Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 11:12 AM

745 posts, read 541,275 times

Advertisements

I'm having an interesting experience.

I am looking for a commutable suburb of NYC. I don't want to live in the outer boroughs and I can't afford Manhattan. (I've been in this area most of my life, so I'm not looking for advice really here...) My work is going to be full time in NYC in the financial district. I've been in Milford for the last two years and the twice a week commute to midtown has been realistic.

However, I know that a 5 day a week commute to the Financial District is not realistic.

So I've been looking for a commutable town-- open to NY, NJ AND CT-- where my commute will be more reasonable and I can get a reasonably priced one bed room apartment with washer dryer, that takes cats.

I looked at the towns around Ft. Lee, NJ. Expensive, tiny places. I looked at the Hackensack area. 15 miles and 1 hour commute. Also, not as nice as any place I've lived in CT.

I looked at Yonkers. Eww.

I keep coming back to Stamford. There are affordable condos downtown. There's 1 hour express trains to the city keeping my whole commute under 90 minutes and I actually like the town. I'm finding in Jersey areas I can afford (under $2200) are old row houses and 3 families (and NJ transit is in shambles) and in New York.. eww.

I know it's not for everyone but I am VERY surprised to find that Stamford seems to be the best option for me. I had initially eliminated CT because I thought I couldn't find a reasonable commute.

Am I missing something about NJ/NY? Or is it just that Stamford provides the best ratio of commuting time to lifestyle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 11:20 AM

21,534 posts, read 27,771,504 times
Yeah, Milford to midtown is at least bearable (I do it)

Financial District though, I would say you want to be max 45 minutes from GCT if you go CT or Westchester.

Stamford is probably a good idea. It's a decent station with many express trains. You can usually get a seat since many trains originate in Stamford, OR many people get off in the morning at Stamford from points north.

I would be as close to the train station in Stamford as possible. If you can walk, great. Short drive, good. Longer drives could be frustrating as it gets so congested in the city at rush hour.

Have you considered White Plains? It's a little over 30 minutes express train. Not the greatest city, but very convenient and not too pricey.

I would also look at Jersey City. It is a really nice city that is up and coming. I've spent a lot of time there and it's a really well rounded place. SUPER easy commute to downtown.

Pelham has some decent rentals. It is a wealthy town but lots of co-ops. Mamaroneck isn't bad. I wouldn't recommend New Rochelle. If you're comfortable in Milford I think you'll find it pretty dumpy.

Lastly, you may want to check out towns on the Hudson in NY.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:45 AM

Thanks Stylo. I'm usually on the 7:02 semi-Express out of Milford.

All I've seen of White Plains is the upscale mall there. Doesn't seem like a great city, but convenient. I will check out Pelham, and Mamroneck. I think New Rochelle is a dump. I feel the same way about Port Chester.

I think I keep comparing everything to Milford -- and not much stands up in comparison for a middle class town.

Thanks again.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:49 AM

21,534 posts, read 27,771,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMilford View Post
Thanks Stylo. I'm usually on the 7:02 semi-Express out of Milford.

All I've seen of White Plains is the upscale mall there. Doesn't seem like a great city, but convenient. I will check out Pelham, and Mamroneck. I think New Rochelle is a dump. I feel the same way about Port Chester.

I think I keep comparing everything to Milford -- and not much stands up in comparison for a middle class town.

Thanks again.
Unfortunately I'm not sure you'll find anything like Milford. It is why I bought another house there, despite my long commute. It's really hard to beat.

Springdale in Stamford might be a good option, but it's pushing the commute. The train from there is about an hour. Would be a long commute.

Pelham and Mamaroneck are much nicer than NR/PC IMO.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Unfortunately I'm not sure you'll find anything like Milford.
We're definitely spoiled here!

Old 09-26-2018, 12:56 PM

21,540 posts, read 30,956,091 times
It’s hard to beat Metro North.

What about Hoboken? It’s a quick trip using the PATH.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It’s hard to beat Metro North.

What about Hoboken? It’s a quick trip using the PATH.
Thanks, yes, I've looked there.

Again, finding studios, but not 1 bedrooms in my price range in places I'm willing to live

Old 09-26-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks, yes, I've looked there.

Again, finding studios, but not 1 bedrooms in my price range in places I'm willing to live
Are you only looking for sleek luxury apartments? If not, you can score a decent 1-2 bedroom place in Hoboken in your price range for less than 2200 a month. Might be worth a look - Zillow only tells part of the story.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Are you only looking for sleek luxury apartments? If not, you can score a decent 1-2 bedroom place in Hoboken in your price range for less than 2200 a month. Might be worth a look - Zillow only tells part of the story.
I have been looking on Zillow. Not sure where else to look. And I am not looking for sleek luxury apartments. I am looking at condos, generally in smaller complexes. I like being able to park my car in front of my place and not spending time riding elevators every time I need to do something.

MOre of a neighborhood than urban feel would be preferred.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I have been looking on Zillow. Not sure where else to look. And I am not looking for sleek luxury apartments. I am looking at condos, generally in smaller complexes. I like being able to park my car in front of my place and not spending time riding elevators every time I need to do something.

MOre of a neighborhood than urban feel would be preferred.
Try hotpads. It’s a great place to look for apartments. But unfortunately, in the immediate city area, finding non urban is a challenge. Stamford is probably your best bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut