Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 3,388 times

Advertisements

I have no idea how to post here, but The Tax Man is after me. Can you be charged taxes on a car, that is not registered, dead, sitting in my driveway? I am being slapped with hundred of dollars..and I can't get an answer from the tax dept except attitudes. Lost here...thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 09:22 AM

66 posts, read 261,508 times
if you own the car, then it's your property. thus, it is subject to property tax. Whether it's registered or not is irrelevant.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:31 AM

2 posts, read 3,388 times
Cool thank you

but let me ask you something, so thta mean junk yards have to pay for their junked cars also? or is that a dif law? I had cars before sitting in my back yard for years and i didn't get taxed on. is this new?

Old 04-05-2008, 09:36 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,629,547 times
Default Schools in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhicks View Post
i would imagine at a guess that the schools in madison would be better but is that really the case. I am vering towards public schools due to th eproperty tax issue - dont see the point in paying twice for the same thing if we dont have to
Madison schools score slightly higher on CT's standardized tests, but both towns are far above the state's standards and average scores. The state's standards are high relative to other states, but they do not measure "excellence" so much as "acceptable performance."

What I have heard, from people in both towns, is that Guilford's system encourages individuality moreso than Madison's, which follows a more formulaic approach and emphasizes metrics. That is all just people talking, though, so I would regard it with some skepticism.

The very best school in Connecticut (private) is Choate Rosemary Hall in Wallingford. It's one of the best private schools in the U.S. If you were really intent on the "best" education, that school is hard to beat in CT. Phillips Academy (Andover, Massachusetts) and Phillips Exeter Academy (Exeter, New Hampshire) are regarded as the best schools in the nation. They are private boarding schools roughly analogous to the UK's Eton College, about 2.5 and 3.5 hours away, respectively, from Guilford/Madison.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:06 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
Let's put Lyme disease into perspective. I am an infectious diseases physician and while there is some Lyme disease, I would say that you have a greater chance of getting influenza than getting Lyme disease. Lyme disease is all over the US AND the EU. It's not unique to the US. It's not as if people are fleeing the US because of Lyme disease.

If you have pets, check them daily for ticks (including between the toes and under the ear flaps). Check yourself daily - behind the knees and under the arms are places ticks can hide. Take normal precautions and you'll be FINE.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:35 AM

893 posts, read 791,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Let's put Lyme disease into perspective. I am an infectious diseases physician and while there is some Lyme disease, I would say that you have a greater chance of getting influenza than getting Lyme disease. Lyme disease is all over the US AND the EU. It's not unique to the US. It's not as if people are fleeing the US because of Lyme disease.

If you have pets, check them daily for ticks (including between the toes and under the ear flaps). Check yourself daily - behind the knees and under the arms are places ticks can hide. Take normal precautions and you'll be FINE.
My vet has tried to scare the you know what out of me about this. He says it is a major problem here. I have little inside dogs and they already use frontline plus.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:54 AM

It's actually a WORSE problem with pets: that fur REALLY makes it hard to find the little critters! I check my dog EVERY day, a couple of times a day, when we're in the country at our house there. And I do use frontline. The important thing is to get the tick off the animal within 24h of attachment. And SAVE the tick if you have any doubt - your vet should be able to identify the species!

I would also add that ehrlichiosis is ALSO transmitted by ticks and is far more serious with regard to the acute disease. While much more common in pets, it's also seen in people!

Old 04-06-2008, 10:29 PM
sun

683 posts, read 2,125,056 times
The information listed below comes from the Lyme Disease Foundation, Inc website - Lyme Disease Foundation (http://www.lyme.org/index.html - broken link) :
Quote:
Lyme Disease Risk Assessments
Studies of Lyme disease done by the U.S. Army at various military installations from 1983 to 1996.

Lyme Disease Risk Assessments - Done by U.S. Army, 1983-1996 (http://www.utech.net/users/10766/lyme.htm - broken link)
Quote:
In 1991, the State of Connecticut Department of Health Services
reported 1,192 cases of Lyme disease statewide that meet the Centers for
Disease Control (CDC) guidelines. There were 290 reported cases meeting
CDC guidelines in 1991 in New London County where SRMR is located.

The tick infection rate at this 2000 acre installation was 37%:

Stones Ranch Military Reservation, 1992 - HIGH Risk
http://members.utech.net/users/10766/022.txt (broken link)
Quote:
The tick infection rate at the CT submarine base was 11%:

Naval Submarine Base-New London, 1995 - HIGH Risk new
http://members.utech.net/users/10766/099.txt (broken link)

There's usually more ticks and higher tick activity when we have warmer winters. Immigrants & tourists need to be aware of the risks so that they can take the necessary precautions to try to protect themselves and their loved ones.

Last edited by sun; 04-06-2008 at 10:41 PM..

Old 04-07-2008, 11:37 AM

Your most recent data are over TEN years old....

Old 04-08-2008, 11:27 AM
sun

683 posts, read 2,125,056 times
That's true, it's just military data that I quickly found available. But it does represent part of the historical record and illuminate the potential disease risks in a part of southern CT.
Have the disease patterns and infection statistics in CT counties changed much since then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut