Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2008, 07:25 PM

5 posts, read 14,330 times

Advertisements

Scenario: A mom relocating to New Haven, Connecticut this summer is looking for best high school(s)/district(s) for an upcoming sophomore boy who has Aspberger's.

ANY help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. I am the significant other of the father of this child. His mother is relocating and is considering giving up custody and leaving him behind because he is such a handful. This has left an enormous strain on my own family, as all of this just fell into our laps, not to mention a lot of heartache for this boy's siblings who miss him very much.

I'm really in need of some good advice so I can help change this mother's mind and get him back with his family.

Thank you so much for any guidance/information you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 08:08 PM

19 posts, read 61,287 times
I'm from the Hartford area so I'm not an expert on that area, but I know that there are a load of good towns in the New Haven area. Madison, Guilford, Cheshire and the Amity Regional towns (Orange, Woodbridge, Bethany) are probably your best options, as they all are great suburbs with highly regarded school systems that I'm sure would take your son through a smooth transision. The main drawback for all these schools is that they are all pretty expensive. Madison and Woodbridge are the most affluent, but you can still find decent houses in the 250-300K range. Other towns to consider are North Haven, North Branford, Oxford, Wallingford, and possibly the Southbury/Middlebury area if that's not far. Good luck in your search.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:20 PM

Thank you so much for responding...this is my first experience with posting messages. His mom is moving right into the town of New Haven - right by Yale....I'm hoping to find a public school that has a good reputation in dealing with Aspberger's.

Again, thanks so much for your help!

Old 04-05-2008, 01:46 PM

34,914 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Check out the link below for information on different school systems. Jay

Strategic School Profiles by District

Old 04-07-2008, 11:37 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
You might want to consider phoning the Yale Child Study Center Developmental Disabilities Clinic to see if someone there might have some ideas about which school districts might be relatively suitable.
Best of luck to you.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:33 AM

999 posts, read 4,651,484 times
I know you said Public High School, but it may be difficult to get a quality program in a "regular" public school if his issues are bad enough for his mom to consider leaving him behind.....there is a PUBLIC program called A.C.E.S. that I have heard good things about, check link:

ACES - Special Education Schools
ACES - Whitney High School East/West

He would have to be placed there based on an IEP placement meeting, but it is certainly worth looking into if it fits him.

Good luck

Old 04-27-2008, 01:37 PM

Thank you to everyone who has offered suggestions! I did some research on the Yale Child Study Center and it sounds promising. I will also check into ACES....this has been such a nightmare....I'm still trying to convince mom not to split up the kids.

Again, thanks!

Old 04-28-2008, 10:10 AM

146 posts, read 453,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blawson View Post
Scenario: A mom relocating to New Haven, Connecticut this summer is looking for best high school(s)/district(s) for an upcoming sophomore boy who has Aspberger's.

ANY help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. I am the significant other of the father of this child. His mother is relocating and is considering giving up custody and leaving him behind because he is such a handful. This has left an enormous strain on my own family, as all of this just fell into our laps, not to mention a lot of heartache for this boy's siblings who miss him very much.

I'm really in need of some good advice so I can help change this mother's mind and get him back with his family.

Thank you so much for any guidance/information you can provide.

So sad - this is a tough situation.

The Yale Child Study Center is WORLD-RENOWNED in their treatment and research of pervasive disorders (autism, Asperger's, etc). See their site at
Yale Developmental Disabilities Clinic - Information

The Town of Orange has a reputation for a good special needs program in their education system. I don't know what her budget is for housing though. No matter what town she's in she will need to advocate for him to get his services.

There is also a private foundation called SARAH -Inc SARAH Inc. provides services in CT for children and adults with disabilities that provides education and assistance with families with special needs issues.

I also found CT Autism Spectrum Resource Center The CT Autism Spectrum Resource Center that might be able to provide some support.
I hope this helps some what -- good luck!

Old 05-12-2008, 06:57 PM

Thanks so much! I'm finding everyone's suggestions most helpful! It is a sad situation, but I think we are making some progress with researching options for the boy.

Thanks again to everyone who has lent support!

Old 05-13-2008, 01:17 PM

34,914 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Glad to have helped. Please let us know how it turns out. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut