U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-23-2018, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Northeast states
10,451 posts, read 7,454,491 times
Reputation: 2759

Advertisements

Bridgeport: Black Rock area west of Ellsworth Street, North End area north of Capital Ave and west of Main Street

Stratford: North of Barnum Avenue

Milford

New Haven: East Rock, Downtown, Wooster Square
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-24-2018, 12:10 PM
 
7 posts, read 5,158 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks again everyone. This has been really helpful and I think I have narrowed down the places I want to look to West Haven and Stratford area. The commute time by train from both places seem to work for my schedule and I have been able to find quite a few apartments in West Haven at least that are in my budget range.

I'll check out a few of the other places mentioned here once I visit the office and maybe I'll fall in love with one of the other areas and be able to find something in my price range
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2018, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
15,907 posts, read 22,222,399 times
Reputation: 5350
Quote:
Originally Posted by itchyforehead View Post
I will be transferring offices from Ohio to Westport in Spring of 19 and I am looking for apartments an hour or less away from Westport for under $1,000. So far I have found some in Bridgeport, Branford, West Haven, Waterbury, New Haven, Wallingford, and Old Saybrook that are in my price range. I am not familiar with any of those areas and I want to learn a bit more about quality of life in each of them.

I have tried to do my own research but I'm finding a lot of biased posts from people who seemed to have had one or two negative experiences in a city and I don't want that to taint my perception. I've had a couple of negative experiences in my current city but would consider it relatively safe for its size. I have also heard people comment on how terrible Bridgeport is but none of those comments elaborated on why they felt that way. I guess what I'm looking for is someone to breakdown each of those places in an unbiased manner to help me narrow down my decision of where to look. Right now I am leaning towards Branford because it looks nice and I have yet to see complaints about it.

If it helps, I am 24 and will be moving alone. I don't care about the bar scene so the town I live in doesn't have to be "happening" at night, but some activities or being near some activities would be great. My main concern though is living in a decent city that is relatively safe, affordable, and not too far from Westport.
If your office is transferring you and isn’t giving you a significant pay bump, you need to rethink the move. $1k in lower Fairfield County gets you almost nothing.

And I’d think twice about a long commute. Traffic along 95/15 in southern CT is among the worst in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2018, 07:11 PM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
14,871 posts, read 18,197,925 times
Reputation: 3417
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
If your office is transferring you and isn’t giving you a significant pay bump, you need to rethink the move. $1k in lower Fairfield County gets you almost nothing.

And I’d think twice about a long commute. Traffic along 95/15 in southern CT is among the worst in the country.
Cmon now. A Westport commute is not that bad. I did it for years and it was fine. No different from most major metro commutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2018, 07:53 PM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
15,907 posts, read 22,222,399 times
Reputation: 5350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Cmon now. A Westport commute is not that bad. I did it for years and it was fine. No different from most major metro commutes.
I said “I’d think twice about a long commute”, not “I’d think twice about a Milford to Westport commute”.

But that being said, I’m not sure where in Milford someone can get an apartment for under $1k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2018, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Connecticut
24,937 posts, read 40,573,172 times
Reputation: 7130
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I said “I’d think twice about a long commute”, not “I’d think twice about a Milford to Westport commute”.

But that being said, I’m not sure where in Milford someone can get an apartment for under $1k.
There are several on Hotpads and Craigslist. Jay

https://hotpads.com/10-broadway-milf...ce=0-1000&z=13

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/sear...date=all+dates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2018, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
14,871 posts, read 18,197,925 times
Reputation: 3417
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I said “I’d think twice about a long commute”, not “I’d think twice about a Milford to Westport commute”.

But that being said, I’m not sure where in Milford someone can get an apartment for under $1k.
Not just Milford. Westport/Fairfield are on the edge of the worst traffic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2018, 03:06 PM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
15,907 posts, read 22,222,399 times
Reputation: 5350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Not just Milford. Westport/Fairfield are on the edge of the worst traffic
Nah - Westport is in the thick of it. Traffic doesn’t break until heading north into Bridgeport past 27a. In the morning, it starts right at the Fairfield line where the highway narrows.

I drove CT’s southwestern highways for hundreds of miles daily. I’m pretty familiar with the traffic patterns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2018, 05:41 PM
 
Location: Northeast states
10,451 posts, read 7,454,491 times
Reputation: 2759
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Nah - Westport is in the thick of it. Traffic doesn’t break until heading north into Bridgeport past 27a. In the morning, it starts right at the Fairfield line where the highway narrows.

I drove CT’s southwestern highways for hundreds of miles daily. I’m pretty familiar with the traffic patterns.
Downtown Stamford to Bridgeport exit 27A is heavy traffic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2018, 12:32 AM
 
5 posts, read 1,168 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by itchyforehead View Post
Thanks again everyone. This has been really helpful and I think I have narrowed down the places I want to look to West Haven and Stratford area. The commute time by train from both places seem to work for my schedule and I have been able to find quite a few apartments in West Haven at least that are in my budget range.

I'll check out a few of the other places mentioned here once I visit the office and maybe I'll fall in love with one of the other areas and be able to find something in my price range
You might consider an in-law apt or (if you’re lucky) guest house. Here’s a 1-bedroom in-law apt for $1,100 in Norwalk:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/a...759675091.html

I also saw a studio in-law apt in Fairfield for $900 on craigslist here:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/a...759242229.html

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top