Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 07:43 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Nutmegger View Post
Generally, I use the Connecticut and Housatonic Rivers as the traditional dividers between NY and Boston allegiances. Everything south and west of the Housatonic is generally NY, and everything east of the Connecticut is Boston. What I don't understand is why Major League Baseball doesn't relent and allow NESN and Red Sox games to be shown in Fairfield County. The entire state can see the Yankees and Mets on YES and SNY, but Fairfield County is blacked out of the Red Sox. That is the main thing that makes it tough being a Sox fan in Fairfield County.

I'm pretty sure this is a cable operator decision, not an MLB decision. NESN jams a very expensive contract down the throats of the cable operators. Something like $1.00/month per subscriber with an agreement that nobody in the viewing area can watch the games via streaming video. It's offered in all but the most basic package. That cable revenue enables the Evil Empire, Junior which can then afford expensive free agents like David Price and JD Martinez. I imagine YES does the same thing. You don't want to sign a contract like that in FFC where it's mostly Yankees watchers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 09:34 AM

205 posts, read 162,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'm pretty sure this is a cable operator decision, not an MLB decision. NESN jams a very expensive contract down the throats of the cable operators. Something like $1.00/month per subscriber with an agreement that nobody in the viewing area can watch the games via streaming video. It's offered in all but the most basic package. That cable revenue enables the Evil Empire, Junior which can then afford expensive free agents like David Price and JD Martinez. I imagine YES does the same thing. You don't want to sign a contract like that in FFC where it's mostly Yankees watchers.
The territories are indeed set by MLB, and not cable companies. DirectTV, which carries NESN, makes it available as part of the Sports Pack nationwide, but it can only show Red Sox and Bruins games within New England sans Fairfield County. Conversely, if you have DirecTV and get the Sports Pack in Springfield, you would not be able to get Yankees or Mets games; just the non-game programming. For MLB, the Red Sox territory is all of New England sans Fairfield County. The Yankees and Mets territory includes all of NY state and CT, the northern half of NJ, and the northeastern portion (Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area) of PA. There are some weird quirks in MLB territories: Matamoras, PA is closer to Boston than it is to Pittsburgh, but is considered in-market for the Pirates. Charlotte, NC is 500 miles from Cincinnati, but the Reds claim it as part of their territory. Fishers Island, NY is 100 miles from NYC, 2 miles off the coast of Groton, and only 6 miles as the crow flies from Westerly, RI, and is considered out of market for the Red Sox (the latter 2 are in-market). If you are considered in-market, you can get the game through you cable/satellite/streaming provider, or through one of the available apps (FOX Sports Go, NBC Sports, NESNGo) by authenticating a cable/satellite/streaming subscription. In Fairfield County, if you want to see the Red Sox, you have to buy either the Extra Innings or MLB.TV package, which can be a little expensive unless you get it through T-Mobile. Here is a link to the map:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/11...itorialmap.jpg
https://www.mlb.com/live-stream-game...t-restrictions

Old 11-05-2018, 11:26 AM

167 posts, read 175,737 times
Today's answer is likely bandwagoners. If you live in FFC you're about an hour to Yankee Stadium, The Meadowlands, or MSG. You're looking at three hours to get to Boston. I believe Manchester or East Hartford is the geographical midpoint between Boston and NYC. Maybe there are enough second and third-gen CTers that their parents's or grandparents's roots in NY don't play a role in their fandom anymore. TV availability also has to play a huge role, as other posters have mentioned.

I grew up in a New Haven suburb and there were a decent number of Red Sox fans but Yankee fans far outnumbered them. There were probably more Red Sox fans than Mets fans but it was--excuse the pun--in the same ballpark. There was nary a Patriot fan; I'd say it was 85% Giants fans, 10% Jets fans, and 5% Patriots fans (not counting the tons of Cowboys and 49er fans). The Celtics dynasty of the 80s was dying when I was first getting really big into sports. There were plenty of Knicks fans but the second most popular team was the Bulls, hell they may have been the most popular. I knew very few Celtics fans as a kid. As far as I can remember, TV played a huge role in this. That and where your parents were from (my father is from NY). Times change but given the proximity to NYC I'm surprised by this development. A bunch of bandwagoners. I blame LeBron and Kevin Durant's influence on kids these days! #YellsAtCloud.

Last edited by Smooth21; 11-05-2018 at 11:35 AM..

Old 11-05-2018, 03:16 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth21 View Post
I grew up in a New Haven suburb and there were a decent number of Red Sox fans but Yankee fans far outnumbered them. There were probably more Red Sox fans than Mets fans but it was--excuse the pun--in the same ballpark. There was nary a Patriot fan
Strange that there’d be more support for the Red Sox than the Pats in New Haven. Not only is Foxborough closer to New Haven than Boston, but the Pats theoretically represent CT just as much as they do MA, whereas the Sox are strongly tied to Boston.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:27 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Strange that there’d be more support for the Red Sox than the Pats in New Haven. Not only is Foxborough closer to New Haven than Boston, but the Pats theoretically represent CT just as much as they do MA, whereas the Sox are strongly tied to Boston.
What? Foxborough is 30 miles from Boston. New Haven is 120 miles to Foxborough. Jay

Old 11-05-2018, 08:09 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
What? Foxborough is 30 miles from Boston. New Haven is 120 miles to Foxborough. Jay
Guess it should have read “closer to New Haven than Boston is”? I don’t know. Comparatives are hard.

Gillette is more accessible to someone who lives in New Haven than Fenway.

EDIT: Actually, upon doing a google maps search, it doesn’t take that much longer to drive to Fenway from New Haven. You learn something new every day.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:35 PM

205 posts, read 162,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth21 View Post
Manchester or East Hartford is the geographical midpoint between Boston and NYC.

I think it's a little farther south and west than that. I remember there was a discussion of the halfway point between MetLife and Gillette, and it fell somewhere in Durham. I'm about 77 miles as the crow flies (93 by car) from Citi Field, 76 miles as the crow flies (97 by car) from Yankee Stadium, and 105 miles as the crow flies (117 by car) from Fenway. Using Google maps to draw a straight line from home plate at Yankee Stadium to home plate at Fenway, it is a hair under 180 miles (179.87 to be exact). The midway point would fall about a mile west of Lake Pocotapaug in East Hampton.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:13 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,878,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The last year of I Love Lucy plus the following one-hour specials called The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, were set in Westport, Connecticut. It was a prominent part of the show and included the characters being a part of a local statute dedication (there is a real statute in Westport) and several community events which actually occurred in town. The Show's set was based on actual homes in Westport and the backdrop outside the set's windows featured real homes and landscapes from the town. Jay

https://ilovefc.com/2006/12/01/when-...rt-loved-lucy/

https://www.westport-news.com/reales...rn-6236262.php

Lucy in Westport

No I meant the forum that talked about I Love Lucy having it's last season having the characters in CT said the same about the last season of the Goldbergs, but they were wrong in that Haverville (the Goldbergs) was in Long Island, not CT. I never disputed that the last season of I Love Lucy they move to CT. I can see rereading it how it might be confused.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:12 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
No I meant the forum that talked about I Love Lucy having it's last season having the characters in CT said the same about the last season of the Goldbergs, but they were wrong in that Haverville (the Goldbergs) was in Long Island, not CT. I never disputed that the last season of I Love Lucy they move to CT. I can see rereading it how it might be confused.
Sorry I misunderstood. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut