New England, and I find it difficult to believe that it's an issue anywhere in the US. To me, it would seem that you love the Filipino culture and lifestyle so much, that you have adopted their way of life and language. Filipinos might even take your interest as a compliment.

I'm Chinese, but ever since college, I've been asked what I am. Conjectures ranged from Korean, Native American, Hawaiian to Eskimo. And even two weeks ago, a woman in a shop asked me if I had ever been mistaken for being Native American.

If you are new to any area and want to be perceived as Filipino, no one will care what you identify as. I don't even think a real Filipino would care either, as long as you weren't doing anything to embarrass their nationality or culture.

Old 08-20-2018, 05:32 PM

331 posts, read 205,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
CT votes democrat largely because of the heavy democratic minority population in its major cities, not because there are many white leftists in the state. Because of that, democratic politicians are able to pass laws promoting their agenda (and for the record, I am very liberal when it comes to gay/trans rights).

There is a difference between having gay friendly laws due to the above voter tendencies and the state being overwhelmingly welcoming. The latter is not the case in most suburban cul de sacs.
No. Minorities have low voter turn out and so does the poor. It’s white middle class suburban voters too. If anything minorities tend to be less LBGT friendly than white college educated voters.

Old 08-20-2018, 05:59 PM

9,820 posts, read 14,677,678 times
I noticed some people use ‘transracial’ to refer to mixed race people. That’s ridiculous. A mixed race person didn’t decided to be that, they were simply born like that and inherited the combination of features. Often times mixed people look as what the average person thinks a mixed person should look like (an ideal creates by the media), but other times mixed people inherit features that to many people could appear odd (think of Lionel Richie, people that know who he is would associate to him a similar looking mixed person; but for those that don’t know who he is or don’t remember, seeing a Lionel Richie looking mixed person can produce shock, might make them ripe to be mocked or made fun of, or people reject them thinking they did something to change their appearance instead of accepting they look like that because they are mixed.)

If by ‘transracial’ the OP meant mixed race, first that’s not transracial. Secondly, in Fairfield County, specifically in the Greenwich-Stamford-Westport areas and inbetween, if you are mixed and have the looks people expect mixed people to have, you will be accepted and on the streets will be as invisible as an average looking joe. If, however, you look very similar to typical whites or blacks or indians or whatever but insist of making it known that you are really mixed, people will look at you funny or with pity. If you look mixed but have an unusual combination of features (Lionel Richie type), many people will make fun of you, they will speak about you behind your back (and sometimes within earshot), and you will find yourself feeling uncomfortable, discriminated, judged, etc by many people, black, white, inbetweens.

If anyone tells you that this doesn’t happen in the liberal parts of CT, just know for the record that they don’t know what they are talking about. Meet mixed people, especially those with looks that don’t fit what most people expect mixed people to look like, talk to them about their life experiences in CT and be ready to have what I just posted here confirmed to the tee.

If by ‘transracial’ you meant someone that has issues with the race they were born with and want/are doing something to change it or have others identify them by something else, then I don’t know what type of treatment you could receive. If anything, expect the same treatment that mixed people with unconventional looks get and that I already described.

The things I say in this post are not conjectures or attempting to imagine what it would be like, I’ve known quite a few mixed people with various types of looks, including those with combination of features that people think a mixed person can never have, and its from them that I got the insights into the experiences they have in this state, particularly in the Greater Stamford area.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
No. Minorities have low voter turn out and so does the poor. It’s white middle class suburban voters too. If anything minorities tend to be less LBGT friendly than white college educated voters.
A 50-60% voter turnout in Bridgeport/NH/Hartford/Waterbury is worth a lot more than the 80% you see in towns like Shelton and Orange (which overall votes very differently than the cities). Those are the types of suburbs I was referring to that a trans individual would not feel comfortable in.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
A 50-60% voter turnout in Bridgeport/NH/Hartford/Waterbury is worth a lot more than the 80% you see in towns like Shelton and Orange (which overall votes very differently than the cities). Those are the types of suburbs I was referring to that a trans individual would not feel comfortable in.
You were suggesting that the majority of votes the democrats get are from minorities, that would be incorrect. Most are from whites and minority voters give them the edge.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:40 PM

34,702 posts, read 56,496,602 times
Quote:
That is correct. Also note that the largest group of voters in Connecticut are unaffiliated (956,000). According to the data I found, there are a about 848,000 Registered Democrats but only 481,000 Republicans. Given that our cities are small, there is no way they can sway an election. And if you look at the numbers by town, you can see that many suburban towns have more Democrats than Republicans. Check the link below. Jay

https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/sots/E...RPES.pdf?la=en

Old 08-20-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
You were suggesting that the majority of votes the democrats get are from minorities, that would be incorrect. Most are from whites and minority voters give them the edge.
No, I was suggesting that the reason CT votes so solidly democratic is because of the overwhelming majority of Democrats in our cities (including the smaller cities). Many are minorities, many aren’t. If you look at the percentage of white voters vs black voters in the state, you’ll see a big difference between party affiliations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
That is correct. Also note that the largest group of voters in Connecticut are unaffiliated (956,000). According to the data I found, there are a about 848,000 Registered Democrats but only 481,000 Republicans. Given that our cities are small, there is no way they can sway an election. And if you look at the numbers by town, you can see that many suburban towns have more Democrats than Republicans. Check the link below. Jay

https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/sots/E...RPES.pdf?la=en
Many do, but most do not. And the ones that do have relatively small populations, meaning they are peanuts in the grand scheme of things - as opposed to the cities.

This is not rocket science guys.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
No, I was suggesting that the reason CT votes so solidly democratic is because of the overwhelming majority of Democrats in our cities (including the smaller cities). Many are minorities, many aren’t. If you look at the percentage of white voters vs black voters in the state, you’ll see a big difference between party affiliations.

Many do, but most do not. And the ones that do have relatively small populations, meaning they are peanuts in the grand scheme of things - as opposed to the cities.

This is not rocket science guys.
“CT votes democrat largely because of the heavy democratic minority population in its major cities, not because there are many white leftists in the state”

Your reply. There are many white lefties and minority population don’t vote in high numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut