U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 05:16 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,455,537 times

Advertisements

My wife and I had this same conversation last night. Here in SC all roads have the reflectors, it is awesome but not practical for CT.

Also, “glow paint” is actually epoxy marking paint with glass flakes thrown on top. Acts both as a reflector and prevents the paint from sticking to tires.

I’ve watched/ stood next too working countless miles and miles and miles of 95 being striped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 06:29 AM

129 posts, read 51,971 times
I just wish there’s a solution to road conditions and safety. Driving on a wrong lane during rush hour was bad enough for me.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:49 AM

11,952 posts, read 6,178,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
So you all understand, Connecticut did test these reflectors but found that they were not durable enough. Between the plow damage and the affects of freeze and thaw on them, by the end of the winter season most were missing or damaged. It was not worth the cost and work to maintain them. Installing and replacing them meant closing down lanes which is very difficult and expensive. Jay

There are lots of snow belt states that have reflectors and put the ones that fail back every spring. Vermont uses durable pavement markers on all the major secondary roads. They replace about 1/3 of them every year. This is a typical example of the pathetic Connecticut road infrastructure. 50 years of "it's not worth the cost of....".

Old 11-10-2018, 08:09 AM

66,099 posts, read 48,254,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBritainCT_native89 View Post
Additionally, those new LED street lights make everything look so dark..
Not only that but those new LEDs are blinding if you look directly at them. I HATE the bright Daylight White lights! Folks, you can get LED's in warm light (yellowish like incandescents used to be). Look at the Kelvin color spectrum. Anything over 5000 is bright white. Anything under 2000 is very yellow.

As far as the reflectors... They can be recessed! No plow will damage a recessed reflector. Problem is... Who is going to make the cut outs to recess them all in... and we would need a ton of them.

It is tough in heavy rain and snow to see the double yellow but I'm guessing a simple repaint of that section is needed. Car lights should be sufficient enough to see it even in heavy rain.

Contact that local town and bring it up for that area you encountered

Old 11-10-2018, 08:17 AM

24,949 posts, read 40,588,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
There are lots of snow belt states that have reflectors and put the ones that fail back every spring. Vermont uses durable pavement markers on all the major secondary roads. They replace about 1/3 of them every year. This is a typical example of the pathetic Connecticut road infrastructure. 50 years of "it's not worth the cost of....".
Vermont uses epoxy resin paint, just like Connecticut. Connecticut uses durable pavement markings for key features like stop bars and lane assignment arrows and has a program to replace markings on its roads annually, not every 3 years. Remember that Connecticut roads have a lot more traffic than Vermont roads which wears out marking quickly. This is what most states do and that is hardly pathetic. Jay

Old 11-10-2018, 10:19 AM

15,911 posts, read 22,231,291 times
Iím not sure why people are advocating for these. The benefit is minimal and cost canít be cheap. If they lasted awhile, sure, but they wonít in CT. Waste of taxpayer dollars.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:48 AM

24,949 posts, read 40,588,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Iím not sure why people are advocating for these. The benefit is minimal and cost canít be cheap. If they lasted awhile, sure, but they wonít in CT. Waste of taxpayer dollars.
Exactly what ConnDOT concluded. What they are now trying with some success is recessed pavement markings. This where you mill the road surface for the line so it is lower than the surface of the road. I believe they tried it on sections of I-84 around Hartford. They have not decided if this will become the standard or not. Again it is more expensive so it may not be worth it if they find it does not extend the life of the pavement markings. Jay

Old 11-10-2018, 11:39 AM

3,305 posts, read 1,925,108 times
PA uses them and while they are helpful when they are new, they are just as worthless as everything else once they get worn. Or they start doing construction and tear everything up.

Is it the LEDs that are making us all batty? I'm driving a car 20 years newer than I was a year ago - with fog lights - and I can't see **** at night. I'm going to put a new pair of headlights in but I'm not convinced that's my entire issue.

I drove back from New York a year ago and I could see best on roads that were completely dark with only my headlights. It's like there's too much light now - not enough to make it daylight but too much to give us contrast.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:53 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,921,729 times
I poked around a bit due to my incessant need for useless information.

3M make a raised reflector that can be used in plowed areas. They cost about $4 each but installation and replacement take some time.

Here in MA, they do install reflectors in recesses in many areas. Rt 495 was just paved between Middleboro and 195 - the recesses are there waiting for the reflectors.

I was on 495 on the north end of 95 today and the sun was hitting the reflectors just right. I noticed in my mirror that they were red - I presume it's a safety device so that cars going the wrong way at night will see the red and hopefully get off the road.

Old Today, 08:55 AM

11,952 posts, read 6,178,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Vermont uses epoxy resin paint, just like Connecticut. Connecticut uses durable pavement markings for key features like stop bars and lane assignment arrows and has a program to replace markings on its roads annually, not every 3 years. Remember that Connecticut roads have a lot more traffic than Vermont roads which wears out marking quickly. This is what most states do and that is hardly pathetic. Jay

I was just on I-91 coming down from Vermont in sleet & freezing rain on Sunday night after the Patriots debacle in Pittsburgh. Massachusetts I-91 has reflectors embedded in the asphalt at every white dashed line. That part of Massachusetts gets more snow and sees far more plowing than anywhere in Connecticut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or