Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 12:58 PM

40 posts, read 72,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtohartfordct View Post
I used to live in Indiana and many people commuted over an hour. It was the norm. That’s not the case out here for many.

There is no way Dh could do it now. We have been spoiled by living so close to his job.
I used to commute 1.5 - 2 hours each way when living in LA. Then we moved to DC where there are abundant of public transit options. My wife has been living in cities where public transit is the norm so unless she has to, she won't drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 01:00 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,455,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Your plan will be shot to hell the first time it snows. The only bright spot you may have is that New Britain has a lot of cheap rentals. If these are dream jobs and neither of you want to quit one rent a place in New Britain and another place close to your wifes job.
It really depends on your personality. I commuted from Manchester to New London for 4 years 6 days a week. I had a relative who commuted from Windsor to Worcester for 6 years. The drive even in bad weather never really bothered me it was more the amount of time it took out of my day.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:05 PM

40 posts, read 72,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Your plan will be shot to hell the first time it snows. The only bright spot you may have is that New Britain has a lot of cheap rentals. If these are dream jobs and neither of you want to quit one rent a place in New Britain and another place close to your wifes job.
So we will see each other on the weekend? I suppose the roads don't get plowed like in DC / NoVA. That's a good point. Thanks, MrG.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:09 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raristo View Post
So we will see each other on the weekend? I suppose the roads don't get plowed like in DC / NoVA. That's a good point. Thanks, MrG.

The roads get plowed here and rather well. The issue is too much traffic. Add snow and all hell breaks loose. None of the routes you would have to drive are "low traffic".

Now if you were on the eastern side of the state using mainly I-395 you would be much better off. As you already know New Britain is in the center of CT so this doesn't apply.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:46 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Thanks for your inputs, JayCT and EOTR.

I am willing to spend up to an hour to commute to New Britain so Stratford / New Haven / Fairfield in CT are the possibilities IF my wife commutes to Penn Station.

Worcester sounds like the only option if she commutes to Boston.

As for Providence, well, despite being physically the closest, there aren't public transit available so it is now out of the picture.

Since we are renting for the first year, our budget is around $2,000 for 1 bedroom + den or 2 bedroom. We don't have kids yet so school is not a concern.
There is a problem with commuting to Manhattan from Connecticut. The trains go to Grand Central Terminal, not Penn Station. Penn Station is across town from GC so your wife would either need to walk or use the buses or subway to get to the Penn Station area. That will add to her commute. It could be two hours. Jay

MTA NYCT - Trip Planner+

Old 09-13-2018, 03:05 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
How about they live in or around Old Saybrook ?

She takes Amtrak NE Regional to Providence. https://goo.gl/maps/fL5hRAR4DzQ2

He drives straight up Rt 9 to N B. https://goo.gl/maps/mgHDLocfomB2

Or are rents exorbitant around Old Saybrook ?

(Of course this assumes alot re train sked & work hours)

Old 09-13-2018, 04:05 PM

898 posts, read 597,716 times
Where in New Britain do you find a job that pays enough for this to make sense? You a doctor at the hospital? Umm, Find a house in/near Union CT or Sturbridge MA? Then you have an hour to NB if the traffic doesn't get ya, and she can drive someplace to grab a train near Worcester? No clue.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:03 PM

9,877 posts, read 7,207,036 times
Quote:
Hi robr2,

Her office is within walking distance to South Station. How would she go from Norwich to Boston / Providence besides driving the whole way?

Not sure what you mean by living in MA and renting a studio in New Britain. I do want to hug my wife every morning and evening. :-)
Living in Norwich would require you and her to drive to New Britain and Providence an hour plus respectively.

As for "hugging" your wife morning and evening - stop showing off you young 'en!! If the jobs are worthwhile and you're are willing to, I'd have the main residence in MA making it easier for her to commute into Boston. You would have to suffer with living in a tiny, roach infested studio stepping over needles and used condoms during the week. No disrespect to New Britain - I was just trying to paint a picture.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:43 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Thanks for your inputs, JayCT and EOTR.

I am willing to spend up to an hour to commute to New Britain so Stratford / New Haven / Fairfield in CT are the possibilities IF my wife commutes to Penn Station.

Worcester sounds like the only option if she commutes to Boston.

As for Providence, well, despite being physically the closest, there aren't public transit available so it is now out of the picture.

Since we are renting for the first year, our budget is around $2,000 for 1 bedroom + den or 2 bedroom. We don't have kids yet so school is not a concern.
Penn is a pain, as Metro North goes to Grand Central. So it is one of 3 options, (a) mile plus walk, (b) taxi, (3) 2 subways-one stop each

Now if you can afford more train money-it would cost more, but maybe off and on use Amtrak-it goes to Penn. Cheapest advance fare Bridgeport $24. Metro North plus subway would be (using 21 weekdays) $449 +115 = $564/21 or just under $13.50 per trip. So it is $10 more per direct trip at Amtrak best rate.

OOPS: Earliest gets in 9:21 am.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:08 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Milford does make sense given the commutes if she goes NYC. You can live in a nice apartment downtown in walking distance to the train, and shoot up Route 15 easily.

Maybe Fairfield if you want to stretch the New Britain commute a bit, and don't mind spending more on rent.

Neither commute will be fun...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut