U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 11:21 AM

3,870 posts, read 2,033,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
GE only transferred 200 jobs from Connecticut to Boston, not 800. The other 600 jobs were transferred to Norwalk so I would think Massachusetts would be disappointed that they did not get as much as they hoped from the deal. It was only after Jeff Imelt was ousted that the true condition of the company came out. It is sad that this once mighty company that was at the top of corporate American is struggling so badly. Jay
I should have elaborated - 200 jobs moved, 600 new jobs in research and development - for a total of 800 by 2024 was the target for the city incentive to kick in with 400 needed for a partial incentive. The most recent number is about 235 so they've gotten none of the $25 million city incentive but have given about $20 million to local schools and causes and $7 million annually to partner with the Celtics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 11:46 AM

15,013 posts, read 18,467,760 times
The PR damage far outweighed the actual damage. And Malloy was TERRIBLE at PR. Might be his biggest weakness.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:47 AM

17,557 posts, read 6,667,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
I should have elaborated - 200 jobs moved, 600 new jobs in research and development - for a total of 800 by 2024 was the target for the city incentive to kick in with 400 needed for a partial incentive. The most recent number is about 235 so they've gotten none of the $25 million city incentive but have given about $20 million to local schools and causes and $7 million annually to partner with the Celtics.
excellent!

Hate it when corps going through bad periods cut charitable works

Old 11-13-2018, 01:53 PM

1,783 posts, read 896,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
"Didn't we see something similar in the Movie "Good Fellas"? Where the mob took over a successful restaurant, loaded it up with debt, stole all the removable assets and then torched it?

....you bust the joint out, you light a match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPtjyqgZAUk (there are a lot of "F" words in this clip so I don't know if it can stay on here)

Lol, you might be right about GE. My cousin went to Boston and she was one of the people that got laid off. I have been thinking the same thing watching the stock go down.

Old 11-13-2018, 02:14 PM

5,051 posts, read 4,677,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

....you bust the joint out, you light a match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPtjyqgZAUk (there are a lot of "F" words in this clip so I don't know if it can stay on here)

Lol, you might be right about GE. My cousin went to Boston and she was one of the people that got laid off. I have been thinking the same thing watching the stock go down.
CTartist, I laughed like a maniac when I saw that Goodfellas comparison in that comment, because it really is accurate. Same thing, different method of execution. GE is not the only corporation guilty of this maneuver. It's unfortunate, but the financialization of major US corporations has left many of them hollowed out shells. I honestly think the people who are in the managements of some of these organizations actually resent having to produce anything. It's all about financial grift. I hate to say it, but one of the former governors of Massachusetts, Mitt Romney, was one of the masters of busting the joint out while at Bain Capital. Or so they say.

Old 11-13-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
The PR damage far outweighed the actual damage. And Malloy was TERRIBLE at PR. Might be his biggest weakness.
I have to agree with this. I don't understand it, either. I watched him go head to head with Tucker Carlson, not an easy thing to do when Tucker is gunning for you, and thought he acquitted himself quite well. Others may disagree, but it was the first time I ever saw Malloy do an interview and after hearing all the bad PR about him, I wondered what all the dissing was about.

I give him props for not caving to GE.

There is hope for Connecticut, I do think the state can overcome its financial situation and other challenges. The citizens do seem to be engaged and that's a good thing.

Old 11-13-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:

The citizens do seem to be engaged and that's a good thing.
Always, and we must demand excellence in leaders. Not mediocre, not doing ok. Thriving. Adding corps. Adding GDP. That must be the norm.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Always, and we must demand excellence in leaders. Not mediocre, not doing ok. Thriving. Adding corps. Adding GDP. That must be the norm.
How about excellence in products? Here's a video from 2016 regarding a disastrous GE appliance kitchen remodel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlqB...ature=youtu.be

Old 11-13-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
How about excellence in products? Here's a video from 2016 regarding a disastrous GE appliance kitchen remodel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlqB...ature=youtu.be

absolutely

Old 11-13-2018, 07:05 PM

4,839 posts, read 2,535,133 times
You guys might be interested in this story of the rise of Haier from a failing refrigerator manufacturer that GE wanted to buy to successfully turning around and ended up buying GE (their appliance division) instead.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WK7mxBy1fNw

There's a lesson to be learned from this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or